2nd Trimester

Anyone taken a Z-Pak while pregnant?

I've had a bad infection (not sure if it's Sinus or what) since last Thursday. I finally broke down and called my OB office yesterday, and of course they wanted me to come in. My doctor prescribed a Z-Pak to take to get rid of whatever I have. It's a class B drug and one of the few antibiotics they say that you can take while pregnant. I just hate taking and exposing the baby to anything that I don't have to, but then again i'm sure this infection I have isn't good for him/her either.

Anyone else taken a Z-Pak during pregnancy?  If so, what was your experience with it? 

Re: Anyone taken a Z-Pak while pregnant?

• I took it because I had a terrible eye infection. It was fine - it didn't even give me my usual yeast infection that I get from antibiotics.

If you are in your 2nd Tri I wouldn't give it a second thought. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

In my bag: Nikon D90; 35mm 1.8, 90mm 2.8 macro (my fave), Lensbaby Composer with macro extensions. BFP after 13 cycles and one ectopic. Lost left tube 5/19/10.
  • imagecourt_k:

I've had a bad infection (not sure if it's Sinus or what) since last Thursday. I finally broke down and called my OB office yesterday, and of course they wanted me to come in. My doctor prescribed a Z-Pak to take to get rid of whatever I have. It's a class B drug and one of the few antibiotics they say that you can take while pregnant. I just hate taking and exposing the baby to anything that I don't have to, but then again i'm sure this infection I have isn't good for him/her either.

Anyone else taken a Z-Pak during pregnancy?  If so, what was your experience with it? 

I think you answered your own question. If your Dr prescribed it to you, you should be fine taking it. Especially considering your other option is to just have a bad infection, which clearly isn't good for the LO.

• Loading the player...
  • I did for tonsillitis, during my 1st trimester.  Infections are way worse than the potential risk of a class B antibiotic.  I'm only avoiding Class C and higher drugs. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did, just last week. I had a bacterial infection in my lungs. I ended up taking all 5 days worth of pills and now everything is fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mushEmushE member
    Took one last week, for a sinus infection.  Because I was feeling so sick from the sinus infection, I felt like it made the rest (sleeplessness, remaining m/s, etc.) even worse.  I started feeling better the second day.
    DS: 11/11
    TTC #2 since March 2014. BFP in April 2014; MMC @8w. CP December 2014 @5w
  • Not Zpak but I took two rounds of two different antibiotics for a sinus infection back in April...the infection lasted 1.5 months total. Sometimes it takes a lot longer for infections to resolve when you are pregnant. All I have to say is, you need to be healthy too.
  • I'm a Nurse Practitioner and I can tell you that the z-pack is one of the #1 antibiotics that we prescribe for pregnant women. A bacterial infection is way more risky than the z-pack we prescribe to treat it.

HTH!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I took it at approx 3 months pregnant for bronchitis.  I only took 4 days worth of the medicine, but did not experience any side effects.
  • Yep I took it for a sinus infection and it was fabulous!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was just prescribed the 5 day (500 mg, then 250 mg) Z-Pak from my midwife.  I was told it was a Class B drug.  This is my first baby so I am neurotic and two people in the office reassured me it is used for sinus and upper respiratory infections all the time without harm.  I feel a little bit better, but still nervous.

I am 27 weeks 3 days.. almost 3rd trimester.. 

• I did when pregnant with my daughter.  No side effects.  Actually I was so happy to finally be feeling better. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"