Secondary IF

How far are you willing to go?

Having dealt with secondary infertility for a year now I find myself beginning to seriously ponder how far I'm willing to go to have a sibling for my daughter.  I honestly "could" be ok with only having her but I really want my daughter to grow up with a sibling.  MH and I have talked about it and we decided that if IUI's don't work we will probably stop there and just be thankful for the blessing we already have.

My question is how far will you be willing to go to have your next child?

Trying for baby #2 since May 2010. DX elevated prolactin. Clomid round 1-50mg=BFN. Clomid round 2-100mg = BFN. Began taking Cabergoline and prolactin levels regulated. July IUI#1= BFN. Break cycle for August and BFP on 8/26/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How far are you willing to go?

• I'm with you. If we didn't have our DD, I would be more than willing to go through IVF. However, I don't think that we will go past IUI. And I don't think that we will do IUI for at least another year, or so. I think that if we don't get KU in another 2 years, I would prefer looking into adoption or fostering. IDK. We'll see. Good luck to you. It is a tough decision.
    Conceived DD after 15 cycles--- TTC #2 since 11/10---Me- Poor egg quality and supply---DH- Poor count and motility---2 rounds 75IU Follistim/IUI-BFN---5/12 150IU Follistim/IUI-Over-produced! Converted to IVF! 0 fertilized:( Rescue ICSI performed. 2 embryos transfered-BFN

---------Game Over---------

Moving on as a family of 3
    Lou's Infertility News

<a href="http://s863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/lillinzlou2/?action=view
  • IVF is out of the question, just because of the cost. DH doesn't want to take out a loan, which I totally understand and it would take too long to save up, by the time we were able I will be menopausal likely!

We are going to get testing with the RE and if IUI is recommended and doesn't work, I will try accupuncture for awhile, but we have agreed that we will stop trying when I am 38 which is a year and a half from now.

Like you OP, I am at the point where I am at peace if dd is our one and only, but I'm not ready to give in and quit yet. :) Good luck!

My Little
  • Loading the player...
  • Before we started this IVF DH & I both came to peace with DD being an only child. Its been a rough 3 years but we have made peace that this may be our fate. 

Should this IVF fail we will be done. We said we would re-visit out decision after the new year. 

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

• I have been through IVF to have my son after TTC for 3 years. I am in the process of miscarrying through a frozen transfer and I have to start a new cycle in Sept. IVF is intense but going through it twice makes me know that I will stop at nothing to have another. I am an only child. I never knew any better, but I would like a sibling for my son. If he is my one and only, he is a miracle and we are lucky to have him .I know exactly how you feel b/c I look at him everyday and hope we can do it all over again!
  • As long as IVF isn't covered, we won't be going there. We have done 2 IUIs (the verdict is still out on this second one, in which we were more aggressive, using menopur).  There is a small chance DH will get a job with a different company in the relatively near future, and I happen to know they cover 3 IVFs per live birth, and I think DH would be much more likely to get on board with IVF in that case. But spending 23K, even if we had it sitting around, just doesn't make financial sense to us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am willing to go as far as IVF and I am pretty sure DH's insurance covers 3 attempts so we are sooo blessed to have that as an option for us.  If his insurance didn't cover that I am not sure if we'd go that route. 

I can get pregnant but I am having trouble staying pregnant so I'm not sure if IVF would even be an option?  I see an RE in August and I'll discuss our plan. 

I guess if we go as far as IVF and still not stay pregnant with a healthy baby then we may start entertaining the idea of adoption.  I've always wanted to adopt later on in life so maybe that's the path I am supposed to take a little earlier than I thought :)

I want another child sooo bad....I will be okay with Jack being an only child but I know in my heart I'll always want another.  I'm not giving up yet.

• SB524SB524 member

I posed this question to DH a few weeks ago when we were at a low point. He didn't even want to go there talking about the possibility of IVF. We're pretty new into this journey so while I appreciate his optimism, I also want him to know it's a very real possibility.

That being said, our insurance only covers IUI and partial IVF (from what I've heard). I think it'd be at least $6K out of pocket and I'm not sure if we could swing that. 

7/09 miracle DD born
    3/11 DX: lean PCOS/anovulatory
    9/11 ovarian drilling to remove cysts + 5mg Femara = BFN
    10/11 5 mg Femara again = BFP, ectopic pregnancy at 5w4d
    11/11 diagnosed with breast cancer
    12/11 bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction
    http://annefightsback.blogspot.com
    Dori
    "Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming"
  • If it were only up to me, I would do IVF.  My DH is totally against it though as well as IUI.  So if fertility meds such as clomid don't help us we are on our own.  Since DH had varicocele surgery it is possible that his counts may go up and we may be able to get pregnant on our own, but with our recent SA that might not be what will happen.  We are willing to consider adoption if it seems that his counts will not improve.
  • JMayJMay member

When I started, I said I'd never do any medical treatment at all. (That was after getting lucky with DD, just before starting my first round of Clomid).  I tend to err on the side of doing things more naturally, and staying away from all drugs, but after two years of natural treatments, I was ready to move on.  DH hasn't been as ready, but willing to try some meds for my sake.  That being said, medicated IUI is as far as we're willing to go.  If I didn't have DD, I might have eventually gone as far as IVF, but I don't think DH would have agreed. 

Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"