Food Allergy
Options

What would you make of today's events? (Reaction?)

In addition to DD's peanut allergy, she has SUPER sensitive skin (eczema as a baby) and reacts to lots of lotions or scented products. She was playing in the water all day yesterday, with a sunscreen we've used before, and woke up this morning with a light rash all across her belly. It was tiny red dots, slightly raised, concentrated only on her abdomen. I thought it was irritation for either the sunscreen or being in a wet swim diaper for so long...

About an hour after waking up, my sister accidentally gave her Banana Nut Cheerios (COME ON!) but caught it after just one bite. Within about 10 minutes, it looked like that same rash (pinpoint red dots) had spread to her shoulders, legs, feet, and back. Just to be safe, I gave her Benadryl and the rash cleared a little but didn't totally go away.

Around lunchtime I noticed that the rash looked TERRIBLE in her diaper area, bright red and ALL OVER every area within her diaper and a little on her thighs. Abdomen and legs looked fine. Then this afternoon she had 5-6 bites of pickle (which she's had before), and by bathtime the rash was full-body again. Gave her more Benadryl and 30 minutes later she vomited everything she'd eaten since lunch.

She's now asleep, but I can't figure out what the heck is going on. Could the rash and (delayed) vomiting be related to the almond in the cheerios? Or does that kind of rash not sound like a food allergy reaction?

Any food allergy rashes she's had in the past have started on her face and hands as hives and then spread. Today there was no rash on her face, no large hives, just this spotted rash on her torso and legs/shoulders/bottom.

Any clues? Any similar experiences? Think the vomiting was just a fluke, or related to something else? 

Re: What would you make of today's events? (Reaction?)

• Options

first thought....it could be viral?  does she seem well otherwise?  if she had sunscreen all over and only broke out in certain areas i probably wouldn't question it as much.  there are certain foods that can cause bumps to appear on the torso even without being allergic.  pineapple is a good example, it is detoxifying and if she had a little bug or something, ate some pineapple it could cause a rash...sounds like her inflammation is really kicked up.  what else has she had to eat?  that might be a better clue =)

I do think it could also be a delayed reaction to the cheerios.  We see delayed reactions a lot and it is so hard to try and figure out where/what the reaction originated from sometimes.

• Options
    I hate when that stuff happens.  It's so hard to figure out :(  Could there have been something else in the pool area?  Like someone with coconut oil/some other lotion holding her or near her?  I hope she's feeling better now!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Are they tiny red bumps, pretty close together but distinct?  DS#1 - who has environmental allergies - gets those.  He seems to get them on his chest, back and arms. His swim instructor pointed it out a couple of weeks ago and asked if he had chicken pox/measles.  Then today we spent four hours at the pool and I noticed he had them again.  And he said he was itchy. After he took a shower he was fine.

I'm wondering if the skin rash is related to the pool chemicals.  In your case, it seems there might be two different things at work.  The contact skin rash and the delayed almond rash/vomiting could be different things.  Poor LO!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options

That's why i call myself a detective mom.. instances like this and trying to figure out what the heck did my LO react to.

My first thought was did anyone else give your LO something earlier? We do not allow anyone other than me, my DH and my nanny to give my son food.(it's extreme but prevents any accidents. 

i think the vomiting and late rashes are caused by a delayed reaction.  if my son had accidental exposure, it will go on for days.. sometimes gets worse before better.  Hopefully she's better now..

• Options

If it were me, I would be on the phone with my pediatrician. I know that I can get a rash just from sun exposure, but with the kids, any rash that starts on the torso and is accompanied by vomiting or fever is something my doctor wants to evaluate, at least with a phone conversation. I would tell your doc everything you included in your post--allergy suspicion, partital relief from benadryl, exposure to known allergen before vomiting, etc--and let him/her help you with the next step. It's important to be a good dectective, but it's also good to call in for help sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"