Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Do I need a crib skirt?

I'm not registering for a bedding set cause we won't ever use the bumper or quilt.  I was just planning on registering for crib sheets.  Now I'm wondering, do I need a crib skirt? Will the crib look weird without one?

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Do I need a crib skirt?

• Options

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Right now we just have a sheet on the mattress and it kind of looks weird only because we can see the metal supports because the mattress level is at the highest. I think it just depends on if you really care what the nursery looks like or not.

After looking at the metal in my crib I am thinking I will go buy one.

• Options

You don't need it.  It is purely for looks and personal preference.  I personally like the way it looks when the mattress is at the higher levels.  At the lowest level the mattress support is hidden by the wood of the crib, so it isn't as important, and depending on how low the mattress support is to the ground the skirt can even look silly pooled on the floor.  

edited for spelling 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am using one to hid the things  that are being stored under the crib.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I didn't buy a bedding set either, just crib sheets.  But I did decide for aesthetic reasons to make a very simple crib skirt using the Young House Love blog directions (they have no-sew directions, and you can pick out whatever cute fabric you like).  It covers the metal piece, and since I don't have a ton of storage, I am planning to throw extra crib sheets, blankets, bath towels, etc in an underbed box that slides under the crib, so the skirt will hide that. 

And about lowering the bed, and the skirt being too long, you can easily adjust the YHL crib skirt later since their directions just call for velcro.  Easy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I dont' have one and my crib doesn't look strange. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options

imageMouseInLux:
    I dont' have one and my crib doesn't look strange. 

ditto, I like the way ours looks without one.

Picture3-3.jpg

Our Twin Baby + a Big Girl Blog

And with the delivery trifecra of one twin vaginal, one c-section with general anesthesia for twin B, Spencer and Sidney joined us at 35 weeks exactly on June 18.

• Options
    Nope - you don't need one.  We used one until we lowered the crib down at 6 months.  Then the crib skirt no longer worked with our crib.  Wish I never had to deal with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks a lot!

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

You definitely don't need one and I don't think the crib will look bad without one, but I have to say it's nice to be able to store things under the crib and have them hidden! We keep our baby tub under there as well as a plastic storage bin for baby clothes DD has outgrown.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"