Pre-School and Daycare
Options

3yo and "bad" dreams, scared to fall asleep? Help!

My 3yo had a dream the other night, that our dog was talking to him.  It doesn't seem like a scary dream, but it really freaked him out!  Now, he is crying and very very upset at naptime and bedtime.  I had to lay down with him until he fell asleep!

He has previously been an EXCELLENT sleeper, has always put himself to sleep, sleeps 12 hours at night, no problem.  We are not used to these sleep issues!

I made a "Sweet Dreams" spray, that I sprayed in his room before bed, but he was still too scared to fall asleep.  He's not afraid of monsters, he's afraid that our dog will talk to him in his dreams, again, and I don't know how to help him!

I'm hoping this is a phase, that will pass?  We have reassured him that the dreams are only pretend, and that mommy and daddy are here to protect him, and God is there to protect him too, but nothing seems to help. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: 3yo and "bad" dreams, scared to fall asleep? Help!

• Options
    It gets better- it was a 2 week phase for us. Just have to ride it out!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You could always tell him that the dog was trying to tell him something silly, like "Feed me!  I'm hungry!" but that he doesn't know how to speak human.  Sometimes, for some kids, if you make it silly or a game, it helps take the fear out.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"