Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Switching to an orthodontic pacifier

Hello-I am usually a lurker, but am wondering if anyone has had success switching from a soothie to an orthodontic pacifier?  Our pedi suggested that we try switching if we intended to let DD have a pacifier after age 1.  We have periodically tried giving her different orthodontic ones, but she only likes the Soothies (or Gumdrops).  Any suggestions?

Re: Switching to an orthodontic pacifier

• Why don't you just break the pacifier habit all together if you're having trouble with accepting a different one?

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • That's my suggestion. I think breaking the habit before 1 is beneficial for parents. After that they get wayyyyyy too attached.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • AnankeAnanke member
    I agree with pps. Also, I've heard from numerous nurses and dentists that the orthodontic pacis don't really help that much.  They still can cause issues with the teeth.   I say just break it now.  It'll be easier now than when she's 2.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My husband's nephew is 2 1/2 and still uses a pacifier, I totally side eye him/his parents. Sorry, I know that's not what you were looking for. But I think they use NUK
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I hadn't really thought about taking the pacifier away completely.  She only takes it for sleeping and I'm okay with her doing that until she's 2 or 3.  It's a simple thing that she enjoys/comfots her so I don't see a problem with that (I guess unless it is going to mess up her mouth/teeth-so I will have to do more research on that). 

• My LO would only take the soothie also, but when her 2 top teeth started coming in she would not take it and wouldn't  fall asleep without it.  I tried the nuk orthodontic pacifier and she decided she did like it after all.  Like yours, my LO only uses it to fall asleep. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"