Multiples
Options

If you have/had bumpers in LO's crib....

how long did you keep them in?  Ever since the tragedy with Owen, I find myself checking on LO's a lot more often.....even though I know they are 'technically' past the main stage for SIDS.  However, DD loves to stand on hers, and both like to use them to nuzzle their heads against.  They never smash their faces into them where they can't breathe, but every so often they are closer than I like them to be, and I go in and move them.  So, I'm thinking it's time to take them out.  I know I won't like how bare the cribs will look, but their safety and my peace of mind is certainly more important. 

Just curious how old your LO's were if/when you took them out.  

TTC #1 since 6/07, Dx = Ovulatory dysfunction, DOR, and autoimmune issues ~ 4 Clomid cycles, 1 Femara Cycle, 6 Injectible IUI cycles~ 4 Chemical PG's ~ IVF #1 Dec '09 = BFP!! Beta 8dp3dt = 68 10dp3dt = 276 16dp3dt = 1511 ~ First U/S 1/14 = 3 Heartbeats!!! Lost Baby C at 8w5d Emergency Cerclage at 22wks saved our babies lives Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: If you have/had bumpers in LO's crib....

• Options
    I didn't read the original posts...but did they find him smooshed against his bumpers? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I've had bumpers along the ends and one side since day one. They are a thin foam that collapses easily so they gain nothing by standing on them, they use them more for resting their head. That being said, I have never been a fan of the huge one piece bumper, I see no longevity use with it since they typically are used as a boost to get out of the crib. If you are worried, take them out. 

Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have the breathable bumpers
    Spontaneous ID Twin Girls - born 38w 2d Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagegoogle123:
    I didn't read the original posts...but did they find him smooshed against his bumpers? 

No, I don't think so....he had just rolled over on his tummy when they found him.  It just made me worry more about having bumpers.

TTC #1 since 6/07, Dx = Ovulatory dysfunction, DOR, and autoimmune issues ~ 4 Clomid cycles, 1 Femara Cycle, 6 Injectible IUI cycles~ 4 Chemical PG's ~ IVF #1 Dec '09 = BFP!! Beta 8dp3dt = 68 10dp3dt = 276 16dp3dt = 1511 ~ First U/S 1/14 = 3 Heartbeats!!! Lost Baby C at 8w5d Emergency Cerclage at 22wks saved our babies lives Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have the breathable bumpers.

What's concerning to me about your post is that your DD is using them to stand up on. That's dangerous as well. It's so easy for her to use it to climb out the crib and fall.

Safety always beats style and fashion in our house.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • Options
    We have bumpers. When I've taken them off the crib (to wash) lately I've noticed that DD is turning and getting her legs caught through the bars of her crib. For that reason alone they are worth leaving on for me.
  • Options
    I would definately try the breathable bumpers if you're concerned.  They collapse if any weight are put on them and they pose less of a suffocation risk while ensuring that arms and legs don't get caught in the crib rails.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagenikinikinine:
    We have bumpers. When I've taken them off the crib (to wash) lately I've noticed that DD is turning and getting her legs caught through the bars of her crib. For that reason alone they are worth leaving on for me.

This - we put them on when Harry started scooting around in his sleep.  He's a big mover in his sleep :)  For us, it was him bashing his head all night weighed against the SIDS risk. 

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

we have breathables as well & actually only on one side of the crib (I used one full set on 2 cribs) and originally used it to prevent the pacis from falling out & falling between the cribs when they shared a room. I left them in but they don't really do anything anymore so I should just take them out. I definitely felt better w/ those over regular ones. I have a friend whose son climbed out of the crib using bumpers & once she took it out, he hasn't done it since.

GL! 

• Options
    imageIAM4UK:

We have the breathable bumpers.

What's concerning to me about your post is that your DD is using them to stand up on. That's dangerous as well. It's so easy for her to use it to climb out the crib and fall.

Safety always beats style and fashion in our house.

I should add that their cribs are both already on the lowest of 3 settings and have been since they could sit up.  The bumpers are very soft and collapse under her weight, and she can barely even touch the top rail, much less climb over it.   I would have taken them out a long time ago, had I thought they created a hazard of that sort.

• Options
    MrsLntMrsLnt member
    imageOrangeSmoke:

imagenikinikinine:

This - we put them on when Harry started scooting around in his sleep.  He's a big mover in his sleep :)  For us, it was him bashing his head all night weighed against the SIDS risk. 

Us, too.  Both of ours like to sleep with their heads against the bumpers.  It makes me nervous but I have the AngelCare monitors as a compromise.  

They are, however, starting to pull at them and as soon as someone tries to use it as a step, it's gone.  

• Options
    We took the bumpers out when my LO's were moved from our room to theirs. It has only been maybe three times we found their legs hanging out the slats. They never knew the difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"