Houston Babies
Options

Red-shirting debate on the NYT

It's too soon for us to think about this, but I fouund this debate in the NYT very interesting. 

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/06/12/whos-ready-for-kindergarten

What do you think?  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Red-shirting debate on the NYT

• Options

There was a recent post about this here.

I have a daughter with a summer birthday and I'm starting her in public school kindergarten this August.  I thought the article you linked to was interesting because I never knew there were states that allowed 4yos to attend kinder.

• Options
    PAGASPAGAS member

I grew up in Maryland, and anyone born in the same year (Jan-Dec) was allowed to start Kindergarten.  I had quite a few friends with Nov=Dec birthdays who started Kindergarten at 4 years old.

I am annoyed that F will be one of the oldest kids in her class.  When we were thinking private school, we might have sent her to Kindergarten early and repeated it if necessary.  My niece did Kindergarten a year early (September birthday) by going the private school route.  It was supposed to be for one year.  She is in middle school and is still in middle school.

I think HISD should be more flexible.

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have a Dec bday and was always on the older end of the class.  While I would have handled K early academically, emotionally not so much. 

As a teacher I can say that there is a noticeable difference in the almost 6's and almost 5's in terms of their maturity.  The older kids nearly always are more appropriate, are better leaders, and pick up on the lessons faster.  They express less anxiety and thrive more in the hustle and bustle that K has become.  It is not like when us 30-somethings went to school half day.  The ideas required to be taught (by state curriculum standards) in K are closer to those we learned in 1st. 

I have a Feb child and a Dec one on the way, and I personally and professionally am glad they will get the few extra months to prepare.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKKMMex:

There was a recent post about this here.

I have a daughter with a summer birthday and I'm starting her in public school kindergarten this August.  I thought the article you linked to was interesting because I never knew there were states that allowed 4yos to attend kinder.

This is why I was younger than everyone else.  I attended kinder in Louisiana at 4 y/o and didn't turn 5 until Nov. 12.

• Options

I redshirted DS.  Some people agreed with me and some didn't, but I know it was best for him.  His Bday is August 27 so he only made the cutoff by a few days. He wasn't due until December so it shouldn't have even been an issue for us.

He was probably mostly academically ready last August, he was already reading well, pretty good at math, etc, but I really don't think that he would have had the maturity to sit still for so long and focus for such long periods.  I think he will start K this year much more prepared.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"