Breastfeeding

wtf is this in my pump? pip

I've already emailed Medela about it with pictures included. Is it mold? Is it battery juice? I hate it and no matter how much I clean it with Clorox it won't go away. I apologize about the size, they have to be this big to see any detail

Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: wtf is this in my pump? pip

• mold.  I would call them to talk to a real person and see if they can expedite replacing yours.
  • def mold

Diagnosed PCOS & MFI-Success with IUI
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, Mold.  Yuck!  What kind of pump is that?
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• it looks like the freestyle...therer was anoyher bumpie not too long ago that had the same thing happen to her and when she c alled cs they sent her a new pump. GL
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageAmyG*:

unfortunately, the Medela pumps are not closed system pumps, so there is the potential for mold to grow in any of them.

:(

i use a symphony. it is a closed system.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagekatie4253:
    Yes, Mold.  Yuck!  What kind of pump is that?

It's the Freestyle. I'm bummed that it's mold...I don't see how that happens

Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • They should send you a new one as long as it's not a used pump.  I have the freestyle too and this hasn't happened.  I would think it is pretty rare or the reviews would be horrible.  
  • imageGenRN45:
    imageAmyG*:

unfortunately, the Medela pumps are not closed system pumps, so there is the potential for mold to grow in any of them.

While it is true that the hospital grade Medela pumps are closed systems ie; the Symphony, most everyone that I know is using a PISA.   They are not closed.  Most definitely not.

And OP, that's mold.  Stop using the pump and throw out any milk that you've already expressed.  Unfortunately, it's not safe to feed to your LO.

• imageanniebet619:
    They should send you a new one as long as it's not a used pump.  I have the freestyle too and this hasn't happened.  I would think it is pretty rare or the reviews would be horrible.  

It's not rare. It happens often actually.  You can't avoid it when you are using an open system like a PISA.  And there are horrible reviews, you just have to look in the right spot.  Google "medela pumps and mold" and see what you get.  

• imageLisa Frank:
    imageGenRN45:
    imageAmyG*:

While it is true that the hospital grade Medela pumps are closed systems ie; the Symphony, most everyone that I know is using a PISA.   They are not closed.  Most definitely not.

And OP, that's mold.  Stop using the pump and throw out any milk that you've already expressed.  Unfortunately, it's not safe to feed to your LO.

Yah too late on throwing away milk, it's been doing this for months but I just finally took it apart. Cr@p 

• What made you take it apart? I have never taken mine apart since DD #1 and I'm using it again for DD #2.

Now I'm wondering if I should. =(

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Medella said it's just dust and isn't harmful...and that my warranty is voided b/c I opened the motor lol. @#%$
  • imageMrsCarroll.6-10-07:

What made you take it apart? I have never taken mine apart since DD #1 and I'm using it again for DD #2.

Now I'm wondering if I should. =(

I got curious...Tongue Tied

I wanted to see if I wasn't seeing more to it and if there was a big black buildup of something harmful. I wouldn't if you're not worried about it or you can if you want, I'm sure if you're using it for DD #2 that the warranty has probably expired unless you want to try and see if they'll send you a new one 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"