Breastfeeding
Options

Very fussy ... head rocking left/right ... crying ... spitting up

Hi there moms,

I need help ... a few times this has happen to me and I am getting worried:

My daughter is a great latcher and eater. For the most part she has been very consistant. However lately she sometimes gets super fussy where she latches on and then gets upset and rockes her head left and right while kicking her legs and crys. She will latch - fuss - latch fuss - latch fuss ... on and on. I must also add that she 'should' be hungry. Today I fed her @ 4 and then this happen @ 8. After she 'eats' she then spits up or even throws up. We have had problems with gas ... but never like this ... she is 6 weeks old.

Help

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Very fussy ... head rocking left/right ... crying ... spitting up

• Options
    bizmombizmom member
    Maybe an ear infection?? I know with my DS, when he was around 6 months, he had gotten an ear infection and I didn't realize it till it ruptured. :( I felt horrible. So, because of that, that's always my first thought. I hope you find out what's wrong.
  • Options

Do you feel like you have a very forceful or "overactive" letdown?  Do you notice it immediately or does she latch and suck for a short time and then starts that sequence?  Do you stop her mid-feed and burp her?  Do you notice it more first thing in the morning or after a longer period between feeds when your breasts are fuller?

I have a very forceful and overactive letdown and DD would try her best to take as much as she could at that age but she would swallow A LOT of air in the process which would cause her to have near projectile spit-up/vomiting after she ate. 

It could also be reflux or a sensitivity to something you're consuming. 

If you can't figure it out yourself, give your local La Leche League leader a call and see if they have any suggestions.  You could find a lactation consultant to help you too. 

Hope you get it figured out!  It's rough when you just don't know how to help them or what is causing the problem.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had this same problem!!  My problem turned out to be an oversupply...not necessarily too much milk but more of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.  LO was getting a relatively strong letdown followed by all foremilk (which can cause the spitting up afterwards) and would be full before she got enough of the rich hindmilk.  She would turn her head as a form of rejection to the onslaught of foremilk.  Check out www.kellymom.com I got a ton of great info there on this very issue (and so much more) and how to resolve.  There is a section on "if your baby is doing 'this', it is probably 'this', that I found so helpful.  Good luck!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thank you for the info ... I do believe I have that problem with let down. I am meeting with la leche tonight ... will ask there also.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"