June 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone use a breast pump to induce labor?

I remember a bunch of people talking about it a while ago but I didn't pay any attention to if it worked for anyone. I go in on Tues. and they are talking induction for weds and I would like to avoid that all together so I'm thinking I might bust out the pump! 

How long are you supposed to do it for? One at a time?? Is it the same as nipple stimulation??? Nothing is going to come out right???? lol Or should I even bother..

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone use a breast pump to induce labor?

• Options

It's the same as nipple stimulation and I would worry about it messing with my colostrum/early supply.

Any nipple stimulation that also includes the areola and mimics an infant nursing should do the same thing, but I'd look into a little bit, because there are some warnings that it's easy to overdo. I think I read that you should do one nipple for 5 minutes, wait 15 minutes, then do the other for 5 minutes, so you don't over stimulate. 

• Options
    I mentioned it to my dr and she said it wouldn't work for me. She said it might work more if you already have a child so it might work for you. I tried it but not much happened except a little colostrum smearing around.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesecondaryPULSE:

Also, don't worry about it messing up your supply/colostrum.

BFing is supply/demand. What you remove your body will replace.

It just seemed like messing with this system to me, since there is actually no baby eating what's coming out. But I see what you're saying! 

• Options
    They tried it for me when I went into the hospital with DS #1.  They were hoping to avoid pitocin.  It didn't work.  They had me pump fifteen minutes and then stop for 15 and then pump 15 again.  I did this three times.  GL.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well, I was all ready to do it and even went out and bought new equipment for the breast pump I'm using. BUT I just discovered it's missing the power cord (awesome) I guess that's a sign. Maybe i'll let DH have his fun tonight....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"