Dallas-Fort Worth Babies

Birthing Class Question

Hi ladies. I'll be delivering at Baylor Grapevine and was wondering if anyone took the birthing classes through the hospital or if they went somewhere else and what their thoughts are on it?

I haven't heard much about the birthing classes, but I have heard the lactation consultants at Baylor Grapevine are a bit pushy. My mom is a retired L&D nurse and will be with me when I give birth (hoping I don't go into labor early, she lives in California lol) but I just wanted to take a class for my own knowledge in case I do go into labor early and she isn't here.

Thanks in advance!

imageimageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Birthing Class Question

• I took the BFing class there, but the birthing classes didn't fit into my schedule so I skipped it. The L&D nurses were great and told me what to do, so I probably did just as well to read some books and save the $120 for the class.

The LCs are pretty pushy and not terribly helpful. I went back for a visit when DS was 2 weeks old and her "plan" to help (pump and nurse around the clock) was not useful, considering my husband was never home due to work/school at that time. She had a "everyone can do this" attitude and did not want to acknowledge my problems with supply and IGT, nor DS's issues with reflux and MSPI. I gave in and put him on hypoallergenic formula that night and never looked back. I hope you have an easier time of it than me, but don't be afraid to push back if they are not being helpful.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thank you for replying. I was considering a class through a place my OB recommended but since my mom is going to be there I really don't think I'll need one. Hoping I can go the same route with the BF classes, just not sure yet.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been wondering the same thing! I'm going there for my tour on the 9th to get a feel for them.
  • imagejjmac:
    Thank you for replying. I was considering a class through a place my OB recommended but since my mom is going to be there I really don't think I'll need one. Hoping I can go the same route with the BF classes, just not sure yet.

The BF class was good - it's much easier to explain holds and latching and whatnot with a baby doll instead of staring at diagrams in a book. I am kind of a realist though and I found some of the information to be a little sanctimonious and made me feel like I was condemning my baby to being fat & stupid if I didn't/couldn't breastfeed.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm currently enrolled in the Birthing CLass at Baylor Dallas, I went to the first session last Sunday and have two more classes to attend. The first class was interesting.

The topics they cover in all three classes are: YOur body while preg,, contractions and signs/stages of labor, breastfeeding, postpard. care of mom and baby, epidural, c section, tour of the hospital, positions/techniques for labor. I think that's it, can't remember at the moment. As it was interesting I don't know if I would say it's necessary, I think most of the info can be read from a book or seen on youtube. My husband is going with me and for him it's good, helping him  to understand what is going on with my body and what we're in store for during labor and delivery.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"