Hawaii Babies

We *thought* we had decided on a girls name

I'm in love with the names Amelia and Charlotte, but unfortunately Russ really dislikes them.  

We'd been going back and forth on names we like and finally decided that if we had a girl we would name her Theresa after me (my real name is Theresa) and we would call her Reese (like I go by Teri).  

HOWEVER... Elyse and Reese sound ridiculous together :(

Back to the drawing board.  We still have no boys names picked either. 

Re: We *thought* we had decided on a girls name

• Bummer, not that my opinion matters, but I love Charlotte and Reese! And Theresa is pretty too, what's wrong with calling her Teri like her Mama?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Aww, I love Amelia!  My friend named her daughter that.  Boo to Russ for vetoing those!
  • Loading the player...
  • Amelia and Charlotte were both on our girl list too. Smile Have you tried Nymbler to help look for names? When I put in Amelia, Charlotte and Theresa, I got Lila, Sophia, Clara and Olivia among others - do any of those help?
  • Thanks everyone! 

Lisa, I did the same thing!!

I've always LOVED the name Sophie, I babysat the cutest little Sophie when I was younger.  I've been struggling between my love for it and it's popularity.  

But I think our new top girl name is Sophie :)

I have a niece named Olivia, or it would be a contender.

• I know what you mean...we're struggling with girls names too...

BTW, I love Charlotte and Amelia...sad that Russ vetoed them for you!

Names I love but cannot use (due to various reasons...family already with those names, friend's kids with those names, or they sound weird with our lastname or with our other kid's name, etc.):

Madeline, Katherine, Miranda, Clara and Lily...

The only name we sorta agree on right now is Margaret with the NN Maggie, but I am not in love with it. J has already vetoed Daphne and Delilah.

I like Eleanor with a NN of Nora or Ellie, but J thinks it's weird to have two daughters with firstnames that start with E. We have thought about naming after our grandmothers, but that would leave us with Helen and Dorothy to work with...we've played with variations such as Helena and Dorothea (NN Thea). I dunno. We're settled on a boy's name, but no such luck for girls just yet. We were |thisclose| to naming Libby Olivia, but decided against it since it's uber popular. Not that Elizabeth isn't, but I guess we figured there's MANY NN options with Elizabeth that girls can use and Libby doesn't seem as popular as some of them (Liz, Beth, Lizzy, Lily, etc.) Plus it's my mom's middle name, so it had significant meaning to us. *sigh*

We've played with Nymbler too and so far haven't found anything other than Margaret (Maggie) that somewhat appeals to us. If we have another girl I want to be sure that she has a name that is as pretty and versatile as Libby's. One that I've been keeping in my mind for a while now is Julianna. I also like Vivienne. But since J is in veto mode right now, I've kept them to myself.

• I thik Elyse and Theresa are a good sibset. Does Elyse have a nick name? (El, Elly [I have a cousin named Alyse and I think she goes by Lisey]). If so, then Elly & Reese are not ridiculous. Also, you could always call the new one Reesa or Thea.. not at nicknames necessarily come directly from the first name! You could always call her by her middle name or something like that.

I also really like Amelia :)

• imageHulaLove:

Thanks everyone! 

Lisa, I did the same thing!!

I've always LOVED the name Sophie, I babysat the cutest little Sophie when I was younger.  I've been struggling between my love for it and it's popularity.  

But I think our new top girl name is Sophie :)

I have a niece named Olivia, or it would be a contender.

Oh, I really like Sophie :)

• baby naming is so hard!!  I really like the name Charlotte with the NN of Charlie.  Possible that NN could win over DH?
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I love the name Amelia - like yours my DH wasn't a fan.  We easily came to agreement over a family name (Clara) later, but I know what a difficult discussion it is.  Seems like men often just say "no" without much feedback - makes it that much harder to keep brainstrorming.

I really like the sounds of Theresa and Elyse.  Even if she eventually goes by Reece you don't have to tell people that was the plan all along  :)

• imagevanilla15:
    baby naming is so hard!!  I really like the name Charlotte with the NN of Charlie.  Possible that NN could win over DH?

I love the NN Charlie (my papa's name was Charles)!  I've tried, but still no go :( 

• imageMauiWedding08:

I love the name Amelia - like yours my DH wasn't a fan.  We easily came to agreement over a family name (Clara) later, but I know what a difficult discussion it is.  Seems like men often just say "no" without much feedback - makes it that much harder to keep brainstrorming.

I find it SO frustrating when I suggest dozens of names that I love and DH just says no.  He barely thinks about the name.  However, I've come back to Amelia and Charlotte several times so he's actually thought about them.  

He likes both Theresa and Sophie.  So there is hope :) 

• imageHulaLove:
    imageMauiWedding08:

I love the name Amelia - like yours my DH wasn't a fan.  We easily came to agreement over a family name (Clara) later, but I know what a difficult discussion it is.  Seems like men often just say "no" without much feedback - makes it that much harder to keep brainstrorming.

I find it SO frustrating when I suggest dozens of names that I love and DH just says no.  He barely thinks about the name.  However, I've come back to Amelia and Charlotte several times so he's actually thought about them.  

He likes both Theresa and Sophie.  So there is hope :) 

this was my biggest frustration when "we" were brainstorming names too!!! it's hard, but I'm sure you will settle on a great name :) I like all the names you're considering and really I don't think it's a big deal how the 2 names sound together b/c it really isn't going to be often that their names are said together. they are 2 separate individuals :) plus, if you call her Elle mostly then you don't have to worry about Reese rhyming with Elyse.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"