Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

pedi said no peanut butter until age 2...sounds extreme to me.

when did you give (or plan to give) LO peanut butter?

i need it as a protein option! i'm running out of things he'll actually eat. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: pedi said no peanut butter until age 2...sounds extreme to me.

• Options

We gave it right around a year. The pedi okay everything besides honey at 9 mos, though. It just took me a while before I finally gave it to him!

Do allergies run in your family? 2 years does seem extreme and kind of outdated. 

• Options
    my pedi okayed it at 12 months and we even have peanut allergies in the family.  Addie was fine, I just did a little bit at first.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our pedi gave the ok at nine months.  PB&J is one of our go to foods now that DS is suddenly a picky eater.  If you follow your pedi, what about beans?  We make "baby chili" with turkey burger, tomato paste, cheese, and beans.  It's another big hit. 
  • Options

I feel like we've been giving LO peanut butter for quite some time now--maybe since 15-18 months?  However, LO didn't show any allergy signs prior to that.

Has your LO shown any allergies to anything?

• Options
    DD had PB early spring...so somewhere between 15-17 months. She was fine, but we weren't really worried because no one in our family or her dad's family is allergic to nuts.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

DD still hasn't had it.  Our pediatrician and I discussed it because the recommendations for allergies are changing, but he felt that because DD had a dairy allergy as an infant (that she has outgrown) we should wait until 2 to introduce peanut butter.

We use almond butter instead.  It's really tasty.  Justin's Nut Butter is my favorite brand -- you can buy it at Super Targets.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Options
    DS had it for the first time at 12 months.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yeah I think that sounds silly unless your LO is prone to allergies.  I gave it to DS around 9 months.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Options
    We started with small amounts a little while before his first birthday. I know that some doctors are more concerned with the choking risk (because it's so sticky) than others. Could that be it? As long as you don't give them TONS of p.b. it's not really a problem.
  • Options
    12 months and our pedi said we don't have to restrict anything. We don't have any allergies on either side of the family.
  • Options
    meg1974meg1974 member
    My allergist said the same thing, so that's what we're doing. DD eats lots of cheese and gets her protein from that and meat. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    araevgaraevg member
    We gave DD peanut butter around 10 months. No problems here!
    Ashley & Jeff Married since August 2007 BFP Cycle #16, Clomid 100mg DD #1 born on March 25, 2010 TTC #2 as of May 31, 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our pedi usually recommends around 15 months for peanut butter and strawberries, I think was the second thing. We did strawberries just before 12 months and peanut butter just after 12 months. Peanut butter we spread very thinly on toast so it's not a choking hazard. She hasn't shown any signs of allergies to foods and we have no family history of food allergies so we are pretty comfortable letting her eat almost anything now.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our pedi said 12 months with the girls.  DS has food allergies and tested positive for peanuts and eggs, but our pediatric allergist actually says she recommends waiting until age 3 for any "known allergens" even in kids who have no food allergies and no family history.  That said, DD#1 got it right around a year or maybe a bit after.  DD#2 was even younger b/c she got ahold of one of DD#1's snacks at maybe 9 or 10 months with PB on it and was fine so we figured she wasn't allergic.  Needless to say, we haven't tried it with DS yet.
  • Options
    WE do PB.  I am not sure DD likes it so much though.
  • Options
    all 3 of mine had it prior to 15 months ( i don't remember exactly) but we have no know allergies (in our family)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We started giving it around 13 months...or I should say my MIL started giving it.  I wasn't worried about allergies (no history of allergies), I was worried about choking.  We still put it on toast really thin. 
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We started shortly after a year. Just a tiny bit at first to make sure she was not allergic.
  • Options
    steverstever member

Ours said 3 so we probably won't give him any until then.

eta: We have no allergies in our families and our pedi is generally pretty laid back, but he's conservative on this one thing and we're okay with that.

• Options

Our pedi gave us a handout that said 2 years old. There has been so much conflicting information though, so my DH (a medical doctor) did some research. The current research states that delaying any high allergen food is not necessary and does nothing (assuming no family history of a food allergy). If a child is going to be allergic to peanuts, he's going to be allergic.

As such, the American Academy of Pediatric's policy is not to delay the introduction of foods - here's their article - https://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;121/1/183

Based on this, we gave the girls peanut butter at 15 months.

