Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Patriotism

Re: Patriotism

• Options

imageBrandi Bee:
    Well, sorry!  But I'm laughing.

at what?  A degree in literature, creative writing, or library science?  A career with the ACLU defending the presence of banned books of in the classroom?

BB, your sarcastic tone always made me think you were smart enough to be cynical.  I'm sorry to have misjudged you and to learn that you really don't have much knowledge to contribute on a topic. 

PS: TKaM is categorized as young adult literature!  YWIA.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageBrandi Bee:
    Adolescent books are great.  For adolescents.  And I really think those books seem more appropriate for a teenager to get into.  I felt the same way when Iread Twilight. That was my OP. 

See, I feel like you just keep comparing HP to Twilight. IMO, you really can't compare the two. But my opinion aside, you have actually read Twilight. Therefore, you have every right to say you don't like it. But to say you don't like HP or to compare it to Twilight (or anything else for that matter) when you haven't even read it doesn't hold any ground with me. Read it, or try to, then give an opinion.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imaget watley:
    imageBrandi Bee:

No, not really.

Maybe it is because I really didn't get the HP craze and when the fvcking DH book came out I couldn't go in Borders for weeks it seemed like without being accosted by a bunch of losers dressed like the characters.

I'm not into Harry Potter, but I can acknowledge her mistaking a character for a politician was comical.

But it sounds like you and HP have some pretty serious old beef, so I'm not going to pry.

I have a beef with all of that stuff, I can't stand it.  Mainly because when you admit you aren't interested, some idiot is likely to put a spotlight on you and go on and on about "OMG HOW CAN YOU NOT EVEN READ THE BOOK, HAVE YOU SEEN THE MOVIE, OMG OMG OMG OMG BEST WRITING EVER."   Women are especially annoying with it.

I don't get people who go overboard with stuff like that.

So, even though you've never picked up one of the books, you can't stand HP. All because (obviously) more than one person has recommended it as great reading (albeit enthusiastically).

Yeah, I can totally get behind that logic. /sarcasm 

Cutting off your nose to spite your face is usually a poor plan. Who knows, maybe if you actually gave HP a try, you'd like the books. Oh, but that would ruin your rebellious, don't-tell-me-what-to-read, you-are-all-losers image, wouldn't it? Pity. 

• Options

Thank you from the bottom of my lurking heart whoever on 6-9 recommended coming over here for this thread. 

imageNastyAnnie:

It is my duty to inject my superior literary knowledge, as a grad student, into this thread.

Children's Literature (or, what some scoffing members of our community would refer to as "stuff you find in the tweens section") is some of the most riveting, boundary-pushing, important literature in the English language. Some of the greatest books of all time (ie: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Giver, Bridge to Terebithia, The Chocolate War, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, and many, many more) were written for adolescent audiences. These books are ground breaking. They ask the big questions. They change the thinking and behavior of generations. They remind us of where we came from. They are important.

You may not get the fandom, and that's fine. But to blatantly disregard all of this fantastic literature because its original intent was for adolescent audiences is not intelligent. Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean it isn't worth getting.

And you are awesome. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imagecinema_goddess:
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imagejlthompson19:

We all know MML is not my fav around here, and the equating not knowing who Voldemort is b/c of her lack of policitical interest WAS funny.  But she never said she didn't know who HP was, she didn't know who Volemort was-and that is believable.

But I do beg both you and Brandi to reconsider reading the books.  They're wonderful and I'm not into fantasy/wizardry type stuff.  I prefer classics and mysteries, but these are great books.

And I'm not ashamed to admit I *really* want to go to Hogwarts Castle this fall when we visit Florida for a wedding. 

See?

Why do you need to beg me to read it?  Why can't people accept that not everyone is going to love the books.  I have zero interest.  Even so, my life will be complete.

I'd be more willing to accept this if you'd actually tried reading the books. 

You're fvcking psycho dude.

No, she's logical. Saying you don't like HP without ever having picked up a book is like my SD saying she doesn't like spinach without ever having tasted it. Guess what? She tasted it, & she LOVES it. If she had never tried it, always snubbed her nose at it, she'd have been missing out on something she loves. Would she have known she was missing out? No. Would her life be complete without it? Sure. But now, she gets to enjoy so many more dishes because she tried it & LIKED IT.

I think you're just afraid to like HP, because all the cool kids do.

& I agree with everyone else who said that HP books are not "tween". I started reading them when they first came out, & yes, I was in MS. But by the time the 5th book came out, I was later in HS & it was HEAVY. Anything after the first couple of books is NOT something I'd let my MS child read. No way. 

• Options
    imageJenny SB:

Thank you from the bottom of my lurking heart whoever on 6-9 recommended coming over here for this thread. 

