Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Fast breathing (9 days old)

My LO is 9 days old and he's been breathing very fast from what I can tell.  He also makes lots of noises when he's sleeping.  I had to have a c-section with him so in the hospital the pediatrician kept saying it was normal for c/s babies to do this because the excess fluid didn't get squeezed out of his lungs like it would have for a vaginal delivery.  They said it should go away within a couple days.  

I asked the pediatrician on Monday at his 1 week visit and she sort of dismissed the question saying that babies breathing patterns change a lot and can be faster or slower.  He's already above his birth weight so I know he's getting enough food and isn't working too hard, but the fast breathing worries me.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? 

Re: Fast breathing (9 days old)

• Options
    My DD still has periods of fast breathing at times she sounds like she can`t get her breath and also is a really loud sleeper. Our Dr said that it was normal for babies to do this and not to worry she would grow out of it. (this was at an appointment last Friday)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS had periods of really fast breathing, almost like he was panting, for the first 6-8 weeks. And he is still a noisy sleeper. My pedi said both are normal.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS was a fast breather too and he was vaginally delivered. He grew out of it around 6-8 weeks. It just slowly got less and less until one day I realized that he was breathing normally. He's a much quieter sleeper now too. He used to grunt and fuss the whole time he was sleeping, now he just lays there and sleeps quietly.

• Options
    My DD does this too. She changes her breathing patterns a lot. Sometimes she is panting, or slower deeper breaths, or even gasps sometimes. She makes a lot of noises in her sleep too. It's totally normal. They're still trying to get their lungs and diaphragm completely figured out.
    247974_10150219025198856_639013855_7090709_4685070_nimage
  • Options
    DD wil be 6 wks. sat. they told us the same thing but they diagnosed her with stridors look it up i even think there is videos on you tube and video record the breathing and noises for the dr. to see,keep on the drs. because mom always knows best, but my lo isn't gaing weight either so i have to supplement with ff just because she's breathing hard burning up so many calories,mostdo grow out of it , she was a c/s and the suctioning ,follow your gut i did and they did a scope on her and found that her airway is no bigger than a straw and the epigoltis is miss shaped so we meet with the ENT tommrow to dscuss our options but more than likely she'll need surgery to corrct the epiglotis. i am not trying to scare but share our story ,her condition is called laryngomyalacia. good luck. you can pm me if you have questions.
  • Options
    As long as it sounds like rapid breathing and not gasping for air, it's completely normal.  They grow out of it rather quickly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"