Houston Babies
Options

Weather Q from a somewhat newbie to Houston

So, I've been here almost a year, but missed most of last summer.  My DH and I came to visit at the end of May/early June of last year and I thought I remembered it being uh, cooler and less humid.  Is it usually this hot in June?  I keep hearing it's only going to get worse, but I can't even picture it being hotter or more humid.  What do you do with kids in this weather?  I usually like to go to the park/pool during the day but I just can't tolerate being outside that long without feeling like I am going to melt or have heat stroke.  Even in the shade I get hot.  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Weather Q from a somewhat newbie to Houston

• Options

I think Houston is having an unusually hot June, although not insanely so. It's been in the upper 90s and breaking 100, right? That's more like August weather, but June is still mostly in the 90s.

I am dying to move back to Houston, but really just to be around family and friends. I love NJ summers! Winters...eh. But summers are awesome. This week it hasn't gotten over 85. Earlier in the week the highs were in the low 70s! Yes

• Options
    imageTexasSmith:

I think Houston is having an unusually hot June, although not insanely so. It's been in the upper 90s and breaking 100, right? That's more like August weather, but June is still mostly in the 90s.

I am dying to move back to Houston, but really just to be around family and friends. I love NJ summers! Winters...eh. But summers are awesome. This week it hasn't gotten over 85. Earlier in the week the highs were in the low 70s! Yes

I love the East Coast!  I grew up in NY and all my family is either there, NJ, or Seattle.  Maybe we can trade for half the year?  You take summers here and I'll take the NJ summers? :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it has been a little hotter than normal but it's always hot, humid, and miserable during the summers here. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options

It reached the 100s sooner this year, but it seems to me that the humidity is pretty typical to low so far. Seems like it's usually stickier.

Another poster was correct though, August is usually the worst month.

Water parks and pools will be your friend :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Uh oh... :)  I'll adjust.  One day this weather will feel normal to me.  I just need to keep telling myself that :P
  • Options
    It actually has been hotter here this June than usual.  The average temperature for the first half of June was two degrees hotter than the previous June record (which had stood for 100 years.)
  • Options

imagekat.in.the.hat:
    It actually has been hotter here this June than usual.  The average temperature for the first half of June was two degrees hotter than the previous June record (which had stood for 100 years.)

Wow, that's impressive/crazy.  It makes me scared of August, which I know is the "worst" month, being that this June feels like last August.  It's hot enough to make me not want to go to the pool during the day with the kids, let alone anywhere where I need to walk to the car. 

• Options
    imageCrumcakefl:

It reached the 100s sooner this year, but it seems to me that the humidity is pretty typical to low so far. Seems like it's usually stickier.

Another poster was correct though, August is usually the worst month.

Water parks and pools will be your friend :) 

I agree with this. It's hotter than normal, but the humidity seems lower. Perhaps due to the drought?

- Jena
  • Options
    Your summertime friends for kids: indoor playgrounds, splash pads, Children's Museum, indoor play dates.  In other words, find places indoors, shaded, or pertaining to water.  :)
  • Options

To add to Nanner's list:

Have a Bunch of Fun (off of 529 and Highway 6) - you can check their schedule for open play

Stomping Grounds (Sugar Land)

Monkey Joe's (Westheimer and Dairy Ashford)

Movies (Studio Movie Grill does a kid's feature and so does the Alamo Draft House on Mason in Katy)

Noah's Ark - mini-water park at Westcenter and the Beltway

Children's Museum

Mall play areas

Splash pads (there is one on Kimberley Lane - Nottingham Splash Pad or something like that)

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • Options

It is bad. Houstonians must survive summer the way I imagine those in Wisconsin survive winter: stay inside as much as you can. You'll be rewarded in October when all the festivals begin and patio weather returns.

This year is not typical in that it started early, but this is what summer is like at some point every year.

I have found that Miller Outdoor Theater (with bug spray) is nice at night until July 1. Again, this year, it might have become bad at night a little earlier. But, I love to see performances at night in May and June - and then again in late September and into the fall.

My kids love the science museum and the art museum. 

As a child, though, I did not mind the weather as much. We played outside all summer running wild with the other kids on the block from mid-morning until evening. When you're a kid, you can stand it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"