VBAC
Options

if you are going for a vba2C

I was thinking about having another child in the future maybe in another few years. i was speaking to my cousin who is a L&D nurse she told me that since i didnt vbac this time next time i would def have to get a csection. Well I read a post on here about ACOG revising its guidelines now saying if you had 1 or 2 csections you may be a candidate for a vbac. I brought this to her attention and she was shocked saying she never knew that but obs follow ACOG. But she said with it being revised so recently 2010. she said that change may not really start happening or be taken seriously for another 2-3 years. she said it will take time for hospitals to really let moms vbac after 2 csections since its risky and it hasnt been tried or at least its not allowed at hers and hasnt been tried yet. she said many may still be against it for a while. has anyone had any problems with a hospital who will do this due to the revision and if you had to mention the change from ACOG did they change their mind?

Re: if you are going for a vba2C

• Options
    lkf041lkf041 member
    I'm attempting a vba2c this time around.  I did find a doctor that was supportive and the hospital that is as well.  I personally wouldn't go to a hospital where I would have to argue my case by showing them the ACOG guidelines.  With that said I see you are from the Philly area.  There are a few doctors around that will support and let you attempt a vba2c.  I contacted our local ican chapter (ICAN of SEPA) and they supplied me with a list of vbac friendly docs.  I specifically chose my doc because he was vbamc friendly and even supported a vbac on a classical incision. PM me if you want more info.
    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Some hospitals have a VABC ban altogether. If they get federal funding of any kind you could argue that they aren't following the guidelines for equal care under medicare/medicaid. I personally, don't want to have a fight with a nurse or doctor while in labor and them "forcing" (Which by the way is illegal) into another C/S. That's why I'm choosing to have my husband race down the highway like a mad man the 40 minutes to a hospital with a MUCH lower C/S rate and a pretty good rate for VBAC. I'm really hoping that ride in about 30 weeks isn't that bumpy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm hoping for VBA2C as well (if we have another). I recently spkoe to a L&D nurse in my area who said that she had heard of the new acog guidelines, but none had been done in our hospital to her knowledge. I'm not sure if this is necessarily because they are against it (although that could certainly be the case), but realistically, given how recent the new guidelines are, there just may not have been that many patients yet who have met the criteria. Not all women are even good VBAC candidates, and some will not want to VBAC and just do the rcs. Maybe it's just wishful thinkng on my part. I'm hoping that I have support when/if that time comes.

• Options

I am hoping to have a VBA2C in about 30 weeks, and am likely going to change providers to increase the liklihood of success.  I am meeting with a practice next week who has a reputation of practicing the "med-wife" philosophy toward childbirth, and deliver at a hospital with the lowest rate of cesareans in the area.  As a last resort (because sometimes a c/s is necessary) they do gentle cesareans if desired.

I've been doing a lot of message board stalking, particularly of sites that have doula boards.  I attended a local "meet the doula" night and got a lot of great info about who I should talk to and where I should go.  I would recommend contacting doulas in your area and getting their opinions.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"