Health & Exercise
Options

5K early in pregnancy?

Hi, someone pointed me to this board.  (This is my first post on the bump.)

I just got a BFP this week, so I'm very early on in pregnancy.

I had previously signed up for a 5K; it's tomorrow.  I keep hearing it's ok to maintain your existing fitness level, and I did call the doctor to set up my first appointment and ask what level of running I should do tomorrow for the 5K.  Is it still ok to do and do you think it's ok to run the whole thing?

I started Couch to 5K end of February of this year and have now done 4 5Ks, including one on Father's Day.  I've been getting times from 28:30 (this past Sunday) to 33:07 depending on how hilly the course is.  And this will be a hilly one.

One other thing, though- I think I have low blood pressure.  I grew up with low blood pressure and it regulated finally in late college.  But yesterday and today I've been feeling a little bit lightheaded when I stand up/sit up too quickly, so I'm guessing my blood pressure is probably low. 

Re: 5K early in pregnancy?

• Options
    jenthjenth member
    Oh and I forgot to say, when I set up my first appointment, I asked about running.  I'm actually going with a midwife center, and apparently they're pretty busy with some women in labor.  The nurse practitioner, who usually answers these types of questions, is on vacation until Monday.  The receptionist said she'd try to get them to call me back today, but I haven't heard yet and it's 5:30 my time so I doubt I'll hear today.  But I did try to get a professional opinion on if I can run the race and how much I can exert myself...
  • Options
    jenthjenth member

Sorry, just saw thist post below.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/54792050.aspx

I'm going to get the book that's recommended in there and I'll run but just be careful tomorrow - if I start to feel lightheaded or something, I'll slow down or stop and make sure I drink a lot of water.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I ran a trail half at 10 weeks, I think that you should be fine as long as you keep at an exertion level where you can still talk.  Have fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First of all congrats on the BFP. Since a 5k is only just over 3 miles.... And I'm assuming you've been training for it, you should be fine. You can do pretty much what you were doing before you got your BFP, just listen to your body... If you start to feel weird just stop/walk and take a break. Make sure you eat well before, stay hydrated, and take a snack for after:) good luck
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jenthjenth member
    Thanks!  I appreciate the advice.
  • Options

I was signed up for a 25k at 9 weeks and the doctor said that was fine for me to do as long as my HR was around 140. I ended up dropping to the 10k because the weather was nasty and I did fine. Just remember to stay hydrated and have fun! Good luck!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ras26ras26 member
    It's totally doable if you've been preparing for it already.  Just be careful of getting too hot.  I did a 10 miler at 10 weeks, and a 5k and half marathon around 15-16 weeks, and baby is doing fine at 22 weeks.  Just make sure you hydrate well before and during, especially if it's hot, and listen to your body.  If you're having trouble catching your breath it's probably time for a walk break.  There's no shame in run/walk!
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"