Babies on the Brain

I nursed with very little pain!

Just on one side though.  The LC said to attempt nursing now that the pain of the mastitis is getting better, but to pump for two minutes first.  I am not sure if the mastitis just desensitized my nipple or if pumping gives him more to latch on to and makes it easier, but it was actually pain free until the end.  Then he started getting lazy and letting his lip slip lower on my nipple.  So I stopped to avoid damaging the nipples that are just now healing.  But he nursed the one side for 15 minutes.

I hope this is the turning point for breast feeding.  I mean come on when is enough enough.  A sleepy, unlatching child.  Then a child who can latch, but has a horrible and lazy latch.  Then bleeding, cracked nipples.  Mastitis in both breasts with a 102.8 fever for 2 days.  I am ready for this to get easier.

Oh and keep your fingers crossed that my supply will pick up.  I have had to supplement a quarter of his bottles with formula since I have been sick.  But the LC said it should get better once the infection is fully cleared up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I nursed with very little pain!

• Man, you can't catch a break can you!??  I hope it gets better for you once this infection is cleared up.  I had that and it was horrible, but only on one side. 

Shhh. don't tell Mom... I peed in her bed

Finley March '07, Elinor March 09

• Wow, you are a trooper!  I hope you are feeling better - I hear mastitis is NASTY. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm glad that you seem to have turned a corner!  

I hope it gets much easier for you from here on out!  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mmkayemmkaye member

imageElieFin:
    Man, you can't catch a break can you!??  I hope it gets better for you once this infection is cleared up.  I had that and it was horrible, but only on one side. 

Glad I am not the only one who feels this way.  It seems like everytime I get a hurdle jumped 18 hurdles chase me down and try to attack me with their little hurdle arms.  LOL 

Mastitis blows completely and I nearly considered quitting because I am afraid I will get it again.  But I am one stubborn woman and I refuse to quit because people keep telling me I should because of all the problems I am having.  And tonight was like a reward.  I seriously felt like taking a pic and sending it to anyone and everyone that I know.  And posting it on here LOL.

• Can I just say how awesome I think you are? 

You are awesome.

Reading your posts has made me flich sometimes because you're just going through so much. I am so impressed that you have stuck with it, and so happy that you are turning a corner!!

Yay!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mmkayemmkaye member
    Aww these replies make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.  LOL  You guys rock!  Trust me when I say the encouragement I get on here has helped me more than you can know.  That and the adorableness that is Kai the few times nursing has worked previously in a milk coma afterward.
  • You can do it! I just recovered from mastitis and while it sucks royally, it's so worth it to keep going. The cracked nipples will heal and your supply WILL pick up, it'll just take a while. I feel like I could've written what you wrote word for word, including the milk coma part. :) It's the best when LO falls away from the nipple content as anything and is just OUT.

Congrats for hanging in there this far! It'll get better!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemmkaye:

imageElieFin:
    Man, you can't catch a break can you!??  I hope it gets better for you once this infection is cleared up.  I had that and it was horrible, but only on one side. 

Glad I am not the only one who feels this way.  It seems like everytime I get a hurdle jumped 18 hurdles chase me down and try to attack me with their little hurdle arms.  LOL 

Mastitis blows completely and I nearly considered quitting because I am afraid I will get it again.  But I am one stubborn woman and I refuse to quit because people keep telling me I should because of all the problems I am having.  And tonight was like a reward.  I seriously felt like taking a pic and sending it to anyone and everyone that I know.  And posting it on here LOL.

It does blow. So so so bad. And I want you to know this - once you get it you are more prone to getting it again. BUT - in my experience, it has been easier each time. I think a big part of that is you know the second it starts so you can start doing everything you can to get rid of it asap.

The first time I had it I didn't know what it was until I had the full blown fever and all. The next time I knew what it was as soon as the pain started and was able to get on top of it immediately. This last time (the fifth time :-S) I got it first thing in the morning and was still able to have friends over that night as if nothing happened.

I don't tell you this to scare you, but to make you aware that while you have a higher chance of getting it again now, you also can get rid of it faster! And I doubt you will get it 5 times, I am not the norm in that case.

• I think around 4w was when it really got better for me. I'm glad you had no pain though, that's awesome!!
    Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"