September 2011 Moms
Options

Did my name just get spoiled?

DH and I agreed on Amelia about a month ago. Recently a friend who is due 3 days before me made this big announcement that she has chosen Amelia for her little girl. I'm actually not worried about these to little ones sharing a name, but it does make me think that the popularity of the name could skyrocket and then she'd be one of a million Ameila's. Did my name just get spoiled?  

On the flipside, my DH mentioned the name at work and his coworker said "But that name is so old fashioned" Which makes me like it even more. :)) I'm a fan of old fashioned. That, and his coworker is a knucklehead.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Did my name just get spoiled?

• Options
    kleu9kleu9 member
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the name. Don't think it was spoiled at all!
  • Options
    I don't think it is spoiled, but I do think it is gaining in popularity a little bit. My co-worker had a little girl last year and named her Amelia. I think it is a lovely name though!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I <3 Amelia. It's so pretty and charming.

The popularity has gone up quite a bit in the past couple years (not in the top 200 10 years ago: now it's in the top 50). You can check that out here

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

I wouldn't let popularity ruin it for you, especially a classic name like Amelia.

xox,

William's Mother

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagePurplePanda83:
    I don't think it is spoiled, but I do think it is gaining in popularity a little bit. My co-worker had a little girl last year and named her Amelia. I think it is a lovely name though!

Agreed. I know 2 Amelias born this past year. But I still think the name has a long way to go before it catches up with the Olivia, Emma/Emily, Madeline trend. 

My Heart!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

DD is named Amelia (she's going to be 5 this year). The name is more common now, but like other posters said, not yet like others. 

• Options
    Amelia is adorable!!! I don't think it is spoiled and I don't know any Amelia's currently! Love the old fashioned names. We are naming ours Norah if its a girl!
  • Options
    this LO was going to be Amelia if he was a she and not a he.
  • Options

imagerabajorek:
    Amelia is adorable!!! I don't think it is spoiled and I don't know any Amelia's currently! Love the old fashioned names. We are naming ours Norah if its a girl!

That's my DD's name. It's the only girl name I really loved last time, and we get so many compliments on it :)

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Great name.

Don't think this should spoil it for you. I'm a huge advocate of common names--mine is Emily, and I love it despite sharing it with about every third girl in my age group.

Only question is if you want to tell this friend in advance that you are planning to use it also, as a heads up (pros and cons either way).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    oops, double post. sorry!
  • Options

It's definitely a name that I am hearing a lot among babies being born these days. I think a lot of people who like Emily or Emma but think they're too popular are choosing Amelia instead. That said, it's a beautiful name, and that's the most important thing. Also, you can try, but you can never really forecast which names are going to take off in popularity. And, popularity today is not the same as popularity when we were kids. The year I was born ('79), 3.2922% of girls were named Jennifer. Last year, only 1.1709% of girls were named the most popular name (Isabella). Only 0.2790% were named Amelia in 2010; a comparably popular name in '79 was Dawn (try it with your year of birth). So I'm sure she'll know other Amelias, but she won't be one of 5 in her class.  

The basic message is that if the reason you like Amelia is related to how unique it is to your generation's ears, you might choose something else, because it likely won't continue to sound unique. But if you love it because you love it....I wouldn't let the popularity phase you. It's not the equivalent of all the Jennifers and Jessies and Katies in our third grade classrooms!  

• Options

Eh people are always going to criticize a new parent's choice of names for the baby.  Annoying but true.  BUT the name you chose is just BEAUTIFUL.  I'm with you...I love old fashioned names.  They have a certain charm to them I think. Smile

My g'pa and his cousin both shared the same first name when they were born a few months apart, and actually they both loved the fact that they shared the name.  So I wouldn't worry too much.  If you like the name and want to name your child that... then definately do it.  Otherwise you might just keep regretting it afterwards...and it is so pretty too!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love Amelia. I was also thinking Amelie, but since I don't speak French, I'm having a hard time figuring out the proper pronunciation. Any French speakers in here?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Obviously I love Amelia.  Smile 
  • Options

Okay so I'm totally biased (DD is Amelia) but speaking from experience.. the whole "popularity" thing totally depends on where you are. My (loud-mouthed) neighbor is always telling me how she "liked the name Amelia too but then she read it was the most popular name in 2009."

DD was born in December of 2009 and you'd think if it was "THE" most popular name out there that I would have heard at least one other person with the name prior to December? Not that I care about that.. but anyway.. 

I have known about four people who named DD's Amelia since my daughter was born, and all of them use a nickname, so keep that in mind as well. Our Amelia is "Amelia" -- she may have a few others in her class with that given name but are called "Mia" or "Amy" or "Lia" or "Emmy" .. 

We still get many many compliments on her name and people say that they haven't heard it in ages. Someone predicted a few years ago that it was going to be super popular but I haven't noticed that it has, in the Midwest anyway.. maybe there are a million little Amelia's toddling around Los Angeles.. 

• Options

imagegwendarling:
    I love Amelia. I was also thinking Amelie, but since I don't speak French, I'm having a hard time figuring out the proper pronunciation. Any French speakers in here?

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure it's "Am - A- Lee" 

??

• Options

Amelia was my original pick for a girl! I love the name... but don't really like Amy (mostly because it is so popular; I know a ton of them) and was worried she would go by Amy and not Amelia.

As for it being spoiled, I don't think so!  I love old fashioned names as well :)

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"