Houston Babies
Options

Do you give your kid soda?

Not judging if you do!

I was surprised at Reagan's check up on Friday when they asked me how much soda she drinks each week. For us it's none. The only time she has had any is if she has taken a sip of ours to taste what we are drinking. For the most part my kids drink milk or water only with occasional juice. 

Crazy Christmas Kids!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you give your kid soda?

• Options

nope... and i'm lucky she doesn't even like it.

she accidentally drank my sprite once, thinking it was water and she spit it out!

the girl doesn't like chocolate or vanilla milk, either... just plain.

like you, maddy usually gets milk or water.  juice is allowed at parties, and sometimes when we eat out with friends/family.

• Options
    nope, J has had a sip and didn't like it.  I will on occasion buy juice.  My mom gave them Kool-aid the other day and I know I looked at her like she sprouted an extra head.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Both have tried a sip from my cup. DD hates it. DS... he likes it. I was REALLY hoping that one sip would put him off it forever like it seems to have done.

I do not serve my kids soda. When we eat out they get lemonade, fruit punch or milk.

We do have a pretty strong juice addiction though. The only good news is that it's less than a quarter juice and mostly water. I wish she'd drink plain water more, but honestly I'm not really modelling that for her Embarrassed I have to limit milk as DD will drink it to the exclusion of food, and at 4, that's just not good.

- Jena
  • Options

No way- but a lot of kids do, which is probably why the pedis ask.

My kids will not have soda til the last minute if I can help it. I drink it and I tell them it's for grown ups, like beer and wine. They are fine with that so until they push it, why would i want to offer it? I don't feel the need to introduce bad stuff (and soda is bad. for all of us. not judging those who drink it b/c i do, but i do it knowing it's bad for me) before they ask for it. 

• Options

I went to lunch one day with a friend and her 3-1/2 yr old and she let him order a Dr. Pepper...I didn't think much about it until I got home and I was like "what?!?!"  lol

Mason has had a sip of it from our drinks but I don't give it to him or anything, with the exception of some Sprite on occasion, but I really don't view that as soda, guess that's because it doesn't have caffeine but I'm sure the sugar content is not good. 

It's mostly water, milk, or juice here.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options

Cooper is younger, but no.  I don't plan on him getting it until he's much older.  If he does, it will be something family members give him without me knowing.

I can't even get the kid to drink juice.  Two weeks ago he needed the juice and refused.  I tried a dozen different ways, he didn't want it.

• Options
    He's tasted 7up and something else while we were in Costa Rica... I think it was a grapefruit or tangerine soda maybe?  I don't remember, I know it was something we can't buy here.  But no, we don't give it to him to drink.  He usually won't drink juice either so it's pretty much milk or water.   I'm not opposed to the occasional non-caffeinated soda for older kids though. 
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Options

DD does not drink soda. Juice is a different matter though. In our country - Colombia - juices are a staple. Most people, including children, drink juice with every meal and it's considered healthful. 

We do give DD juice but only juice we have made from scratch (guava, soursop, mango, tangerine, strawberry, passion fruit, lulo, etc.) or Fruitables (90 calories) or Honest Kids (70 calories).  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

They steal our drinks every chance they get and I don't like it.  They've had Sprite before and always want it, but you can't always get what you want.  I buy flavored water and they think it is sprite.  I always reiterate it is just water with lime.

My Mom has given them soda and it absolutely infuriates DH.

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • Options

I have not.  DS is only 2, though, so it's probably just a matter of time before someone (read: my mom) will let him "try" it.  I will try not to allow it for him at home as long as possible.  It's hard, though, b/c we do drink Coke, and usually have that on hand - so I feel like a hypocrite drinking it and telling DS that he can't have any, but I guess that's a part of parenting!  ;-)

He drinks milk and (100% apple, but watered down) juice.  He rarely drinks water, but we water down the apple juice so much, that he is getting fluids from that. 

• Options
    imagerayskit10:

My kids will not have soda til the last minute if I can help it. I drink it and I tell them it's for grown ups, like beer and wine. They are fine with that so until they push it, why would i want to offer it? I don't feel the need to introduce bad stuff (and soda is bad. for all of us. not judging those who drink it b/c i do, but i do it knowing it's bad for me) before they ask for it. 

I could have written this word for word! I drink a soda a day, but my kiddo knows it's for grown-ups only. 

He drinks milk and water like a champ, thank goodness.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PAGASPAGAS member
    No soda for F.  She only gets water or milk at home, with juice at parties/grandma's house.
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options

K drinks very little....occassional sips of daddy's diet coke, and an occassional lemonade when dining out....generally her drinks of choice are water, milk, and juice (though at home juice is the V8 fruit & veggie kind).

There is only 1 time that I willing let her have a whole soda and that was at her 5th b-day party, where we served Frostie cream soda & strawberry Crush (both of which are caffeine free, at least).