This Yes

• Options
    imageBrandi Bee:

imageSpookster:
    Dang.. push the vein back into your forehead. Your getting all bent sideways over a book. Gooos Fraba!  

I guess I'm coming across more pissed when I'm really just annoyed.  But my point was proven-after I said I don't want to read them, how many times did someone try to convince me I need to read them?

I actually did give the Twilight series a chance, since Anne Rice fiction is pretty much the only fantasy stuff I ever enjoyed.  And it was terrible.  But if I TOLD people that?  OMG.  Women in their 20s everywhere would flip that I'm not creaming my panties over some HS vampire.

The book stuff didn't bother me as much as the "DUDE" comment over not knowing who The Voldemort was and then the HAHAHAHAHAH SHE DOENS'T KNOW WHO HP IS crap, even when it was clear that wasn't what she said at all.

Twilight SUCKS in comparison to HP. Like, not even in the same galaxy, let alone the same ballpark.

In accordance with my earlier analogy, yes, there are people that don't like spinach. You may be dead-set that you don't like spinach, but if you never try it, you'll never know for sure. HeIl, my mom never bought me spinach as a kid, because she was convinced that I would hate it. I LOVE spinach. She never even gave me the opportunity to try it. How sad is that?

You are limiting yourself from so many possibilities (not just HP) by refusing to even look beyond your status quo. I was never a military/action reader, but my husband is - & there are several of his books that I've picked up & really enjoyed. I would have never picked those books for myself, but because I had easy access, I gave 'em the old college try. & surprised myself by really getting into them.

I'm a huge believer in "don't knock it 'til you try it". You, instead, seem fixated on knocking it before even considering trying it. 

• Options
    imageHeather R:

imageBrandi Bee:
    Well, sorry!  But I'm laughing.

at what?  A degree in literature, creative writing, or library science?  A career with the ACLU defending the presence of banned books of in the classroom?

BB, your sarcastic tone always made me think you were smart enough to be cynical.  I'm sorry to have misjudged you and to learn that you really don't have much knowledge to contribute on a topic. 

PS: TKaM is categorized as young adult literature!  YWIA.

I'm also a librarian and I approve this message.
  • Options
    BB you HP hatin' hor. That should be your new rank. ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi, my name is MrsSeli and I'm in love with a woman named NastyAnnie.

And Brandi Bee, I think people are trying to tell you that just because you read "smart people books" doesn't make you smart.  And judging something without reading it first makes absolutely no sense.  I might look at a book and think I won't like it, but if someone (or many, many, many someones) told me it was amazing, I would read it and THEN pass judgement.  I still might not like it, but then again I might love it!

Then again, I own a "Team Neville" t-shirt, so I am but another person to add to your pile of judgement. 

ETA: oh sh!t, sorry.  Neville is a character from Harry Potter.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yeah, I'm another lurker who not only loves this thread but kind of want to make out with annie right now.  Excellent posts.

I just knoooooooow I won't like those books.  Because all the "cooooooolllll" kids like them.  They're just stuuuuuuuupid.  I'm too gooooooood to be mainstream.

Yep, sounds like middle school to me! 

• Options
    imageBrandi Bee:

Why you continue to accuse me of that is what puzzles me. 

"I don't shop in the tween section, it's like trying to hump Justin Bieber, I read Stephen King in middle school because I now read REAL books about Roe v Wade or Mockingbird, reading adolescent books is adolescent," and laughing at a degree in literature/library science are a few of the ways you have tried to assert yourself here. 

• Options

BrandiBee, something tells me you might benefit from some culture, pop or otherwise.

Oh, and pancakes aren't just for breakfast.  Try them at dinner sometime...still awesome.

• Options
    NastyAnnie, will you marry me?
  • Options
    imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    imageyankeebaby2:

lol at now being when everyone's bullshiit meter went off

You have to be hiding under a rock or living in Iowa to not know who HP is. I call booshit.

BOOSHIT.

Iowans for Voldemort resent you for that.   

• Options
    imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    imageyankeebaby2:

lol at now being when everyone's bullshiit meter went off

You have to be hiding under a rock or living in Iowa to not know who HP is. I call booshit.

BOOSHIT.

Iowans for Voldemort resent you for that.   

• Options

Tardy to the Party but I just had to say I PPH this thread. 

FYI:  I teach creative writing at the college level.  I am not a *HUGE* Harry Potter fan, but found it an interesting way to connect with my students.  I don't find it to be hugely ground breaking or particularly well-written, but I find it to be charming and interesting and must've found it to be good enough to read the whole series.  

