Adoption
Options

Question for interracial adoptive families

If there is anyone out there who is cc and has adopted an aa/ biracial child after having bio children, and that child is older now, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind PMing me and talking about your story.  I know that finding this circumstance is a long shot.  We are considering aa or biracial newborn adoption and I am concerned about how the child that will be viewed as different also handles being the last child, if that makes any sense?  I would actually love to hear any stories/experiences even if they are second hand.  For some reason, and this may be completely unfounded, I am more worried about how a child of a seperate race will adjust being the youngest vs being the oldest or middle child.

If you could make heads or tails of this post and can be of any help, TIA.  BTW it doesn't have to be a Pm if you are willing to share on the board.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question for interracial adoptive families

• Options
    imagestargazertechie:

I'm not in your boat, but I am considering a transracial adoption (looking at Ethiopia). 

I just started reading "I'm Chocolate, you're Vanilla". I HIGHLY recommend it. I'm about halfway through the book, and I can't put it down. 

https://www.amazon.com/Im-Chocolate-Youre-Vanilla-Race-Conscious/dp/0787941964 

Thanks for the recommendation!  I'll check our library and see if they have it.  I actually haven't completely ruled out Ethiopia or other african countries but the issue and concern would still be the same.  Good luck with your process!

• Options
    Sorry if I've used the term "interracial" incorrectly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do not have any bio children, but adopted a biracial baby from foster care who is now 4 years old :-).  To be honest with you, he fits right into our family because DH is italian, and I am part puerto rican (although u cant tell).  DS is very light.  Now, some people have asked about him etc, but now we are fostering a black baby, and plan on adopting him.  at first I was very tentative about it, just bc of the way things are in todays age.  I have had several people make comments, but they are the nicest people, and I know they mean well but it is like they dont think.  Maybe I will check out the book!  We are still trying to have a bio child (which would really be a miracle on earth) but that would put us in a similar sitch.  I don't worry about him fitting in with our family, I just worry about the stupid things that people say.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

we are cc and have a bio child who is 2.5 and we have a 2 month old aa daughter.  We have had 8 foster kids (7 of them aa) in his lifetime, so our family and friends are use to the mix of races in our home.  We also plan to adopt more and don't intend (God willing) that Aida will be our only adopted child or child of a different race.

I also recommend the same book :)

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    We are considering adopting an interracial child. We are a mixed family of white/hispanic. We have considered international and US adoption are have not decited which way we will decide. I want to adopt an infant but Im scared about the process and the birth parents changing their mind and taking the baby back after we have bonded with the child. Does anyone have any input on this matter?
  • Options

Although I can't help with your original question, I do want to offer my 2 cents.

IF you do decide to adopt an AA or African child, make sure that you have AA friends in your life.   They will be a lifesaver for the little things (like hair and skin care) and the big things (insensitive comments, name calling). 

As an AA, I can't tell you the number of times I've shared cultural things with my cc friends that they just weren't aware of. 

Lastly, make sure you celebrate the child's differences AND similarities. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"