• Options

No soda for DD either.  She's only 7 months.  I don't plan to give her any for a long time and if I do, it will be watered down.

• Options
    mom2llmom2ll member
    We let Luca have some Sprite once, it was a situation where we were out and they didn't have lemonade.  We usually let the kids have a lemonade when we go out to eat (we ask that they dilute in 50/50 with water).  I honestly don't think lemonade is any worse than chocolate milk.  We believe in all things in moderation. 
  • Options
    My kids will get lemonade out too though usually Abby chooses milk instead. Then again Reagan doesn't like chocolate so I was beginning to think my kids are just weird.
    Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Nope.  I think DH might have let Charlotte have a sip of his Dr. Pepper once, but that's it.  I got her a cherry limeade once at Sonic, and she drank a few sips and declared it "too spicy", LOL.  Even if she had liked it, it would be a VERY, very rare treat.

Like everyone else said, she drinks tons of milk and water, and when we go out places, she gets lemonade or fruit punch (diluted 1/4 juice and 3/4 water)).  Of course, when we go to birthday parties and the like, she'll drink a juice box.  I'm with bpaullo, though...everything in moderation, except soda.  I didn't drink it regularly until I was in college, and I plan on keeping her away from it as long as possible.  She knows that Diet Dr. Pepper is a mommy drink, like wine and beer, and she's content with that.

• Options
    Having watched a mom order coke with no ice, then pour it into a sippy cup for her 15 month old, I can completely understand why pedis ask! 
  • Options

No sodas. Only water and milk.

And I'm still a little ticked over having to specifically explain that Crystal Light shaken in a bottle of water does not = water Hmm

• Options

no soda here either. I don't think I have a specific age in mind where it is ok, but she hasn't asked for it and I don't offer it. We've been able to avoid it  with mostly no problem (although it was almost an issue at a b day party where the punch was soda mixed and someone poured it for her).

However one day I read the note from school and they gave them leprachaun Juice, (on st pats) which was sprite mixed with something green (the kids mixed it and got to watch the color change or something). I was shocked, the teachers don't usually do that sugary type stuff. And they usually get water with their snack. It really bugged me but the teacher said it was a one time thing so I let it go.

-Clare
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    No sodas here. I know Aidan has had some Dr. Pepper because my SIL puts it in my niece's sippie cup and he has drank from it before. I guess he didn't really like it because he never asks for it when she is carrying her cup around.
  • Options
    Never.  O seems to really hate carbonation.  He tried sparkling cider once and spit it back out complaining about the bubbles.  My brother ordered sprite for his 2 year old all the time so I know it's regularly done.  
  • Options
    We will let the kids have Sprite occasionally, or Ribena, which is a black currant flavored drink, but that's it. We used to buy them one of those or juice when we'd go out, but drinks are so ridiculously expensive here-- like $6!--and then they would barely drink any of it, so now we stick with water usually. At home it's always water or milk. Never caffeinated stuff though.
  • Options
    No soda here. She drinks milk, water, and diluted juice. She gets chocolate milk or lemonade as a treat when we go out to eat. But most of the time I still take her sippy cup with water or diluted juice. She's tried a sip of Sprite and Coke before, she liked the Sprite but didn't like the Coke.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes, when we go out to dinner Abbie either has Sprite or Root Beer.  Nothing with caffeine and we only go out to eat at most once or twice a month.  She only drinks water or milk or juice at home, so I don't worry about it.  As pp said, everything in moderation.  She is almost 7 though, so I think that's different.  She probably had her 1st Sprite when she was 3, maybe 4?  Like I said though, it's not often and she drinks so much water and milk that I don't worry about it.
    Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • Options

No.  C barely eats anything so I won't introduce bad things to him until he absolutely demands it.  I can't see giving him candy or soda when he flat out refuses most food.  I have to work on the good stuff first.  Finding rewards for him is hard.  I don't want to give him treats of candy, etc. for potty training or other events, when he won't eat.  I'm afraid to get him hooked on something not as good as real food.

For  what it's worth we got the candy/ soda question at C's 2yo appointment.  I looked at her like she had three heads.  Who gives that to a 2yo?

• Options
    Nope.  Neither kid gets it and I hope is stays that way for a long time.  DH and I don't drink it very often unless it's mixed with something Big Smile
  • Options
    Nope, only if she takes a few sips of mine on occasion. Usually she drinks water, milk, or juice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageFebruary Siggy Challenge: Neil Patrick Harris from Dougie Howserimage
  • Options

Nope. None.

Our oldest stole a sip of my drink once and was taken aback by the fizzy. He let it fall out of his mouth. This was when he was 2.5; I think he might like it now, but I am ignoring that possibility as long as I can.

In pre-school, they discussed healthy and unhealthy food. That has also helped us keep all kinds of things in balance with regards to sweets.

However, I recognize the issue...I see it. I always think that is probably a battle they just didn't want to fight in many cases. I can sympathize, even though I don't agree. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"