Parenting after 35

Calling all moms of 18-24 month olds...

O.K., seriously, when does the crazy behavior end, or is my child just "extra active?"  It's getting to the point where we don't want to go out to eat when he's awake.  I told my mom that eating out was like "church" for us, we do it so often (to which my mother promptly deemed me a heathen, but I digress).  I can't believe he's not even 2 yet, but already hitting, kicking, biting, screaming, tantrum-ing- the works.  I know this is my payback for giving the side-eye to parents when their kids were having full on meltdowns in the grocery store (before I had DS).
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Calling all moms of 18-24 month olds...

• Sarah is pretty easy going and laid back, but we don't go out to eat with her if we can avoid it. It's just not that interesting for her and it's not that much fun for us. We take her every now and then and she is usually really well behaved, but we'd much rather go to the playground or some other fun thing with her.
  • Aaron is similar to Caleb but perhaps less extreme.  And I truly believe boys and girls ARE different since most of the toddler girls I know of (my niece, 21 months and my friend's daughter, 17 months) are much calmer and more mature than Aaron is.

When we go out, we take out our smartphones and stream Donald Duck videos on YouTube. We don't go out too often. We have a 1 hour window of good behavior when he's seated and then tantrum central.  We've gone to the mall and he's screamed because he wants to run around. As long as he's occupied, he's OK.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow!  I think it's a boy thing, or at least a certain boy-like personality thing.  Margaux loves eating out, unless it's near nap or bedtime, but her friend Hurricane Lucy (who is about 1.5 years older) just isn't interested in sitting that long and usually has at least one big meltdown. 

I wish I had advice!  *hugs* 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Sorry, Richelle, but Charles is really good at restaurants.  So I don't think it's just a "boy" thing.  He's a really calm kid, tho.. takes after his dad.

One thing I do.... the SECOND we get seated at a restaurant, I order the kids' meal and tell them it needs to be brought out immediately or they'll see a big fat meltdown.  Waitstaff usually jumps through hoops to avoid that problem.  

We also have one special toy (a little musical cellphone) that he only gets to play with at restaurants, so it's all new and exciting.

Other than that.. drive thrus are your best friend!

• steverstever member

Boo... I am so sorry Tristan's being such a little devil.

Mikey's usually pretty good, as in doesn't scream and pitch tooooo many fits, but he's definitely super, super, super active. Going out is a total workout with the running and climbing and grabbing stuff. 

• Right Hug It is definitely challenging.  I always thought it was a boy versus girl thing because all mine have been relatively behaved in restaurants and public. I also always thought that why I didn't have a boy because I couldn't handle all the extra energy. My friend who is a psychologist says its not boy/girl it is more personality and genetics. 

Trust me it will get better when they can communicate more. 

• : ) Sabrina's not quite 18 months old but we've noticed her ... patience in restaurants is definitely getting less and less. We're fine if it's a busy, active place with lots of people walking around but even then, she can only last an hour, hour and a half tops. We make sure there's plenty of food options for her and ice cream always does the trick to keep her settled in a little longer (as long as she hasn't eaten her weight in food!). Also, I bring along a small container with small toys like Little People and she gets a kick out of playing with those and/or the container for a minute or two, too.

It's definitely a lot like WORK when we go out to eat but for the most part still OK.

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You may have a very active and more spirited extroverted child. 

Our older DD was like that and I remember that when she was that age, we just couldn't go to restaurants, or even stores for that matter.  She was the same way about her stroller.  Once she could walk, there was no getting her to stay in the stroller (or a grocery cart) unless it was moving fast.  She was simply not having it.  I had many friends at that time with much calmer children and I could tell they really didn't get it. 

Once younger DD came along (she was sooooo much calmer), I realized it was just older DD's personality.  She and her sister are completely opposite temperments. 

This too shall pass and you'll be able to enjoy restaurants again some day.  In the meantime, maybe look for kid-friendly places with outdoor seating and go during less busy times.  Like a PP said, order immediately and don't linger.  Good luck!

• PeskyPesky member
    depends on the kid but yes, the testing never ends -- just changes tactics.  DD is now in the blatant disregard for instructions testing phase.  Whining still appears.  Tantrums are far less frequent and pretty rare.  DS I just carried kicking and screaming down the street.  Kicking, biting, etc -- there is a GREAT series of books on this and I have to say really helped with our kids (Hands are Not for Hitting, Feet are not for kicking people, etc.).  We usually stay out of restaurants from about 15mos until 2.5 or so, except on VERY rare occasions, and when we do go, you'd think I was moving in as I bring a variety of toys and books to keep him entertained and at times brought our portable DVD player with an elmo DVD in there.  Just be calm and very quick and consistent in your reaction.  I've hauled DD out of a store and sat with her in the car until she calmed down.  Just phases.  They pass.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Finn is terrible right now at restaurants. We have to make sure it all happens pretty quickly. We also have Chuggington and Bob the Builder on the iphone to placate him.

The books Pesky mentioned above are very helpful too. We read them a lot and re-visit them quite often too. It does pass, our 3.5 year old is fairly good in restaurants now unless he is overtired then all bets are off and he will be the worse of the two. Boys!!

• So perhaps it's not just a "boy thing" but I'm glad I'm not alone.  DH thinks Aaron is the ONLY child who has tantrums, meltdowns, etc.  And he's seldom hit or kicked--just screamed and/or bodily throw himself against the ground/walls.

The iPhone is a great thing.  I have literally hours of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Dora the Explorer videos loaded on mine--just in case.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Oh hon, I am so totally with you. Adrian is a little caveman. We are doing our best to raise him with manners but for the past month he's been biting, hitting, screaming, pushing and throwing tantrums all the time. It's a nightmare to take him shopping, eating out and the day care women are really worn out. I'm hoping the biting and hitting is due to the fact that we switched day cares and he's not that happy with the new one yet. Not until he gets to know his DC providers and the kids. But even when I'm with him at play dates, he bullies the other kids, especially babies. If they get near him to touch whatever toy he's playing with, he pushes them so hard they fall on the floor. Or if he has something in his hand, he'll use it as a weapon. I swear he hasn't learned any of that from us so it must be natural survival instincts kicking in.

I-AM-TIRED!!

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • imagerobynlesley:

Aaron is similar to Caleb but perhaps less extreme.  And I truly believe boys and girls ARE different since most of the toddler girls I know of (my niece, 21 months and my friend's daughter, 17 months) are much calmer and more mature than Aaron is.

When we go out, we take out our smartphones and stream Donald Duck videos on YouTube. We don't go out too often. We have a 1 hour window of good behavior when he's seated and then tantrum central.  We've gone to the mall and he's screamed because he wants to run around. As long as he's occupied, he's OK.

I agree, and the only way Adrian will let me shop for an hour is if I give him my iPhone. That thing is worth every penny!!!

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Thanks for all of the advice (and hugs)!  I hope as he matures, his behavior will improve.  I am thinking of putting him in daycare this September when school starts back up to let him play with other kids his age.  
  • imagestever:

Going out is a total workout with the running and climbing and grabbing stuff. 

This is us too.  Our restaurant days are pretty much over since S won't sit for one second in a restaurant high chair and he uses a booster seat as a diving board.  Food doesn't interest him nor do toys keep him occupied so we usually end up asking for to go boxes and the check as soon as the food arrives.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"