North Carolina Babies
Options

stuttering

Has anyone else ever noticed their toddler stuttering a lot? Maddie has started doing it a LOT in the last couple of weeks, and it's kind of worrying me. I don't know if it's just b/c her speech is so much slower than her brain works, or if it's the start of a problem.

I'm wondering if I should wait until her 3 year appt or if I should call about it now. She talks constantly in the car, and it just seems to have gotten to the point where half the sentences she says start off stuttering...it's like she wants to talk faster than the words are coming out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: stuttering

• Options
    I obviously haven't heard her to be able to compare it with anything but Jack and Actually even Sean will sorta repeat and stumble at the beginning of a sentence at times when they dont have in their head what they are wanting to say. So I tell them to just stop talking for a minute an try and get their words together. But i dont know if this is what she's doing or if its more stuttering like. If u are worried about it I'd give them a call and see what they say.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think at her age, it is very normal. Ashley will stutter sometimes too, it is normally when she is really excited to tell us something and she will say "I I I I" and then spit out the rest of the sentence (like I went swimming at the pool and blah blah blah, she just has a hard time getting it all out at first). I am going to ask her doctor about it at her 4 year check up but I do think it is pretty normal. I was talking to a friend of mine and she said her daughter did the same thing and she had her evaluated by a speech therapist and she said that a lot of kids do it because they are learning so many new words and their brains can't keep up with their mouths (but she explained it in a much more scientific way ;-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My SIL is an adolescent speech therapist, I can ask her what she thinks if you'd like. 
  • Options

Ben did the "I I I" thing too, like "I I I play outside!"

It worried me at first but I started emphasizing "I play outside" and he would repeat after me with only one I so I knew he could  do it only once and somehow that made me feel better.  Then he switched to my so we didn't have that issue anymore and now he is starting to use I properly with only 1 I and all of this over about a month? 

It is sounding normal from this thread :)

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMrs.LLG:
    My SIL is an adolescent speech therapist, I can ask her what she thinks if you'd like. 

I would love to hear her opinion, thank you!

Thanks everyone. It is only at the beginning of sentences, so maybe she is just too anxious to get out what she has to say, and her mouth/tongue just can't move that fast yet. She has been pretty late with her verbal stuff, so she is definitely learning TONS of new words/phrases every day, so that makes sense that maybe she just isn't able to talk as fast as she wants to yet. It is good to hear that other kids do it too!

• Options

I remember asking the doctor about this for kathryn at their 3 year well visit.  He told me not to worry about it unless it got worse over time or if she was still doing in at 5 years old.

Good luck! 

• Options
    Liam definitely has moments where I can tell his mind is going faster than his mouth, and he just babbles for a second while it translates in his head.  It happened more right after his verbal explosion, and I don't notice it as often now.  His speech therapist said it was common for intelligibility to go down right after the big explosion too, because they're trying to say so much, so fast, it doesn't always come out right.  I haven't noticed Liam's sounding like stuttering, but I bet different kids express it different ways! :)
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Okay so I asked my SIL what she thought. She said that stuttering usually presents itself between 3 and 5 and its much more common in boys. I mentioned that you wondered if it was because her brain is working faster than she can get the words out (and I told her that Mad was a little delayed with her speech and is now quickly catching up) and she said that technically the brain working faster that the words can come out is what a stutter is but since she isn't yet 3 she wouldn't be overly concerned about it because of the fact that she had some speech delay. She also said that you never want to stop the stutter i.e. if she starts to stutter don't correct her because it can often make the issue worse, rather, encourage her to slow down her speech when she talks. 

I hope that helps. :) 

• Options
    imageMrs.LLG:

Okay so I asked my SIL what she thought. She said that stuttering usually presents itself between 3 and 5 and its much more common in boys. I mentioned that you wondered if it was because her brain is working faster than she can get the words out (and I told her that Mad was a little delayed with her speech and is now quickly catching up) and she said that technically the brain working faster that the words can come out is what a stutter is but since she isn't yet 3 she wouldn't be overly concerned about it because of the fact that she had some speech delay. She also said that you never want to stop the stutter i.e. if she starts to stutter don't correct her because it can often make the issue worse, rather, encourage her to slow down her speech when she talks. 

I hope that helps. :) 

Thank you so much! I'm just going to keep an eye (or ear I guess) on it for now,it sounds like it isn't too big of a deal!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"