Parenting
Options

If you have a boy

If you have one or more boys what age are they and is it a struggle every night to get them to go to bed?  DS #1 never goes down easily (he did when he was younger).  DH was trying to tell me that we have boys and they will never go to bed easily because they want to stay up and play etc (basically he was telling me, its a boy thing, get used to it).
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you have a boy

• Options
    Sorry.  I don't have any advice.  I just had to say that I thought this post was about a video game.   That's all.
  • Options
    YodajoYodajo member
    I think some things are boy things, but this isn't one of them, IMO.
    DS1 10-06 and DS2 9-08 and baby #3 EDD 9-05-12
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    YodajoYodajo member

image*Lu-Lu*:
    Sorry.  I don't have any advice.  I just had to say that I thought this post was about a video game.   That's all.

Love!

DS1 10-06 and DS2 9-08 and baby #3 EDD 9-05-12
    imageimage
  • Options

My ds goes to bed very easily. He's usually sound asleep within 1-2 minutes of putting his head on the pillow!

My dd, on the other hand, whew. She's the late-night party girl of the household. 

• Options
    And, yeah.  I think your husband is smoking crack.   This has nothing to do with gender. 
  • Options
    Two boys who are at the moment are easy to put down. They both sucked at sleeping as infants and DS1 went through a difficult phase around 2.5.
  • Options

I have a DS, and I put off putting him in a toddler bed or twin bed until almost three because I was not ready for the fifty times of putting him back in the room each night if he got up.

We have never had to do that though, he knows it's bedtime and there is no fighting about it. He goes willingly.  Sometimes we read a book, sometimes we don't have time, but it's not usually a struggle.  I know that's not what you wanted to hear.  I wish I knew how we got so lucky. 

• Options
    We waited till he was almost 2.5 to move him out of his crib.  It went surprisingly well.  He used to never want us to lay down and would go right to sleep.  Now he throws a fit when its bed time, has to have us lay with him and has to watch a video (I know this isnt a great idea but its the only thing saving our sanity right now)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DS1 goes to be easily IF he didn't nap.  If so, he can be a tool.

DS2 always goes to bed easily.

DD takes a while to go to bed but she is really good at entertaining herself quietly.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ian has always gone down fine, for the most part.  When we moved him to his "big boy bed" around 3, he went through a phase of wanting us to come in over and over, whining etc.  Finally what worked was telling him that we had to go do some work downstairs and we couldn't come up anymore.  (Not sure why this worked).

Max's sleeping SUCKED until he turned one.  Then he decided ok, time to STTN.  We had to rock him w/a bottle until 18m at which point he decided he was too big for that and ever since has gone down fine.  However - he's still in a crib so check back with me once we move him... 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersimageimage
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else.  It seems to have a lot more to do with the kids and his/her personality than their gender.  DD#1 and DS were always good nappers as babies and STTN relatively easily.  DS still takes a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoons and I love love love it.  DD#1 is so like me.  She'll take forever to fall asleep (as does DS sometimes) but she plays quietly and is happy enough.  Now DD#2 was an awful napper.  It was a good day if I got a whole 45 minutes out of her.  Now she sleeps pretty well at night as long as she doesn't take a nap, but if she lays down even for 20-30 minutes, she's up all night long.  Unlike DD#1, she doesn't entertain herself playing quietly and "reading" books.  She's up and down and up and down and up and down.  Now once DD#2 falls asleep, though, she's out cold and never moves.  DD#1 and DS are all over their beds all night long and DD#1 even still wakes up when we go tuck her at 11pm or whenever and sometimes DS does.  Each kid is different and it seems to just depend on them and their sleep habits not their gender.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a boy thing?!  But anyway, we have two boys, they are 4 and 2, and at the moment the 2 year old is extremely difficult at bedtime.  He gets out over and over, and will not stay in his bed.  We usually put them to bed around 8:30, and he probably didn't settle down for good until 10pm tonight.  I would be more inclined to think it's an age-thing, rather than gender, and may get better if you respond consistently to it as they grow out of it (ie. while I completely understand letting them watch a video or something to get them to fall asleep, I'd really hate to go down that path and have to break that habit later, or let it continue forever, KWIM?).  Our 4 year old is much easier to put to bed, and he did go through a rough patch around 2 as well. 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Options
    I have 2 boys and while they are never happy to go to bed, they don't put up much of a struggle. My oldest always says he wants to stay up late but on the rare occasions we let him he's out by the time his normal bedtime would roll around anyway. They're pretty easy over all, much different from when they were infants! DS #1 didn't sleep consistently overnight until he was 18 mo. old!
    -Sarah, Ryan 10.26.05 & Caleb 5.2.07 image
  • Options

I have three boys, and they've all gone through phases of being easy or difficult to get to bed.  My older two had it down sometime before they turned two.  My youngest just turned two, and he does resist bedtime, but it's getting better.  These days, we only have issues with the older two when they're having a sleepover with their cousins.  And it's usually my niece who stirs the pot in that situation.

I don't think this is a gender issue. 

• Options

DS1 used to go to bed without any issues...until we moved him out of his crib to a twin when he was 3.  For an entire year we dealt with him getting up a bijillion times a night.  It was a living nightmare.  Probably the worst year ever.  Then we sat down and made a sticker chart.  I told him when he got 7 stickers he would get something that he's been wanting (a transformer at the time).  It was like magic.  We did sticker charts for a few months (he'd lose a sticker if he got out of bed) and now we don't even do them anymore.  He just goes to bed.  He may get up once in a while after putting him to bed but it's a rarity. 

DS2 goes to bed without any issues (naps are a whole other story).  I'm hoping that the sticker charts will work on him as well when the time comes!

Liam is 5!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Three boys here, and they've all gone thought their bedtime phases, they know the drill now (well, the 3.5 and 5 y/o) and bedtime is a cinch. Not a gender thing, IMO. Stick to your guns and they'll get with the program.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic March 2006 * January 2008 * April 2010
  • Options
    imageCleoKitty:

My ds goes to bed very easily. He's usually sound asleep within 1-2 minutes of putting his head on the pillow!

My dd, on the other hand, whew. She's the late-night party girl of the household. 

This exactly.  DS did go through a phase where he used every delay tactic in the book, but he is out of that now.

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"