Parenting after 35
Options

I can't handle anything else. I am a wreck.

I went to the hospital this morning to do PT with my dad because he's terrified of it due to having an attack on Friday 5 minutes after his PT ended. Although the two are unrelated, he has severe anxiety which is understandable. However, he needs to get physically stronger in order to be ready for the organ should a heart become available. Well, he had yet another attack this morning while I was on my way there. Seriously? How much more can the guy endure? Even with the LVAD device, he's having this attacks. My heart is so broken for him.

Then, our pediatrician just called and told me Jace's list of allergies (had blood tests on Friday):

egg white
peanut
sesame seed
corn
soybean
wheat
dog
cat
cottonwood
elm
white ash

Are these tests accurate? I have an appt with an allergist but it's not until July 22.

I am scared. I can't handle all of this. I want to be sedated. My dad, the house, the job, Jace's allergies, everything. It's just too much.

Re: I can't handle anything else. I am a wreck.

• Options

Oh goodness Jen.  That is alot on one plate.  My prayers to you that your dad gets stronger for the transplant. 

On the blood test, Michael and I have both had it done.  I am allergic to Timothy grass and Michael is not allergic to anything tested for.  I think that they are a pretty accurate screener and, IMO, less painful and invasive than the traditional "scratch test."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My pediatrician said that he wouldn't do tests until he was "older" because there are too many false positives.  Good Luck
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he gets better.

Not sure how accurate the allergy tests are.

• Options
    PeskyPesky member
    Left Hug  That's a lot for anyone to handle.  Hope things get better!!

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

Oh hon, I'm so sorry.

Hopefully your dad's condition will stablize very soon and he'll get over the shock of everything and get healthier.  I'm sure he's scared out of his mind right now.. as are you.

As for the house stuff... (including the previous post), you can always delay buying another house right away and move to somewhere temporary for a little while until you find that "perfect" fit for your family.  There are always rental homes out there.  So you have to move twice.. oh well... there are worse things.

And the allergy stuff... I don't have much advice there.  But my cousin's kid had a ton of allergies, including egg and soybeans, and I believe she eventually outgrew some of that stuff.   I was tested once and was told I'm deathly allergic to cats and pretty much every kind of grass and weed and tree.  Which is funny, since I have cats and am only bothered by grass and weeds during certain times of the year.

God only gives us as much as we can handle.  In your case, you must be Superwoman.

• Options

I'm SO sorry you're dealing with all of this Jen.  I really am.

I'll tackle the allergies first.

Until you see the allergist, I'd follow your pedi's advice and avoid those foods. Of course with breads (wheat/corn) it's not as easy. But if I'm not mistaken, gluten free is wheat free (someone can correct me) so look for that.

My nephew had a LOT of allergies (egg and milk) when he was Jace's age but he outgrew most of them (food) by age 5.

As for your dad... I wish I knew what to say. I know it's overwhelming and you're being a wonderful daughter being there for him.  I know things are grim and I just hope he rallies and gets a transplant. 

Hang in there, Jen.  Things have to get better. They just do.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    steverstever member
    Holy crap! I am so, so sorry Jen. I have no words, just wish I could give you a hug :(
  • Options

Oh, jeez.  I am so sorry, Jenn, that is so much to deal with even over time, let alone all at once.  It sounds really overwhelming.  :(

*hugs* 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    So sorry you're dealing with all this... we are anxiously awaiting Charlie's allergy test results as well.
  • Options

Wow Jen, that's a lot to handle at once. Will Jace outgrow some allergies as he gets bigger?

Sorry about your dad, sending you lots and lots of hugs and I hope things get better Left Hug

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options
    That is a lot to handle. When you get a spare moment, I highly recommend checking out the Food Allergy board on The Bump. My son has Celiac Disease (no gluten- wheat/rye/barley) and the board is a great resource. There are tons of ladies with great allergy advice. Just to confirm what an earlier poster said, gluten-free does mean wheat free. Not sure if cross-contamination is going to be an issue for your son, but if it is, when you're buying products that claim to be gluten-free, always check for a statement about what other foods might be processed in the same plant.
    Cy (04.02.2008) & June (10.05.2010) 
  • Options

imagePesky:
    Left Hug  That's a lot for anyone to handle.  Hope things get better!!

This.  Hang in there.  T&Ps for your dad.

Ten months: Mr. Giggles!
    Photobucket
    A10 March Siggy: Next vacation - Maine!
    Photobucket

kikijbunny (formerly kikijbird)
    Our jbunny born April 17, 2011 at 34w 1d (EDD May 28) due to irritable ute + early dilation

Mommy Blog: And Baby Makes Pi
    Pregnancy/Baby Blog: Eggs Over Anxious
    BFP chart

Anniversary

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options

I'm sorry to hear about your father....that is very stressful.  Sending you thoughts and prayers to you and your family. 

On a side note, have you spoken to your own family doctor about the stress you are enduring. They may be able to help you or recommend something to get you through this difficult time.  I know when I'm stressed, I'm not help to anyone and it sounds like you may need some caring for yourself so you can be in good working condition to help your other family members.  Just a thought.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Delivered 3 weeks and 2 days early via emergency c/s due to pre-e

Anniversary
    Trying to Conceive Ticker image
  • Options

Thanks for your friendship ladies! I ended up getting some help from Mr Xanax that day. It was just too much that day. I still have all of the same stresses but am managing them much better now. I guess it all just hit at once and overwhelmed me.

Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"