June 2011 Moms
Options

Poor Baby! (poop problem)

So my daughter (17 days old) has been struggling to get poop out since around 6 am this morning. The problem being that the poop is dry and much too large for her to pass. This is the most upset I have ever seen her. It isn't a constant pain. She is sleeping right now :) But it comes and it goes. She gets it almost past the sphincter, but cannot quite get it out. I called an advice nurse, and she gave me several suggestions, and said to call my pediatrician if it hasn't passed by tomorrow. My biggest concern was her getting so backed up that it created a blockage, which could be very very detrimental to her health.

Suggestions:

Take a thermometer with the end coated in vaseline, then insert into anus in/out for ten seconds. (An almost success, but still not getting it past).

A warm wet cotton ball can be pressed against the anal opening for however long it takes to get her to relax her sphincter and pass the feces. (stimulated, but nothing past the anus, yet again).

A warm bath often relaxes baby and LO will have a bowel movement in the tub. (This came so close to working).

I tried a q-tip with a lubricant and inserted just the tip and moved in circles very gently. No success.

My sister recommended a bottle with warm water, but I have been told giving a newborn water can make the infant lose her desire for breast milk and/or formula. She isn't up to her birth weight yet, and I'm trying to hard to get her on the breast 100%, so I haven't tried this yet. 

So, it's night night time for us, but I'm taking her in first thing in the morning, as instructed by the nurse, unless something miraculous happens. I feel soooo bad for her. This is probably the worst pain she has felt thus far. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Poor Baby! (poop problem)

• Options
    Poor baby! I hope it clears out soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Poor thing, my LO is having problems too. She will go 2 days between BMs, but when she has them--they're quite explosive!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"