Baby Showers
Options

Gift Cards... What do you think?

What are your thoughts on giving a gift card (to the store the mother to be is registered at)? On one hand, they are able to get something on their registry that was not purchased for them.. But on the other hand, I know part of the fun is seeing all the great gifts the mother will be able to use?  Thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Gift Cards... What do you think?

• Options
    I've never met a gift card I didn't like :)
  • Options
    imagetmadden:
    Me neither :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBulldogMomma:
    imagetmadden:
    Me neither :)

agreed.

• Options

I think it's great.  Mom can use it towards a big purchase that wasn't bought, or to get some of the little items left. 

• Options

We had an out of state shower... we drove 800 miles for it.  Many people bought us gift cards to BRU (where we registered) and some people even gave us cash.  I've already used some of the gift cards to purchase a baby mattress and a Graco Snugrider frame.  I think gift cards are great to help purchase those larger things the mother-to-be might not get from her registry.

Before the shower, people asked my Mom if gift cards were OK.  My response "absolutely".  Target, Walmart, BRU, Kohl's, I wasn't picky.

• Options
    I don't like giving gift cards because I want the person to know that I put thought into their gift and I like creating a personal themed gift from registry items.  That said I do like receiving gift cards because like you said they allow me to fill in the things from the registry I didn't get.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm a well-known gift-card lover in my family. I've always said that giving a gift card is like giving two presents: the gift that is purchased with the card and the gift of shopping. 

The awesomeness of the gift of shopping can never be overstated.  

• Options
    Some people (mostly older, but some young too!) don't like to give gift cards because they think it's impersonal and not thoughtful. I can see how someone could feel that way, but really, when you think about it, most of the time a gift card is one of the most selfless gifts you can give! It makes it not about you (the giver) but about the recipient. It may not be as fun or as impressive, but it's wonderful for the recipient because they can truly get what they need. So, needless to say, I live gift cards and I'm all for them!
    Thunder Logo Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love getting gift cards. I was pretty sure noone was going to buy our breast pump but put it on the registry for the completion discount. A few people bought us gift cards and we were able to purchase it. :)
  • Options

I will usually give gift cards if there are only big ticket items left on the registry that way the parents-to-be can use it towards something they need.

I did this at for a bridal shower a few years ago. The least expensive thing on the registry were old fashion sized glasses that were $35 dollars each, everything else left was well over $100. (I don't have a problem with what she had on her registry, it was just out of my price range). It seemed weird to only show up with two little glasses so I went with a gift card.

BFP #1 4/22/11 Missed m/c 6/2/11 D&C 6/3/11 @ 10w1d
    BFP #2 10/13/11 c/p 10/17/11
    BFP #3 12/13/11 EDD 8/23/12 DS Born 8/27/12
  • Options
    I think they are great. The mother can combine gift cards or use some of her own money to buy a larger items she might not have received otherwise.
  • Options
    I was glad to get the giftcards/checks. After we combined them, we were abe to get some of the big ticket items we registered for.
  • Options

I love gift cards! I used mine to buy the rest of my registry when my showers were over :)

Then I used the extra for the little things I didn't think about needing- different types of pacifiers, diapers, a few cute little toys now and then, etc. 

• Options
    I love GC.  I used mine with a BRU coupon and the completion coupon to buy my pump plus other things I needed. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"