July 2011 Moms
Options

Can you lose your mucous plug and not be dilated?

I went to the doctor today and had my first internal.  He said I was closed up tight. (Insert sad face and lots of ice cream here.)

But I could have sworn I lost my mucous plug. I am pretty dang positive I have, but I thought that you lose it once the cervix starts to dilate.  I just didn't know whether it was possible to lose it while still closed.

Thanks so much ladies!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can you lose your mucous plug and not be dilated?

• Options
    You might have just lost a small piece of it. I have heard that can happen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I never lost my mucous plug with either of my children. I dilated to 3cm and then had my water broke with LO and never lost it... 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesharonstevens85:
    I never lost my mucous plug with either of my children. I dilated to 3cm and then had my water broke with LO and never lost it... 

Oh wow, well I was greatly misinformed.  Thanks so much!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesharonstevens85:

Same here. I was 3 cm dilated for 3 weeks before DD was born, and she ended up coming late. Never lost my plug either. 

• Options
    I lost mine with DD about a week before my due date but never did end up dilating at all.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yep, definitely possible. I lost mine with DD and was barely a fingertip dilated when I went into labor with her and I lost mine at 34 weeks this time and was closed up tight. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageweebos8:

imagesharonstevens85:

Oh wow, well I was greatly misinformed.  Thanks so much!

I know, here I was jealous of everyone losing theirs and then went into labour before losing it! lol 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, I never recall losing mine with DD.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

FWIW, this was my experiance:

I went in for my regular 35wk appt on Tues. 6/21, had my GBS swab done and was told internals would begin at the 36wk appt. and that it looked like I was developing Pre-E. I started to lose my mucous plug Wed morning and continued to do so through out the night. Thursday a.m. my BP ( I have a cuff at home) was 160/112 so I called the Dr. office.

I was told to head to L&D to be monitered. After a u/s and NST they were considering discharging me when my water broke. I had still not dialted yet and they started pitocin. 

So I guess if you think you may have lost your plug take it easy and watch the amount of discharge you have. Being 38 wks it looks like you might be meeting your LO soon!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"