September 2011 Moms
Options

babymoon help requested from the NY girls

Okay, since DH and I are both teachers, we decided to take the babymoon in July. Our 1 year anniversary is July 17th, so we thought we would take a 3 night/ 4 day mini-vacation somewhere.

We have it narrowed down to:

1)Montauk Point

2) Fire Island

3) Cape Cod

4) The Berkshires

While I have gone to all 4, I have never gone to any of them as a married woman that cannot get loaded and party until the sun rises. Any of you gals have any experience with a more sedate trip to these locales?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: babymoon help requested from the NY girls

• Options

I'm not an NY girl, but I was a NJ girl, and now I'm an MA girl, and thus, I want to respond!

First of all, babymoons are wonderful. I'm so glad we did it. It is very different taking a trip when you can't totally partake- and it was annoying that my DH totally did! But still, it was fun, and you end up forcibly relaxing more, which is a good thing.

I wanted to suggest Martha's Vineyard. It's one place where nobody parties til the sun comes up. You won't feel like you are missing out by turning in early, and the beaches are reaaaaaaaaallly beautiful. You go to Woods Hole on the Cape and take the ferry over, with or without your car. It's just romantic and lovely and calm.

• Options

I grew up around the Berkshires and if you want to goa  more mellow route, you could see if there is a concert at tanglewood when you are going to be there and get tix, picnic on the lawn, and stay at a B & B in lenox.  There is a great bookshop, called the bookstore in old town lenox that is my favorite place in the world.  Also, if you are a little hippy dippy (which I am), Arlo Guthrie's "church" is nearby and he usually has summer events there, whether concerts or classes, etc. 

My personal choice would be cape cod, with maybe atrip out to Martha's Vineyard.  You can eat your way through and just generally relax there without going all crazy.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with Martha's Vineyard. Take a stroll around Edgartown, nice beaches. I think all of the places you mentioned would be great as a pregnant, sober lady. We really like Newport too. 
  • Options
    Oh I love Newport! I want to go.
  • Options

Wow, 3 votes for Martha's Vineyard. I think we are going to have to do some research about it.

Just looked up some pictures of MV and it looks low-key and really pretty. Thanks girls!!

• Options

imageMrsMVM:
    Oh I love Newport! I want to go.

Isn't it fun?!? Have you ever been to Castle Hill Inn for brunch? Freakin GREAT! Pricey but worth the fabulous view. 

• Options
    Some one recommended the Hob Knob Hotel in Edgartown. I have no idea how $$ it is and we have never stayed there but it looks cute!
  • Options
    I've never been to any of the above, but my SO and I usually go once a year to Cape May, NJ and it's so nice there. The beach is right across the street from the B&B we stay in and it is a "pregnant friendly" area with lots of shops and things to do.
  • Options
    I love love love Fire Island.  I am going over Sunday with the girls for an outing actually.  Back in the partying days, we had gotten a party house every year and spent a good chunk of the summer over there, that I will miss..... But that being said, I still love it there just for hanging out and great food and cute shops.  I would vote for that definitely!  DH and I were considering a weekend over there if he can get away....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I <3 the berkshires. But definitely would take into account the amount of traffic you would have to sit in to get to your destination.

Some ideas of things to do to get you started in the Berkshires, though it is a fairly large area to cover

1. Music/dance/theater--most outdoors: Jacobs Pillow, Tanglewood, Williamstown Theater Festival, theater company in Great Barrington

2. Museums: Mass MoCA (modern art), Clark (great impressionist collection), Normal Rockewell, Williams College Museum of Art

2b. Dorky historical pseudo-museum that is mostly outdoors: Shaker Village

3. Shopping: Outlets (Manchester, VT or Lee, MA), Cute towns (Stockbridge, Lenox, Lee, Great Barrington, Williamstown)

4. Spas--there are a few. Canyon Ranch is probably the nicest but would depend on your budget.

But, like I said, I am biased. Lots of nice hotels. My personal fave is The Porches (in North Adams, which isn't a town you'd really want to go to but is near some of the other sites I mentioned). Plenty of good food.

5. Outdoors/not so strenous hiking: Mt Greylock

6. Minor league baseball---pittsfield Mets

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Being a Long Island girl, I'm fond of Montauk :) It's literally the end of the island, and can be very relaxing. However, Cape Cod is beautiful, and has a lot of little shops and things to do. Good luck with your decision - it seems like a tough one!!
  • Options

imageJo&Matt6609:
    Being a Long Island girl, I'm fond of Montauk :) It's literally the end of the island, and can be very relaxing. However, Cape Cod is beautiful, and has a lot of little shops and things to do. Good luck with your decision - it seems like a tough one!!

I didn't know you were also a long island girl.... where are you from?

• Options
    I know it wasn't an option, but I love Bar Harbor, Maine for a relaxing get away.  
  • Options
    Another option is Newport, Rhode Island.  Great shops, restaurants, incredible mansions to tour, the cliff walk is beautiful, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I happen to reside in the Berkshires and I can attest that it is indeed...sedate.  And maybe a little boring.  I would be all over Cape Cod myself, but if you end up here, we should have lunch! 
  • Options

Also, I have to second the recommendation for The Porches in North Adams.  I really wanted to stay there for the upcoming Wilco/Solid Sound festival, but alas, I cannot justify such an expense since I live 3 miles away :)

It's true that there are a lot of theater/dance things here in the summer, which are fun!  You will be treking up and down Route 8 the entire time, though.  

It's also true that there's a John Derian store in Provincetown:

https://www.johnderian.com/index_home.html 

Maybe I need to suck it up and get Monseiur ar78 to take me when he gets home from Israel.   

• Options

Newport is really nice in the summer.

You could also think about going to Block Island. The ferry ride is a lot of fun, and it is lovely there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"