Attachment Parenting
Options

Help with Peanut Shell Sling and Newborn.....

DS2 is 10 days old and about 9 lbs right now.

I borrowed a peanut shell sling from my sister, which she never really used.

I have worn him a few times but it just feels odd. I went to the website and saw his bottom should be on the seam, which it is. But I am not sure I have him positioned correctly. I am a little paranoid because of the few infant deaths in slings, so I just want to be sure I'm carrying him correctly.

Where should his head be? Should it be even with my breasts? below them? above them? Does he face up or face towards me (like nursing belly-to-belly)? Should he be laying almost horizontal, 45 degree angle, or something else?

Sorry for these really basic questions. It may be a case of each mama/baby has to find their own comfortable position, and if so, that's fine...maybe I just need a little more practice to feel comfortable. I need to be able to wear him to chase my 2 year old! I also have a Mei Tai baby but haven't tried it out yet.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Help with Peanut Shell Sling and Newborn.....

• Options
    Congrats on ds2. Personally, I'm not a fan of the peanut shell. You have to get it sized and you'll be losing weight while he gains so it'll never be just right, IMO. Consider a cheap but awesome RS from www.sleepingbaby.net. To answer your question, you should be heart to heart With DS. You should be able to kiss his head without straining. His chin should be off his chest (keep windpipe straight) and his face should not be covered by fabric. Google positional asphyxiation and rebreathing. Or don't and just trust me because google will scare you. Do you have a Moby? HTH
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Options

Congrats on the new baby! The Peanut Shell is a type of pouch sling.  It can be used safe and you definitely want to make sure it fits correctly and your LO is positioned correctly - so way to go for following your instincts.  Pouch slings are harder to use than RS or wraps from the standpoint of fit and positioning, in my opinion, but they fold up small and can really be nice to stash in your diaper bag.  This is a good reference:

www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowTo/Positioning.pdf

Also, I hear Hotsling has some good instructions too.  So you may want to check there.

Also, to ease your mind a little, the Peanut Shell is not the type that was recalled due to positional asphyxiation - https://www.babyslingsafety.blogspot.com/ - this website shows bag slings and those were the type recalled.  But, as I'm sure you guessed, you can wear your baby incorrectly in almost anything so it's good to view directions until you're able to do it comfortably and safely.

You might want to join thebabywearer.com and post some photos - lots of those ladies will be able to help you too! HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageEmcat:
    Where should his head be? Should it be even with my breasts? below them? above them?  Your baby's head should be "close enough to kiss," so even with or below your breasts is most likely too low. Does he face up or face towards me (like nursing belly-to-belly)? Should he be laying almost horizontal, 45 degree angle, or something else?  Both tummy-to-tummy & cradle can be done.  It depends on what your LO likes.

Sorry for these really basic questions. It may be a case of each mama/baby has to find their own comfortable position, and if so, that's fine...maybe I just need a little more practice to feel comfortable. I need to be able to wear him to chase my 2 year old! I also have a Mei Tai baby but haven't tried it out yet.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!  First, the pouch has to be the right size for you.  These may help:  https://www.slinglings.com/index.php?main_page=wearing_instructions&position=3 

https://zolowear.com/Wearing.aspx#2

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"