January 2012 Moms
Options

Who to tell & When?

I am 8 weeks had my first u/s lst thursday so far so good-told parents siblings and inlaws next appt. isnt till June 23 do I wait till then? I have several family functions before and ppl are noticing I am not drinking booze or coffe and are begining to ask :/  this is my first pregnancy I would love to be optimistic but as many of you are aware things can go bad quickly early on.

Thoughts suggestions?

Re: Who to tell & When?

• Options
    alm8303alm8303 member
    I think you have to do what is right for you. Some people wait and some people don't. We only told our parents and siblings and are keeping it a secret from anyone else. I know that we are still early in our pregnancy, but those are the people I would turn to if something did go wrong.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think it is a very personal decision. We are personally not telling our immediate family until around 10 weeks and everyone else after 12 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    like PP, it's really a personal decision you have to be comfortable with.  We are only telling people that we would tell if something went wrong, very close friends and family. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It's definitely a personal decision.

For me, we told at 6 wks.  It's our first, and I am always afraid of everything.  I see so many ppl on here wait until 2nd tri & all, but for me, getting over the fear of a ms is a big thing, and I did that by telling people.  I fully know that it can still happen, but telling ppl allowed me to not dwell on it.  And if something happens, I'm confident I can share that, too.  Although not my own, I've dealt with the loss of an infant niece and several others & feel comfortable talking about it.  With our family 8 hours away, I knew I would want support close by as well.

So think through it for yourself & talk it over with your SO and figure out what's right for you. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Again, it is a personal decision.  Everyone is different.  We told our parents and siblings around 5 weeks.  Now that I've had my first ultrasound and everything looks good, I'm planning to tell a couple of close friends.  We won't be completely public until 12 weeks (as long as my bloat bump doesn't give me away first!).  I know if I had a miscarriage, I'd want my parents and sisters' support so I decided to go ahead and tell them right away.

Also, my doctor told me yesterday after the ultrasound that since the baby is developing and we've seen the heartbeat, the risk of miscarriage is down to below 5%.  This gave me a little extra confidence that it's okay to share our happy news.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"