Pregnant after a Loss
Options

I am going to freak out on my PCP

Ever since I got pregnant, my thyroid has been all over the place. It was high so my RE put me on Synthroid (75). Before he release me, he checked again and it had gotten too low so he lowered the dose to 50. He told me to follow up on it with my OB. My OB tested it and it was still too low but she told me to see my PCP about it. I called my PCP and told her that no one was dealing with my thyroid issues anymore and asked if she could tell me how to adjust my dose. After two phone calls, she finally called me back and said she wanted me to do b/w with her first. She told me to stop taking the Synthroid until the results came back. In the meantime, I saw my OB and she said it's not that bad if you're taking too much but it's really not good if you stop taking it when you need it. I did that b/w with her 12 days ago. After 3 phone calls, she finally called me back and left me a message that my thyroid is indeed too high but I need to call her back tomorrow because: 1. I am seeing an endocrinologist about it (no I'm not... I was seeing an RE that I'm not seeing anymore, which I told her three times), and 2. She doesn't know what dose I'm on (I told her that four times AND wrote it on my paperwork when I saw her a couple of weeks ago). She told me not to take the Synthroid tomorrow and that she would write me a script for the new dose after talking to me. So that's 2 weeks off a medicine that I need to be on because she couldn't get back to me with results and she told me to stop taking it when I shouldn't have. She is really nice and very thorough with testing, but this is unacceptable. High thyroid levels affect brain development. If my the development of my babies was compromised by her negligence, I am going to freak the eff out on her. 

m/c 7/17/10
Dx: MFI- 3% morph
IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Re: I am going to freak out on my PCP

• Options
    I am so sorry.  I would be so frustrated too!  I hope everything gets straightened out for you soon.  ((hugs))
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jen629jen629 member
    Wow so unbelieveable I hope you get it resolved soon {{HUGS}}
    Hold On ....Michael Buble
    MTHFR 2 copies of C677t mutation homozygous 2/2010
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby A born via c-section 1/10/12 @38w3d
    BFP #1 11/4/09 m/c 4w3d baby crab
    BFP #2 12/4/09 m/c 9w3d baby lion
    BFP #3 7/1/10 m/c 4w1d baby fish
    BFP #4 5/8/11
    BFP #5 8/17/12 10dpo beta 7
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry, how frustrating! Why doesn't your ob handle the thyroid issue? I've had a few non pregnancy problems and my ob handled it himself. I felt much better dealing with my ob since they are more knowledgeable about it during pregnancy.

I hope it gets straightened out soon! ((hugs)) 

• Options
    I'm sorry.  That is really frustrating.  I hope she gets it together soon and all is fine.
    7 mm/c
    APS, hetero factor v leiden & MTHFR
    bfp #1 - 12.11.07, edd 8.14.08, mm/c 1.21.08 (10w4d)
    bfp #2 - 4.4.08, edd 12.3.08, mm/c 5.14.08 (11w)
    bfp #3 - 8.3.08, edd 4.15.09, mm/c 9.17.08 (10w)
    bfp #4 - 1.15.09, edd 9.26.09, mm/c 2.16.09 (8w2d)
    bfp #5 - 6.16.09, edd 2.25.10, mm/c 7.23.09 (9w)
    bfp #6 - 8.12.10, edd 4.27.11, mm/c 9.16.10 (8w1d)
    one more try -> bfp #7 - 2.11, our miracle baby boy arrived 10.11
    ttc again -> bfp #8 - 5.3.13, edd 1.13.14, mm/c 5.30.13 (7w3d)
    bfp #9 - 9.23.13, our miracle baby girl arrived 5.29.14

• Options
    imagehopefulelise:

I'm sorry, how frustrating! Why doesn't your ob handle the thyroid issue? I've had a few non pregnancy problems and my ob handled it himself. I felt much better dealing with my ob since they are more knowledgeable about it during pregnancy.

I hope it gets straightened out soon! ((hugs)) 

She said it's not an obstetric issue so I need to see my PCP about it. It actually is an obstetric issue for me though because my thyroid problems are due to my pregnancy. 

m/c 7/17/10

BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Options
    I kind of want to hit everyone but your RE for you.  Like with a Mack truck kind of hit.
    BFP #1 - Twin B lost at 5w
    Bryce Addison  I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    Our baby boy was born sleeping on 9.17.10. He was 19w1d.
    BFP #2 - Twin B lost at 4w
    Twin A
    BFP #3 - Lost at 5w
    BFP #4 - Lost at 4w
    BFP #5

• Options
    Unfortunately, I can relate really well to this so I know how frustrating it is. Can you see a regular endo?? The one I saw reassured me that my numbers would have to be way out of range for a lot of time to have anything effect the baby. Sending you hugs, it's so frustrating when the "professionals" involved ignore us!!
  • Options
    That is very frustrating. I hope you get it figured out soon.
  • Options
    I'd be on that doctor like white on rice!! Which it seems like you already are! Call her up and remind her about that oath she took!! I vote you go ahead and freak the eff out on her! I'll help!
  • Options

imagervandiver0705:
    I kind of want to hit everyone but your RE for you.  Like with a Mack truck kind of hit.

This! I hope it all gets worked out!

January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • Options
    That seems a bit ridiculous that she cannot even read her own notes.  I hate when doctors cannot take the time to know what is going on.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers IVF #1 BFP Beta #1 528 & Beta #2 1514
  • Options
    Wow that sounds so frustrating I hope that everything gets figured out quickly and in a more timely manner.
  • Options
    That's super frustrating. You might be better off seeing an endocrinologist if your PCP isn't used to managing it. GL!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options

imagebananarama91:
    Unfortunately, I can relate really well to this so I know how frustrating it is. Can you see a regular endo?? The one I saw reassured me that my numbers would have to be way out of range for a lot of time to have anything effect the baby. Sending you hugs, it's so frustrating when the "professionals" involved ignore us!!

I guess I'm going to look into that. I didn't think a regular one would see me since my thyroid was normal before I got pregnant and no one mentioned one. Thank you for passing that info along... it makes me feel better. 

m/c 7/17/10

BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      

• Options

imagehaziedaze:
    That's super frustrating. You might be better off seeing an endocrinologist if your PCP isn't used to managing it. GL!

Ditto!  Most PCPs aren't knowledgeable enough to handle regular thyroid issues, let alone pregnancy thyroid issues.   Go to an endocrinologist as fast as you can!!!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options
    I'm so sorry.  I would be absolutely livid.  I hope that you are able to speak with her tomorrow and get your meds straightened out.  More importantly, I hope your LOs are just fine. 
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • Options
    imageColleenS629:

imagebananarama91:

I guess I'm going to look into that. I didn't think a regular one would see me since my thyroid was normal before I got pregnant and no one mentioned one. Thank you for passing that info along... it makes me feel better. 

I definitely agree with Bananarama, your best bet is an endo. It is actually amazing how little PCP and OBs know about thyroid issues when they are so prevalant (and harmful) when pregnant. Even if you get your PCP on board, she will likely be using the outdated pre-2002 recommendations to evaulate your numbers since most dr.'s and labs are.  The only one who will be up to date with the recommendations (usually a TSH below 2.5 for pregnancy) will be an endo. GL.

9.20.10 Natural M/C
  • Options

imageDoingItRight:
    That seems a bit ridiculous that she cannot even read her own notes.  I hate when doctors cannot take the time to know what is going on.

Yes! ITA. So sorry this is happening to you. Maybe you should see an endo so you can get the attention you deserve.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"