Houston Babies

So what did your baby sleep in when he/ she came home?

We have ordered a crib, and were originally just going to put him in that.... however with the way our house is set up and we'll have my parents here for a few weeks after he is born it is likely he will be sleeping in our room for at least a few weeks....

So what did you use for your little one to sleep in your room? Ideas I have come up with are....

Moses Basket or carry cot 

Pack n play

Co sleeper

But I just cant decide what would be best!! My friends also are thinking of maybe getting a joint baby shower present and were thinking of one of the above! Any recommendations, advice etc welcome :)

And TIA!!

Our little boy arrived 4 weeks early! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: So what did your baby sleep in when he/ she came home?

• we planned to put him straight in his crib and will hopefully do that for this baby, but i was on orders not to go upstairs alone the first 2 weeks so we used the pack and play in our bedroom.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • we put him in a bassinet that was next to my bed. He is still in it at 4 months because I am still nursing him. I really need to put him in the crib, but I know alot of people use the pack and play. And raise the baby up in the bassinet part.
    Photobucket
    Our little miracle, Jett.
    Planning Bio,
    My Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • She slept in a bassinet in our room.

We have my SILs pack and play too, which I love that we can now take with us if we travel. While I love the Moses baskets, I'd likely go with a PNP that has more long term use.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We put DS in a bassinet first, until we figured out he hated it. Then he went into his crib, but we put him in a Snugglenest and put that in the crib. He loved it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LKS0GQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001Y9VN2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0NB8XPYT381JDV86T0VD

• DS#1 slept in bed with us

DS#2 sleeps in the Rock N Play next to my side of the bed, but takes his naps in his crib or the swing. 

Rock N Play = amazingly awesome.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • For the 1st 2 months he slept in a cradle next to our bed and sometimes in the bed with us. Then he went to his crib in his own room after that.

One sort of like this, but ours didn't have wheels, it was a hand me down from the ILs.  https://www.babyearth.com/da-vinci-futura-cradle.html

I know a lot of people who use pack n plays.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • DD went straight into her crib.

With DS we tried to do the same but he had reflux.  We used the Rock N Play (set up in his room, not ours).  It was fabulous.  Used it until he started rolling at 3 months.  I have it for sale if you're interested.  I keep forgetting about it.

Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • Our first DD slept in the PnP bassinet in our room.  Our second DD slept in our room also , but we moved her to a crib at around four months.  Second DD also napped in her swing in the beginning.  She started taking crib naps at around four months.

• The Rock n Play is the most amazing invention for newborns. I held out and used a pack n play for the first three weeks. What that meant is, he slept on me most of the night for the first three weeks. I got so tired of that and finally got it on Amazon. Heavenly! 

Thank you kat.in.the.hat for helping me pull the trigger on that baby item. 

• DS slept in the bassinet portion of our PnP by my bed for 8 weeks before we transfered him to his own room (which was upstairs).  I didn't feel like dealing with the stairs until he started sleeping more through the night.  I moved him, even though he was still waking up at least once in the night b/c I was waking up to every little noise he was making beside me, so I wasn't getting ANY sleep!  In his room, I could at least turn the monitor down enough to only hear if he was crying, so I could get some sleep in my own bed.

I think any of your above would work.  We had a Moses basket, as well (it was a gift), but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it for night sleep b/c 1) I might stumble over him if I had to go to the bathroom and he was on the floor.  2) if he was on the floor, it woudl be a PITA to get him each time he woke up to nurse, etc., and I wouldn't feel comfortable just putting hte basket on a table by the bed.  The sides wouldn't be high enough for me not to think he could somehow fall out - or I might knock it over or something.

My sister had the cosleeper, which she liked b/c the baby was easy to get to  - but - it's not very portable, so not able to take with her to another place very easily.

The PnP worked best for us b/c now we use it when he spends the night at the grandparents' house, so we definitely still get our money's worth 2 years later.  We shoved our Moses basket in the closet after 3 months or so.

• DD #1 went straight to her crib.

This time around, she'll be with us for a few weeks because we'll have out of town company and the crib is in the guest room. I am dreading it.

• We put him in our pack n play, it had a little bassinet attachment on top, it was the best spot for our little guy. You'll be way to tried to go to his room each night. 

