Postpartum Depression
Options

Pristq

I don't know if this fits in the category, but here we go..I've been on Pristq for awhile and it's always helped my mind be better. I'm not miserable and I think better. When I found out I was pregnant, the hospital told me it's best to stop it. I stopped it cold turkey. I am now 18 weeks along and feel myself falling apart more and more. I spoke with a midwife and she reccommended me to see a psychiatrist, I know what I need and it's my meds. Has anyone taken this and it didn't hurt anything? I figure when I go back to the obgyn I'm seeing a doctor this time and hopefully they will be more inclined.

Re: Pristq

• Options

I have not taken this particular med, but here is what my psychiatrist told me about meds and pregnancy:

-Some are okay to take during pregnancy, and some are not.  If Pristiq is not, the psychiatrist will be able to help you find one that will help you and be safe for the LO.

-Many people think that quitting their meds is best for the baby, but studies have shown that in women with severe depression, the fetus has a higher level of cortisol which indicates stress.  This can actually set the fetus up for issues with depression.  So, quitting meds is not always the best idea.

-Also, if you are falling apart mentally, this is dangerous for you and the LO.  Definitely talk to your ob/gyn and a psychiatrist immediately.  There is no reason for you to feel bad when there are medications that will be safe for your LO, and that will help you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think because the Pristiq is relatively new, they'll probably try you on something else.  But there are many options that are considered safe and have been more extensively studied in pregnant women.

A friend of mine takes Lexapro.  I know my doctor told me that Zoloft is also generally considered safe.

Feel better soon.

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Pristiq is not recomended while pregnant.  It has not been studied in humans but has shown in animal testing to cause some harm to the fetus.  It is also not recomended to take while BFing. 

I agree with the above poster to talk to your Dr about different meds.  There are safer SSRIs that have been on the market and studied much longer. 

GL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    redsheredshe member

I took Pristiq during my recent pregnancy as my Doctor told me it was safe (she explained possible side effects etc. which I can't remember anymore but I can say that if they were concerning I would have ask her to put me on something else)

I had no complications during my pregnancy and now have a happy healthy baby boy.  I have however just changed medications as I found after I had given birth the pristiq wasn't working as it normally did, my Doctor thinks it was because my metabolism has increased with BFing so put me on something similar that doesn't break down as quickly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"