Parenting after 35
Options

my first fail as a new mom

so Riley Ann is a few days shy of 3 weeks old.  i am pretty sure we are dealing with reflux which leaves her super fussy all the time.  after 3 days of not being able to put her down without her screaming,  we are breastfeeding and she wants to be on allll the time.  i gave in and pulled the binky out. she loves it. i feel like a horrible mom for introducing it so early.  i'm so upset about this and im not exactly sure why.....i have never judged people for using them. my take was "whatever you need to do" sorry for any grammer and caps im doing this one handed....i think i just need sleepSad

Re: my first fail as a new mom

• Options
    That's not a fail!  It's not like you're trying to feed her a cheesesteak or filling a baby bottle with beer!  You do your best, and every baby is different.  If she's healthy and happy, you're doing it perfectly.  :)
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Sorry, from my phone so there can't be paragraphs....Just wanted to say my colicky guy had breastmilk and a supplemental bottle of breastmilk in his first 24 hours of life, and then we all realized while we were still in the hospital that he was super-oral and gave him a paci, so all 3 in his first 3 days. He was not in any way negatively affected--we breastfed till he was 2, and he ditched the paci on his own at 6 months. Your job at this point is to make your baby comfy and happy, and it sounds like that's just what you've done! Go, you! Hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    steverstever member
    Not a fail! I tried to give M a binky at that age, he didn't take to it, but I still tried.
  • Options
    dle927dle927 member

My son was born on Thursday and has been in the NICU since.  When I went down to visit yesterday, he had a bink in his mouth.  They never asked if it was okay and introduced it but quite honestly, I don't mind at all.  It makes him happy and is said to help reduce SIDS risk.

• Options
    OK, I feel much better about it now.  Thanks guys!  I guess I just needed to hear that it wasn't so bad. I kinda feel like I was tricking her! stupid, I know! I'm actually laughing at myself while I typed that.
  • Options
    JJ1973JJ1973 member
    I guess we failed the second night we were in the hospital! You lasted longer than us! My husband had his finger in my LO's mouth for about an hour - each time he attempted to inch it out, LO cried like crazy - we were so stressed out. So, when the nurse offered a pacifier, we jumped on it. Actually, the pacifier has been a blessing in many ways. He uses it less and less (only for sleeping now and cranky moments in the car). I anticipate we'll be able to wean him of it gradually over time.
  • Options
    Not a fail! I guess it was just something you never envisioned yourself doing; I didn't either, but we spent 58 days in NICU and each day he needed oral comfort. They call it a Soothie for a reason ;)
  • Options
    Oh, and DS has acid reflux, too. I've read that pacifiers are helpful to children with reflux.
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with using it. Plus, as PP pointed out, it does reduce the risk of SIDS.
  • Options

Not a fail at all!!!!  My boys all use/used pacifiers until they found their thumbs and I had/having no problems BFing.  Be advised you may be entering the 6 week growth spurt marathon feedings (I promise it will end) but until then it is really time consuming.

Good luckk 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"