I think Stephenie Meyer probably deserves much much more of your ire than JK Rowling (although "feet the size of baby dolphins" STILL irks me and if everyone was truly clambering in the book, people spent way too much time standing up in the movie).  

I only share that to make you think "Huh, she's not a character-costume-wearing freak."

It's still a tremendous addition to pop-culture and worth knowing just the bare bones about.  But I didn't really come here to talk to the OP.

I came here to say I am in love with any board that can cover literature and David Lynch in a thread titled "Patriotism".  It makes m squeal with delight.   

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
  • Options
    BB, I love you, I really do, but lol at watching teen mom and thinking Heather Potter is for tweens.  Teen Mom even has it in the title.  
  • Options
    imageyankeebaby2:
    Heather Potter
    Lol, wtf?
  • Options

imageHeather R:
    imageyankeebaby2:
    Heather Potter
    Lol, wtf?

Damn auto correct! I must have had a typo close to heather.   

• Options
    imageKateAggie:

Oh, and pancakes aren't just for breakfast.  Try them at dinner sometime...still awesome.

this is so perfect! Yes

Anniversary Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imageHeather R:
    imageBrandi Bee:
    Like I said before, I was allowed to read whatever I wanted when I was a teenager.  Do you really think a teenager is unaware of any of the things you listed as a reality?  I guess that's an entirely different topic.

EVEN IF Stephen King is widely accepted as a fantasy writer ONLY-I don't even read his books anymore.  I read them-surprise-as a teenager!

The point.

Your head.

The topics I listed are ADOLESCENT BOOKS.  Do they sound like something only for adolescents?
    BB, I assure you, you are neither smarter nor more well read than I am.  Why you are trying to present yourself as such in this thread puzzles me.

Why you continue to accuse me of that is what puzzles me.  I don't know anything about you nor do I even care.

I just think adults who get all giddy over HP are lame.  

You are doing Kentucky no favors sister. Stop.Now.Please. 

• Options
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imageNastyAnnie:

It is my duty to inject my superior literary knowledge, as a grad student, into this thread.

Children's Literature (or, what some scoffing members of our community would refer to as "stuff you find in the tweens section") is some of the most riveting, boundary-pushing, important literature in the English language. Some of the greatest books of all time (ie: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Giver, Bridge to Terebithia, The Chocolate War, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, and many, many more) were written for adolescent audiences. These books are ground breaking. They ask the big questions. They change the thinking and behavior of generations. They remind us of where we came from. They are important.

You may not get the fandom, and that's fine. But to blatantly disregard all of this fantastic literature because its original intent was for adolescent audiences is not intelligent. Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean it isn't worth getting.

I didn't disregard ALL adolescent literature.  I said Harry Potter sucks.  And it definitely doesn't belong in the same category with To Kill A Mockingbird, that's for sure!

I stopped right here in this monstrosity of a thread. You can't judge it because you haven't read it. I can say Twilight sucks because I read it. For what it's worth HP has a lot of the same themes as TKAM like racism, friendship, family, love, and making assumptions about people/things you know nothing about. I usually like you Brandi but in this you are wrong. I don't care if you read it or not but not reading it means you shouldn't judge it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

BB -- Omg. Now I'm just laughing at "the bump people".

I can't help but notice you have over 4,700 posts and 2 years under your belt...

• Options
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imagecinema_goddess:
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imaget watley:
    imageBrandi Bee:

No, not really.

Maybe it is because I really didn't get the HP craze and when the fvcking DH book came out I couldn't go in Borders for weeks it seemed like without being accosted by a bunch of losers dressed like the characters.

I'm not into Harry Potter, but I can acknowledge her mistaking a character for a politician was comical.

But it sounds like you and HP have some pretty serious old beef, so I'm not going to pry.

I have a beef with all of that stuff, I can't stand it.  Mainly because when you admit you aren't interested, some idiot is likely to put a spotlight on you and go on and on about "OMG HOW CAN YOU NOT EVEN READ THE BOOK, HAVE YOU SEEN THE MOVIE, OMG OMG OMG OMG BEST WRITING EVER."   Women are especially annoying with it.

I don't get people who go overboard with stuff like that.

So you're not reading them out of spite?

No.  It just seems like the sort of thing I might have read in MS.  Maybe that is because I was reading Stephen King at that point and my parents didn't care.  But I did refuse to see Titanic because I was tired of hearing about it.

