July 2011 Moms
Options

contractions 4 mins apart for a few hours now, advice?

You all probably know by now that this happens to me a lot, my contractions get really close and I dont go into actual labor.

So they have been 3-4 minutes apart for over 2 hours now. They are not really painful, water won't spread them out, nor will changing my position. I even tried a hot shower, no luck.

If this is actual labor how long will it be before they get closer or more painful. That is what I am waiting for now before going to L&D.

TIA!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: contractions 4 mins apart for a few hours now, advice?

• Options

Well, if they're that close and really regular, you have an excuse to go in and get checked at least. I get what you're saying though about them not being painful. Some moms really don't feel that much though, and since you're a second timer, I'd say if they're just super regular like that, you might as well call your doc, go get checked, and at least have a little info. Maybe?

Were they any further apart for a while before the 4 mins thing? I can't tell you when they'd get painful, but really if it's real, 4 mins is close enough to just go. Yeah, you might end up being sent home, but heck, seeing the hospital might even get your body to stop ;). I feel sometimes like false labor exists to make sure we're humble before we become parents, and even moreso before we become parents again! Good luck. I hope it either shows itself to be true labor or stops bothering you! 

• Options
    my practioner says if you're contractions 4-5 mins apart for an hour to go in to the hospital OR if you think your water may have broken. this is my first pregnancy and I'm sure everyone is different so I'm not sure that anyone will be able to say exactly how long it will be. you might want to call an advice nurse if you haven't already.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I have just been to the hospital so many times that I feel the need to wait for something more. (luckily it is 5 minutes away so if things get crazy I won't deliver in the car) I am going to try going for a walk to see if that changes anything
  • Options
    Call your doctor.
  • Options

I had them on Wednesday night for almost 4 hours about 3-5 minutes apart, they did not hurt too bad, I went to L/D and was sent home, not dilated enough, but yes you are contracting a LOT.

I'd wait until they get painful - that is what I was told when I left L/D and to make sure I was not dehydrated, as that can cause contractions without actual labor. 

• Options
    I would at least call my OB if not head in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Options
    What did your dr. tell you? Mine told me to call when they were 2 min. apart, which I did and he told me to go in. 

• Options

having some insight into your history, if i were you i'd go in if they get to be 3 minutes apart for an hour, OR if this continues for another hour or two.

don't wait on the pain to kick in. so many women i've spoken with (in regard to natural birth) have said they waited for the worst pain of their life and never got it. your real pain might not start until 7 or 8. wouldn't that be fantastic?

good luck!

• Options
    imagemagpiebride61210:

having some insight into your history, if i were you i'd go in if they get to be 3 minutes apart for an hour, OR if this continues for another hour or two.

don't wait on the pain to kick in. so many women i've spoken with (in regard to natural birth) have said they waited for the worst pain of their life and never got it. your real pain might not start until 7 or 8. wouldn't that be fantastic?

good luck!

I agree with this, I'm a FTM, so I don't really know a good answer to your question, but my mom/aunts said that they only had "one bad pain, and then the baby was born."  If you're like them then it would be too late!

Good luck and keep us posted

• Options
    imagemagpiebride61210:

good luck!

I am going to wait for a more solid 3 minutes now but you are right, they might never really get very painful. I have had somewhat painful ones too without dilation.  

And thanks everyone, I am up to 5 minutes apart now so not true labor yet and glad I did not go in, I am sure I would still be on the monitor.

Between this and Wednesday's hospital visit I think actual labor must me coming soon. 

• Options

imagembritto4:
    I would at least call my OB if not head in.

I should add to my other response that my OB is not on call tonight. Every other weekend the other OB is on call and she does not know my case too well. She would probably have me go in and keep me overnight when my contractions don't go away. 

If I could have talked to my OB I would have probably called. 

• Options
    My doctor and the doula that taught our natural birthing class said 5-1-1: 5 minutes apart, lasting one minute, for an hour, then call the doctor (not necessarily go to the hospital). Both emphasized that they should be the kind of contractions that take your breath away, need to stop for, and/or cannot talk through. If you can talk through them, or maintain focus on another activity, then I was told by both that it's okay to wait it out.
  • Options
    With my past history (which is similar to yours with consistent contractions that do nothing) I am waiting until they are 3 minutes apart or I am in so much pain I can't move. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemagpiebride61210:

good luck!

I'm so hoping I have a less painful experience this time, since last time I labored for long I had a cerclage in and that hurts like $%^&. So wow, that sounds good. Also, I just wanted to say your siggy pic is super adorable and I love it!

• Options
    imageamygoable:
    imagemagpiebride61210:

good luck!

I'm so hoping I have a less painful experience this time, since last time I labored for long I had a cerclage in and that hurts like $%^&. So wow, that sounds good. Also, I just wanted to say your siggy pic is super adorable and I love it!

i'm hoping you have a less painful experience too! that first labor sounds like a real blast (not really). i'm mentally preparing myself for the worst pain of my life, something i can't really understand now. this is how my brain works... if i plan for the worst, and i get less than that, even better!

thanks! my mom took the pic and i love it too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"