D.C. Area Babies
Options

Inova Birthing Classes

Just wondering if anyone has attended the birthing classes offered at Inova Hospital (breastfeeding, childbirth preparation, etc) and if you would recommend them? I'm planning on attending a few classes but would be great to hear some feedback from others.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for classes elsewhere in NOVA (Alexandria area preferably)? I was thinking of a breathing/yoga birth class at Pure Prana in Old Town but I think the class has already filled up. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Re: Inova Birthing Classes

• Options
    I took the 4 week INOVA Childbirth preparation class and thought it was great.  My husband thought there was too much focus on the biology of birth, but I thought it was fascinating. 
  • Options

I did the 4 week birth class too and thought it was great.  Our instructor (I think her name was Lisa) was pregnant herself and really had us focusing on pain management each week.

I also did the breastfeeding class and could see it being helpful; however, it was the first time the instructor was teaching the class and clearly hadn't breastfeed herself in the last 30 years.  I felt like when I would ask a question, it wasn't answered.  They invited spouses, but my husband was completely bored the entire time.

Edit: Not to sound age-biased in my comment...she just mentioned herself she had just begun rereading up on it (not a practiced nurse/LC).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    if you want a class that focuses on breathing techniques, have you considered HypnoBirthing? it is geared towards unmedicated childbirth, so if that's not what you are planning, then it may not be the right class for you. PM me for more info if you are interested in learning more!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I took the breastfeeding class and the baby care class at INOVA loudoun. I thought that the breastfeeding class was really helpful. The baby care class was kind of a waste. There really wasnt any great information that wasnt already common sense, even for a FTM.

• Options

We only took the INOVA birthing class, and found it helpful. Didn't take the other classes (breastfeeding, infant care, etc...)

I didn't attend the Pure Prana birthing class, but I did attend their prenatal yoga classes regularly. They were really helpful in terms of breathing techniques and helping to keep my muscles toned in the final stretch of pregnancy. I can't recommend this class enough, I just loved it!

snowbaby-1 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"