Food Allergy

ongoing diaper rash

My LO seems to be sensitive to dairy, eggs and possibly peanuts.  I think there may be something else too?  She has had a read diaper rash on her diaper area for months.  We've tried everything.  I was looking at pics of hives today because I wasn't sure what a hive rash would look like.  It looks pretty much just like what the rash on her diaper area looks like.  Is it even possible to have hives for months?  My other thought is maybe eczema?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ongoing diaper rash

• It could be a yeast rash.

Also, we CD now, but DS had a LOT of diaper rash from chemicals in diapers. Most big brands use some kind of gel crap that ended up all over his skin. When we used disposable diapers, we buy Earth's Best because they're chlorine free.

• DD had this.  Her pedi tested her for strep and some other infection I can't think of the name.  I had already tried Nystatin.  Nothing I used was helping.  Her derma said to try some of her Protopic, but only for really bad areas.  It seemed to help some, but it did not go away.  She is potty trained during the day but still in night diapers.  I started slathering her with Triple Paste a week ago and it is gone.  I plan to keep slathering it on even though it is gone.  It was very uncomfortable for her and I don't want it back.
  • Loading the player...
  • is she on any medicine? i know if the child is taking medicine (antibiotics specifically) they are prone to getting a severe diaper rash.  Does she have eczema anywhere on her body?  

I'm assuming you are BFing her and that's why you think it's dairy, eggs and so forth, right? since her age i can't imagine you giving her that food yet.  But if you are BFing, try an elimination diet.  There are a few girls on here that are doing it.  This way you can figure out what is the culprit.

• imagemagdusia:

is she on any medicine? i know if the child is taking medicine (antibiotics specifically) they are prone to getting a severe diaper rash.  Does she have eczema anywhere on her body?  

I'm assuming you are BFing her and that's why you think it's dairy, eggs and so forth, right? since her age i can't imagine you giving her that food yet.  But if you are BFing, try an elimination diet.  There are a few girls on here that are doing it.  This way you can figure out what is the culprit.

She is on no medicine and doesn't have eczema anywhere else.  About the closest thing is she sometimes gets a rash all over her belly and back.

She is exclusively bf.  I really should have eliminated the top 8 things from the beginning but i thought it would be easiest just to try dairy first and then eggs.  Boy was I wrong!  I am going to give up soy for a bit and see if that helps her mucous poo and her rash.  If not I'll give up the whole shabang.  I think perhaps it might be laundry detergent perhaps too? 

We use cloth diapers but I think I will try some triple paste for a while and see if that clears it up.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What detergent do you use on your diapers? We were using RnG and it gave DS an awful rash for a long time. At first, we thought it was yeast so we were using Nystatin and disposable diapers and it cleared up. I bleached the CDs, and after a week or so the rash came back.

After trying everything else, I tried unscented Crunchy Clean detergent and he has been rash free ever since.

• TheBubTheBub member
    Do your wipes have shea butter?  I bought these because they were on sale and didn't realize shea butter was from a nut.  DS had a rash for a month before I made the connection.  He ended up needing and antibiotic cream because of a secondary infection.

• I know this might sound weird but I asked my grandma what is the best thing for diaper rash and she said that neosporin works great. I was on the fence about until Lo had a really bad rash and nothing else helped. It worked great!

• imageLadyExtravaganza:

What detergent do you use on your diapers? We were using RnG and it gave DS an awful rash for a long time. At first, we thought it was yeast so we were using Nystatin and disposable diapers and it cleared up. I bleached the CDs, and after a week or so the rash came back.

After trying everything else, I tried unscented Crunchy Clean detergent and he has been rash free ever since.

Thanks for the recommendation!  I'll look into it!  We've been experimenting with detergents.  First it was Charlie's and then we tried Tide and now we're on All Free and Clear.  All seemed to make the rash come back.

• imageTheBub:
    Do your wipes have shea butter?  I bought these because they were on sale and didn't realize shea butter was from a nut.  DS had a rash for a month before I made the connection.  He ended up needing and antibiotic cream because of a secondary infection.

Thanks!! I actually think some of her diaper rash creams have shea butter in them.  Maybe this is contributing to it!!  That could be why when we switched to disposables and a completely new cream that it cleared up.  I'll have to look at ingredient lists when the baby wakes up!

• The nurse actually told us to go get an antibiotic ointment that had several other ingredients along with neosporin type stuff.  I was shocked too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"