December 2011 Moms
Options

Im a doppler failure

Got my doppler in the mail today and was so excited to use it... yeah, nothin. I definitely heard the placenta but no baby. Boo. Maybe in a few more weeks.

Re: Im a doppler failure

• Options
    During my first pregnancy-I found it-at 12 weeks-after a lot of trying. A lot of trying. So, I bet in a week or two-you'll be able to. I hope so.
    For some reason it took us forever and a day to get and stay pregnant. Cancelled IVF, failed IUI's and a marriage in crisis sandwiched within two years. Now, we've been blessed with two girls and a Christmas Baby is on the way. Not planned but perfect. www.ApronStrings.typepad.com
  • Options
    A friend gave us hers...And I haven't found anything either :/  What does a placenta sound like? All I hear is a lot of whooshing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a failure too. I thought I got it once but it was so faint and I lost it very quickly. I'm going to try again tomorrow.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I haven't used it myself, but I have had the CNM use it twice on me and both times they found the heartbeat (11w and 12w).  Suggestions:

- try just above your pubic hair line, it seems really low but I guess that is where to look!

- the placenta sounds like a steady wind - "wooooooooooooo"

- the baby's heartbeat can be faint and move around.  it sounds like wooosh wooosh wooosh.  You might also hear yours, but yours is a lot slower.

Sometimes you will even hear other noises, like swishes, and that is the little nugget moving or kicking and stuff!  If you push too hard the baby might squiggle away.

Hope this helps!

• Options
    I just ordered mine. We will see how it goes when it gets here. Trying not to get my hopes to high.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Success After Losses. I carry your <3, I carry it in my <3.</br>
  • Options

Don't worry, I think 9 weeks is early for most people. I got my doppler right at the beginning of 10 weeks and wasn't able to hear anything until today, at 11 wks 1 day... and that was after 20+ minutes of searching! I thought I was a complete doppler failure too, but thankfully it just took me a little more time than others on this board.

Oh, and it might be worth mentioning that I never did find it myself - my husband had to do it for me. It was fairly low and he had to push kind of hard (it hurts a little in that spot, actually, but totally worth it.) 

ETA: I like this Youtube video, which shows artery noise, mom's heartbeat, and baby's heartbeat (around 3:56) 

https://youtu.be/hHJKPV6p-Ao
    BFP #1: EDD 8/29/11, MMC 1/14/11. BFP #2: Damien Isaac born 12/16/11. BFP #3: Rowen Cole born 7/28/14. BFP #4: EDD 9/16/16.

Anniversary

baby blog

• Options
    Also make sure you lay totally flat. Even my MW couldn't find it until I was flat on my back.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Options
    always start really really low your uterus is still behind your pubic bone untill 11 weeks so start low and aim the wand down and be patient it can be tricky to find the LO is soooo tiny so the heart is extremely tiny..but once you find it it will be easier the next time!
  • Options
    We tired this at my last Dr. appt., I was just past 12 weeks, but not able to hear anything.  I have a tilted uterus so that's most likely the problem for me.
  • Options
    chrlyrchrlyr member
    As PPs have said, you're pretty early, so please don't freak out about it. It does take some practice. I had to hunt around for the HB for a long time before I actually found it, and that was at almost 13 weeks.
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Ive found ours several times but it still takes a long time each time to find it. The only times I can find it are when I have a full bladder and when Im looking higher than others suggest. Mine is always much higher than my pelvic bone (that's the only place I was looking at first). Mine is about right in the middle of my belly button and my hair line and is always to one side or the other. Rarely in the middle.

I always make sure I find the placenta first (the wind sound) and then search from there. It helps to focus the area a bit because if you get too far youll hear the placenta again and need to go back some. I kept getting confused by the wooshwoosh sound at first that turned out to be my pulse. The babies heart beat actually sounds like my dog panting really fast if that makes since.

HTH! Keep trying every few days. Youll find it soon! I know it's hard not to worry in the mean time though:( GL!

• Options

With my first, we only found it once.  I stopped trying b/c it just got frustrating.  I'm not even going to attempt it with this one.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's still really early to use a doppler.  My doctor won't even bother until 12 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"