VBAC
Options

more and more c sections

There are just so many c sections that are done that arent neccesary. Yes, there are many that are lifesaving to mom and baby my first one was. I know someone who had her first c section because she was pushing for 3 hrs and couldnt deliver her 5 lb baby. She wanted to vbac for her 2nd and had the green light. At the end of her pregnancy it showed on the u/s her baby was 9lbs so they told her if she couldnt push out a 5lb baby she cant push out a 9lb baby so she was told to get a rcs. Well her baby was just 6lbs! She was so upset. My cousin works in L&D as an OR nurse and said her hospital used to have a high vbac % but now they have been doing alot of c sections. she said she has about 3 a daynow which is alot and they arent always an emergency or medically neccessary. Sometimes i wonder if c sections will be the only way to give birth in the near future in the hospital unless you show up pushing or give birth at home. Im thinking about a vba2c in the future but even if I have a supportive provider its like the odds may still be against me.

Re: more and more c sections

• Options
    It was in our lifetimes that VBACs were common and encouraged- I can only hope that it will be that way again with the new ACOG recommendations and if doctors and insurance companies can get on board (and if hospital lawyers could stay out of it!)  But I hear you.  I felt like I was constantly explaining to people why VBAC is safer than c/s when people just thought I was doing it just to see if I could.  So exhausting.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    When ob was telling me I needed a cs, you could hear and see he was disappointed/didn't think it was necessary.  My baby was breech.  I know it is the hospital policy.  He even made the comment that if I had come in ready to push, that he would have just delivered.  And when I asked if I could vbac, he didn't hesitate to say yes, that it was all he'd even consider.  But the hospital he is affiliated has a high c section rate, and a low vbac rate.  They have a lot of stupid rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"