• Options
    My Pedi is also conservative and has not okd PB and shellfish until 2.  It is a bumber becaue he is picky and I have a feeling he would love PB based on his sweet tooth.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My pedi said 12 months.  A good way to ease into the peanut butter is to put a little dab on their cheek and wait for a few minutes.  If there's any sort of redness or inflammation then that's an indication there might be an issue.  It's better than just letting them ingest it without knowing if they're allergic.
  • Options
    Our pedi told us to wait until three, I think it's a little extreme.  I didn't ask why but I'm guessing because it could be a choking hazard?  IDK.
  • Options
    lynseflynsef member
    That's what our pedi said too, but she accidentally had some peanut butter around the holidays that was baked into some candy.  She did fine with it and neither DH or I have allergies to food so she's been eating it ever since. We needed it as a protein option too, but now she does pretty good with meats as long as you tell her it is chicken no matter what kind of meat it is, lol.
  • Options
    I waited till 12 months....I didn't introduce it to her slowly or any sort thin coat on bread. I just gave it to her and she hasn't had any problems whatsoever.
  • Options

imageValentines Day Baby:
    Our pedi told us to wait until three, I think it's a little extreme.  I didn't ask why but I'm guessing because it could be a choking hazard?  IDK.

Ours said choking hazard too. As someone on here (I forget who) said, "you can't Heimlich out peanut butter." We're also waiting due to family history of allergy though.

• Options
    Sus77Sus77 member

We gave DS peanut butter at 15 months after being told it was ok by the pedi.  It turned out he is allergic to peanuts. It was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. 

DS has since seen a pediatric allergist and he told me that there are so many differnt thoeries about peanut allergies that is impossible to know if we'd waited to give him the peanut butter if he would still have the allergy.

We've since found out he's also allergic to kiwi fruit, but the reaction is not as extreme.

If I had to do it again I would have waited until at least 3 (we ill for our 2nd child when we have one) but I have no idea if it will make a difference.

My tip is have abottle of childrens benadryl in the house before you give them peanut butter for the first time.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Ben's had the occasional sip of almond milk since early on (he would take DD's sippy before I could grab it), and I just gave him some PB a few days ago.  A tiny bit on toast.  No reaction. 

He has some allergies, but I assumed since the almond milk didn't affect him, PB wouldn't either.

My pedi recommends 1 year.

• Options
    LinnyaLinnya member

I'm not sure when we gave DS#1 peanut butter first, but when he got the oils on his skin he got red and had some hives.  Turns out he is not allergic to it, but is sensitive to the oil.  I generally avoid it, though after allergy testing our doc has ok'd giving him small amounts. 

We have been using Sun Butter (from sunflower seeds) instead and it is pretty good, actually.  I'm relieved to have another protein source that won't irritate his skin!

I second the suggestion of having Benadryl on hand before you try peanut butter.  We had to take DS to an emergency clinic when he had his reaction here because we didn't have any.

• Options
    imageQue_Syrah:

imageValentines Day Baby:

Ours said choking hazard too. As someone on here (I forget who) said, "you can't Heimlich out peanut butter." We're also waiting due to family history of allergy though.

If you put it on hot toast though (and only a tiny bit) it melts into such a liquid consistency that I wouldn't worry too much. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    nealblnealbl member
    We gave LO starwberries at 9 months(didn't ask pedi just did it). Pedi said peanut butter ok at 15 months we did it at a year and she did just fine. Gave honey at 11months in a sippy with milk to help with cough.
  • Options
    Have you tried Greek Yogurt for a protein? I get plain and swirl pureed fruit in it. A serving has over 20g of protein. My DS will not eat meat at all. 
  • Options

There is a wide range of opinions within the pediatric community.  My main pedi (group office) said age 3! Another said 18 months. The office's policy is to say OK after 18 months (like honey, and strawberries and tree nuts).

I plan to try it soon (DS is 21 months)--probably at age 2.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

imageDreamsicle23:
    Yeah I think that sounds silly unless your LO is prone to allergies.  I gave it to DS around 9 months.

This.

• Options

Our pediatrician said 2 as well. If he does end up with a serious allergic reaction, I think his body will be better able to handle it and for us to treat if he's older. I'm not thinking that waiting would make a difference in whether he is allergic or not. DH's family has food allergies, but even if he didn't, it's not important enough to me to risk it.

When I asked about protein (DS isn't a meat fan and is lukewarm on fish, but will eat cheese and yogurt all day long), the pedi suggested soybeans/edamame for his age (he will eat beans fairly often, but we haven't tried the soybeans yet).

• Options
    hmdhmd member
    Our pedi says none until 3 for choking and allergy reasons.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I gave DS peanut butter for the first time last week.  1 year.
  • Options
    Our pedi ok'd it at his 12 month appointment. He told us to wait until 15 months for shellfish but we didn't listen anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"