October 2011 Moms

Safe to be around someone with pneumonia??

My husband's grandfather just went in to the hospital yesterday with pneumonia.  Is it safe for me to visit him today?  We're going to be at the same hospital for our anatomy scan today and wanted to stop and see him.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Safe to be around someone with pneumonia??

• I think it will be ok. I work around older people with pneumonia every day.
  • Pneumonia itself isn't very contagious, but what caused the pneumonia might be. You can visit and just wear a hospital mask. I've worked in a hospital for 4 years and I've never gotten sick from a patient, and I've been around some really sick people. Just protect yourself with a mask.
  • Loading the player...
  • My grandfather was in the hospital during my first tri. He had had a stroke so I didn't really think about it being contagious, even though he also had pneumonia and was around many other sick, older people. I visited him daily and didn't get so much as a cough. I would think you would be fine. Wear a hospital mask just to be safe
  • My husband found out when I was 2 1/2 months pregnant that he had pneumonia.. he had had it for about a week and we didn't know.  The Dr told me to take normal precautions when people are sick like washing my hands, don't drink after him, etc.  She advised me not to sleep in the same bed as him for at least another week after we found he had it and to wash the sheets and pillows. I didn't catch it at all.. I would say to go, put on gloves and ask the hospital if you can wear a mask.  It's not as contagious as people think. Sorry to hear he has pneumonia. That is no fun! Hope he feels better soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes. OK to visit.  You can ask for a mask if you wish, but your best prevention is hand washing.
  • I was told with DD that as long as they have been on antibiotics for 24 hrs they are not contagious. I was around a 2 yr old with Pneumonia and RSV this weekend and I am not concerned. I would be more worried about what else you could catch from someone coughing on you in the elevator or something...lol! Hope he starts to feel better.
  • I'm a nurse on a respiratory floor and most of our patients are in with pneumonia, all year round. If it were contagious, I'd be in trouble! But, it's not. Handwashing should be done regardless, even if you were visiting a healthy new mom and baby!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thank you so much for all of your help!!
  • Pneumonia isn't contagious, just wash your hands to protect against germs. At least you're not in my position, I work in a hospital, I just had to scan (I'm an ultrasound tech) someone with AIDS and TB! I wish I didn't have to, but I'm the only one at work right now, and the exam couldn't wait until morning. Confused
  • I had pneumonia at 37 weeks with DD.  I must admit, I don't know how contagious it is, but speaking from experience (a week of hell in the hospital where they almost took the baby) it wasn't fun.  I would take all precautions necessary.  Good luck!
    We are having Irish Twins!!! Our sweet little girls will be 10.5 months apart! BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"