Wow all this has been a very interesting read today! I just wanted to pipe in to say that I am very similar, and I refused to see Titanic as well until about 4 years ago when I had a roommate who owned the movie and I got bored one day and watched it by myself. I have to admit that with the exception of some cheesiness, it was a great movie. I also tried not to like Radiohead (& eventually failed) cos I loved Coldplay and everyone said RH was sooo much better than CP (which technically may be true, but as far as hook is concerned, Coldplay comes out shining) ... Also resisted HP books until the winter I was holed inside and pregnant... I was surprised how good the writing was and how I wanted to transport myself into the castle & hang out with the characters! The movies make me mad because they leave out SO much, but Yeah.... Where was I going with all this? Oh yeah... So if you ever decide to give it a shot and you wind up liking them after all, you will think if me and this crazy out of control post on TB about patriotism and Harry Potter.
  • Options

Indie... I think we need a whole new 8-page post about how you didn't want to like Radiohead. Seriously. Something's not right there. :p

• Options
    imageBrandi Bee:

imagesleepingbeauty825:
    BB you HP hatin' hor. That should be your new rank. ;)

YES!

And to the peeps who replied that I don't read the books because I don't want to like them-I said many times I don't like that sort of book (and no Pet Sematary, The Shining, Needful Things, etc are NOTHING like that shiz, I do know that much).  I said it seems like a teen book because I might have been interested in it THEN.  Not because I think it is a dumb person book.  I didn't laugh at NA's degree.  I laughed at the "I am offended; this is my career" bit, which was pretty over dramatic.

But the Bump people are notorious for exaggerating what you say or taking your meaning to the absolute extreme or just plain taking it out of context!  I don't care; it isn't like I have a reputation to keep around here.

P.S. I don't give a fvck how I make KY look.

How are resurrected, possessed Fluffies or ghosties in the bathtub different from or superior to resurrected, possessed Voldies? How are Danny's visions different from Harry using a wand? BB, they are both about the supernatural. Willing suspension of disbelief. I don't care what you prefer to read and am not anymore trying to sell you on a book that you don't want to read, but you have been talking nonsense and sounding like a tool while doing it.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imageDaisyFull:

BB -- Omg. Now I'm just laughing at "the bump people".

I can't help but notice you have over 4,700 posts and 2 years under your belt...

Ok, I'm genuinely curious.  What do you think I meant by "the bump people"?  Because I'm not sure how my post count ties into that.

I'm not even entirely sure! I mean.. "bump people"? It reads as whoever they are, they are lying in wait to argue about books.  

And yes, I figured these people must have seniority of sorts! 

• Options
    imageDaisyFull:

Indie... I think we need a whole new 8-page post about how you didn't want to like Radiohead. Seriously. Something's not right there. :p

I KNOW right?? I was so offended that anyone would talk trash about my beloved Coldplay that I didn't want to give them a chance. One summer though, my roommate's boyfriend practically lived at our house (he was also a former band-mate of mine) and purposely played ok computer non stop all. summer. long. Needless to say, it is now one of my top favorite albums. I still love me some Coldplay too though.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

imageBrandi Bee:
    Well, it seems like you took that the wrong way!  I wasn't acting like I never post here.  I just post on a few forums and I say "bump people" sometimes because that is what you are. 

I post on a few forums too. I'm an admin on one where we actually get along, right?

You used "bump people" in a derogatory way, insinuating that "we" twist words. Why would that be a trait of a "bump person"?

And don't all off-board users come from the bump anyway? So aren't they the same people? I don't get your remark.

• Options
    imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    imageIndieMum:
    imageDaisyFull:

I KNOW right?? I was so offended that anyone would talk trash about my beloved Coldplay that I didn't want to give them a chance. One summer though, my roommate's boyfriend practically lived at our house (he was also a former band-mate of mine) and purposely played ok computer non stop all. summer. long. Needless to say, it is now one of my top favorite albums. I still love me some Coldplay too though.

I adore Coldplay. I saw them in concert at an outdoor arena a few months before I got pregnant. I was like, 10 feet away from them. They put on one HELL of a show, and Chris Martin's voice sounds as good live as it does on the albums. I danced. I sang. I screamed. I jumped up and down and bashed my leg on a chair.

OK Computer rocks my world. I have to see Radiohead in concert before I kick it.

And Beastie Boys.

I have seen both Radiohead & The Beasties. Both are great shows. The problem is now I think Radiohead only does an LA/Chicago/NYC circuit. But still, totally worth it if you're close to any of those cities (or not!). 

I've never seen Coldplay, and I lurve them too. 

To Indie: I don't think love for Coldplay and Radiohead has to be mutually exclusive. :D

• Options
  • Options
    imageSookieFrackhouse68:

OK, ladies, but the all-important question is:

Ramona, the Pest. WILL YOU PASS THIS BOOK ALONG TO YOUR CHILDREN?

If you are not familiar with Beverly Cleary's Ramona books, I'm going to punch you straight in the cooter.

Sooo read all those books when I was like 8.

ALSO I rented the move that just came out.

CUTE. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"