D.C. Area Babies
Options

"Play" pre-school vs. Montessori?

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them.  I think DS is going to go to https://www.ontherighttrack.us/ this fall/spring.  He turns 2 in Oct and the program is twice a week, 9am-12pm.  I know Montessori is typically 5 days a week, and I'm thinking he might be too young for that... but maybe not.  Any input is welcome!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: "Play" pre-school vs. Montessori?

• Options

DD is at Goddard, she started at 18mo old, 3x a week, full days until 23 mo old and then F/T (5 days a week, full days). It's been great!

• Options
    The Montessori school that I work at has two different programs for toddlers, one that is one day a week with Mom (or another adult there observing) and the other is 3 days without the parent. From my understanding at that age not many certififed Montessori programs would have a 5 day schedual.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In general I think that kids have their whole life for structure and learning, I would prefer my kids have more "play" time at this age or for preschool.  However, I love the Montessori philosophy of child-led learning and when DD goes to preschool in another year it will probably be Montessori.
    imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options
    While Montessori works well for some children, it is not for all. Some children need more direction. I think this has become a buzz word lately among parents and I would just encourage you to consider all options!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Like pp's said, I think it depends on your kid.  We are totally in love with DD #1's Montessori school, it is great for her.  The plan is to send #2 there in the Fall and #3 someday... keeping in mind that kids can be different and have different needs so plans may change!  I would also say make sure any Montessori school you're considering is a real, certified program and the teachers have been trained extensively in the method (philosophy? pedagogy?).  I found in my my preschool search that a lot of places say they're Montessori when they're not.
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

I think Montessori would be fine for many as preschools, if you keep LO's in them for any amount of time, it is not uncommon for htem to have a really hard adjustment to regular public school.  Not all kids of course, but many have a hard time with that child directed to teacher directed.

good luck! I can't believe Liam is old enough for that....time flies so fast!!!!!!!! 

• Options

DD has been in a 5 day, 9-1 program since 18 months. The program uses the Reggio Emilia philosophy as a foundation which is focused on child-led experiential learning; there are some similarities to Montessori in that sense. It's been a good fit for her and she has thrived in her language and interpersonal development.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We were looking at starting preschool for DD at 2.5 and we found quite a few Montessori programs that were 5 full days that she could have attended. I have no experience in programs but we chose a more traditional preschool for the simple fact that they did not require that my daughter be potty trained.  She is really resistant.  I may still switch my daughter to Montessori when she is 3.5.  It really depends on how things go at her new school.     
  • Options

I went to a Montesorri school way back when and assumed my kids would also go the Montessori route.  But we ended up placing DS in a play-centered preschool for a few reasons, including that he was not potty trained when he turned two and we thought play-centered would be a better fit for his personality.  His favorite thing in the world is to play outside, so we put him in a school that focuses on outdoor play...including creek walks and farm animals (we feel very fortunate that there is such a preschool down the road from us).

He has a late b-day and will be in pre-school for four years, so I've thought about moving him to Montesorri for one year, but I doubt DH will let me since DS is quite happy in his current school.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"