Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Did you poop during labor?

2»

Re: Did you poop during labor?

• Options

I sure did. The nurses put new pads under me after each contraction, but I wasn't sure if it was because I pooped or because of all the fluid that came out with each push.  I asked DH, and he told me that I did poop a little.  He said it looked like one of those Play-Doh toys that you push the Play-Doh through and it comes out the other side in a little tube....you know what I mean?  Don't ask me why DH looked that closely.

I did not puke, though.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

DD: 6/21/10
    DS: 10/11/14
  • Options
    I didn't but the only reason is because I had a massive poo about 4 hours before I started pushing.  That poo was never ending-- I'd rather have just had to push the poo and the baby out at the same time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, I did.  I know I did because my doc made a comment which I thought was a little inappropriate.  She just said something like oh let's clean this up right away.  And yes it was sort of embarassing since FI was standing right there, but he never mentioned it.  And he has two other children with his first wife so I can only hope that he had experienced that before.  Anyways after you have children seeing other people's bowel movements become a pretty normal part of life....

However, I was fully prepared to do it.  I had read Ina May's childbirth book about letting your inner monkey help you deliver the baby.  In the book she talks about how women who are self consisious are more likely to tear and have difficulty delivering.  I let my monkey do it and I only pushed for 25 mins with no tearing.

• Options
    I didn't and I know my sister would not lie about it she would LOL at me instead.  I had a very short labor and only pushed a little while it was less then 20 min from 8cm to baby out it was FAST
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• Options

imageoctwed07:
    If it grossed you out -- why are you asking? Just so you can feel good about how you didn't??? and yes, it's common.

I was wondering the same thing.

Even though I was induced and barely ate the day before I still pooped a little.  No one said anything but I knew when the nurse change the pad underneath me.    I did not puke and I didn't realize how common it is after reading some of the responses. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Options

I did...I asked DH about it after because I thought I felt myself doing it...haha

My Dr said at one of my appts, that if you poop it shows you are pushing correctly...so i just went with it..haha 

• Options
    Yep I did. I had an epi and had no idea, but later asked my sister and she said I did. I also peed on myself lol! Oh well.. It happens! 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I don't know for sure but pretty sure I did.  The Dr. made a comment at one point that I was pushing really well, too well in fact. Take that for what you will.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nope.  I didn't make it that far, DS never descended because of his cord, I had a c-section.  I did puke though. 
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Options
    No I didn't. During contractions I had to run to the bathroom 3 times with horrible dirrehea so I was cleaned out by delivery time. I did pee myself during contractions. No puking either tho.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I didn't (and DH was down there watching the whole time, he confirmed). It surprised me, because when the baby was moving down the birth canal it really felt like I was about to sh!t out a bowling ball. I thought everything was going to come out.

thinking back, I'm sure the fact that I forgot to eat for like 12 hours before going to the hospital had something to do with it. Not that I would recommend that.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

How do you know you didn't poop? Most everyone does. They just have a blue sterile drape that they have in that area so that the baby doesn't come into contact with the anus or poop.

ETA: I don't know if I pooped, DF & mom told me know but like I said before that area was covered with a drape. So even if I did only the doc and nurses know. And that's fine by me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemooshagirl:

I have no idea if I pooped and I'm not asking DH.  I'd rather not know, lol!

I asked my husband and he had no idea, he was busy concerned about other things, so some people watching the delievery have no idea either!!!

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    I pooped a lot during labor while I was still up, but not while pushing, according to DH.  Also only puked while up- mostly in the toilet, but I didn't totally exclude the walls or floor.  Sorry nurse :(
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have no idea - no one told me, LOL! but I imagine it's common. I mean, you're using the same muscles!

but I was lucky and never threw up during labor/delivery!

My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    I didn't think so, but after reading some of the responses, maybe I did and didn't even now it.  I will have to ask this time...haha.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Options
    yes but i had NO idea. the nurse didnt say a thing. she just switched to a new pad in like 2 seconds. I just thought it was bc of other stuff & getting a clean one ready for when baby comes out (bc i was pushing at the time). Later i asked DH bc he was down there watching and counting as i pushed. He said i sure did! ha. All that worry over nothing. It was seriously NO big deal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMrsBeckO:
    You may not even know you pooped. My OB said almost everyone does and the doctors and nurses don't typically say anything about it. 

This. I wouldn't have had a clue except I happened to look towards the foot of the bed while they were cleaning it up.  I didn't see anything but the doctor thought I did and she started reassuring me that it was perfectly normal and I shouldn't worry about it.

• Options
    MrsCAAMrsCAA member
    no but i wish i would have... I was consitpated before going into labor, then constipated after so they had me on a stool softener in the hospital, and my dr recommended taking a laxitive as soon as i got home and by the time i finally did go, i hadnt pooped in almost a wk.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I peed and pooped a little when pushing, but no puking at the hospital.  I puked way earlier in the day after eating something though.
  • Options
    DH told me I didn't and he was down there for the show.
  • Options
    steverstever member
    I puked at home before we left for the hospital then pooped on the table.
  • Options
    Yes, I did. I did not puke though. It seems that you are the odd one because you did not poop during labor Wink Think about it... how hard you push and how long you are in that bed it's bound to happen. and like pp said, *** happens!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMrsBeckO:
    You may not even know you pooped. My OB said almost everyone does and the doctors and nurses don't typically say anything about it. 

This, especially if you had an epidural, you wouldn't have felt it.  And it's not like someone's going to point it out to you.  "Oh look, you pooped!"  Did you specifically ask someone if you did or didn't?  I don't think I did- DH probably woul have made sure I knew about it if I did, but I had a spinal and a c section.  Since the spinal paralyzed me from the chest down, I very well could have gone and not known it.  I obviously wouldn't have any control over that part of my body with a spinal. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    apeygapeyg member
    No I did not poop during labor. I gave myself an enema at home when I went into labor to make sure it wouldn't happen. I will never forget having contractions and being on all fours in the bathroom giving myself an enema!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    According to DH I did not. I know that I had bad gas the entire time though. I kept apologizing to my OB & MW. I felt so bad but they kept telling me it was normal. I hadn't eaten anything of substance in about 24 hours though. So maybe I didn't poop. I know DH would tell me if I did though. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't remember actually doing it, but DH said I did afterwards.  At that point, I really didn't care.  Seriously, I had other things on my mind - like pushing a baby out of my vagina.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Options
    Nope, and I asked if I did. I did, however, puke my guts out right after they broke my water. It had already broken hours before but I was stalled and there still was some bag bulging. Yeah, insta puke and pain.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • Options

I probably did, I puked too, like a lot that is what happens to me when I get too much saline though (I was on a saline IV oh and getting pumped full of antibiotics)

Little E born 12.10.09 Little A born 04.19.12
  • Options

I don't think so. I don't remember whether a nurse changed any pads underneath me, honestly. I think I only pushed 3 or 4 times (don't hate!!!!!!!!!!! DS was early and that suckiness after totally made up for the short labor, lol) I did ask DH and he said no, but in a sort of weird way.  He's good at finding things to make fun of me for, so I assume if I had, he would have let me know, but maybe this was one of those things that he thought better of...

No puking though, thank goodness. I hate puking.   

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"