Boy Stole my Heart
    Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Straight to her crib in her room.
  • Baby 1: Bassinet - that was it for him; swaddled tightly

Baby 2: Pack and play during the day; crib at night - hated bassinet, hated swaddling

** Every kid is different in our house. We thought we had it all ready to go. We failed to really consider different people, including babies, are truly different.

Other Changes

K1 - swing; K2 - no swing (that was challenging)

It really is great to have two people who couldn't share more be different. It is what makes the world go around. Have fun unlocking the secrets to your little mystery person. 

• DD slept in her crib but it was in our bedroom because we ended up converting one end of our bedroom to a nursery (our master was HUGE.) Most of her naps were either in the bouncer or on us, only rarely in the crib.

If we hadn't done that, she'd have slept in a cosleeper attached to the bed. 

imageimage

• mom2llmom2ll member

#1 Bassinette in our room for the first 3 months...

#2 PNP in our room for 1 week and then strait to her room.  (she was a super noisy sleeper!)

• pack-n-play or in bed next to me...at about 10 days they were both in their crib and stayed there. 
  • kj07kj07 member

We used an Arms Reach mini-cosleeper for nighttime sleep for the first 5-6 weeks, then transitioned him to his crib for night sleep.  For the first 3 months or so, he took his naps downstairs in the newborn napper attachment on our PnP (with the occasional night sleep down there too).

If you want to go the co-sleeper route, I'd look to borrow or buy used because sometimes it only gets used for such a short period.  You never know how you'll actually feel about the baby in your room - I thought I'd love it, but I ended up sleeping much better when he was in his crib in his own room.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • He was in the PnP in our room for about 4 days, but he grunted and whined in his sleep so much we moved him to the crib so we could sleep.
    "If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • He slept in our room in a cradle my FIL made until he was about 2.5 months old, then we transitioned him to the crib in his room.  There was also a period in there right after I went back to work (between about 2 and 4 months) when he ended up in bed with me pretty much every night because it was the easiest way for me to get the most sleep and not be a zombie at work.  My motto is do whatever works.
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • straight to the crib fo DS. Every now and then he comes into bed with us around 4am.
  • PNP for one night with #1.  He was such a noisy sleeper so he went straight to his crib after the first night home.

Straight to crib for #2.

• Bassinet next to our bed.  I was in no condition to walk up stairs to breast feed in the middle of the night.
  • Marion co-slept with us for six months, then transitioned to her crib.

Eliza slept in the bouncy seat for the first few weeks until we bought the rock n play around six weeks.  She now sleeps in the pack n play in the playroom because big sister refuses to let her sleep in her crib in their joint nursery.

• DS was in the PNP in his room.  It was easier for me the first 2 weeks after a c/s.  We put him in the crib after that.
  • I love love love and used my arms reach co-sleeper sleigh with both of my girls. It gave them their own space, and me easy access to them. I personally am not a good sleeper, and if I wake up and get out of bed, it takes me a long time to fall back to sleep, so I liked having something sturdy (will hold up to 300 pounds) that I could keep close to me, and just open my eyes to check on them and tend to them, without having to get out of bed to nurse etc.. My second baby had reflux and it was great to be right there to check on her and make sure she was still breathing and such. I also bought custom wedges that fit in the co sleeper to keep her elevated at the right angle for the reflux.
  • Georgia was in a basinette for a couple of days before I moved her to her crib. We actually used the basinette attachment of our stroller.

I think you should get a pack & play, they have uses beyond infant sleeping.

I just read somewhere that Moses baskets apparently aren't safe for babies to sleep in anymore.  Can't remember why.  I love how they look though!

• Thanks everyone for all the responses!! I didnt expect to get soooo many but this is great :) 

So it turns out if we want to use a moses basket a friend has one we can borrow.... however I think we might be leaning towards a PNP, especially as we can use it for quite a while and not just for sleeping! We are going to take a look this weekend when we go looking for strollers....(I think I will do a stroller post now as that is another thing we are having problems picking!!).

As for my baby shower gift I think the girls are thinking of getting me fun stuff now and leaving the sleeping item up to us to figure out!! Im excited to see what they come up with!!

But thanks again everyone!! :) 

Our little boy arrived 4 weeks early! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Pack and Play in our room for the first 2 months.  I had every intention of her being in her crib from day 1, but with her being so early and so little I felt better with her in our room. 
  • moses basket!
    18 Months!! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"