Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Is this racist?

2»

Re: Is this racist?

• imagecinema_goddess:
    imageSweeti7307:
    imageyankeebaby2:

And no one would take it seriously because white don't suffer institutional racism.  I don't see what;'s so hard to understand about that.  If you suffer an isolated incident of bias, prejudice or discrimination ypu just go home and it's okay.

But minorities  are constantly being assaulted in the media.  Three different incidents have already been linked here.  can you link a "racist" white ad?  

Playing devil's advocate, but what about ads depicting "white trash"? And what about college institutions that only allow a specific race (non white). Wouldn't that be discrimination based on a race by an institution?  In essence, institutional racism?

I can see that more as a class issue not a racial issue.  "White Trash" are usually distiguished as being of a poorer class, not a different race.

But it poorly depicts white people specifically right? Even the terms seems racist. I have never heard of Latino trash, or Asian trash.

Me: 31   DH: 34
    Married: 5/12/07
    DD: 7/28/10
    TTC#2: 10/2014

• imagecinema_goddess:
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imagecinema_goddess:
    imageyankeebaby2:

And no one would take it seriously because white don't suffer institutional racism.  I don't see what;'s so hard to understand about that.  If you suffer an isolated incident of bias, prejudice or discrimination ypu just go home and it's okay.

But minorities  are constantly being assaulted in the media.  Three different incidents have already been linked here.  can you link a "racist" white ad?  

But would you concede that white people are the victims of racism, even if it's not institutional?

No, it wouldn't be racist because the power structure is framed as such that whites have all the power.

I love that you worked in walla (my personal favorite) but not getting seated at an asian restaurant as a result of your color is discriminatory not racist.   

How do you figure? They based their discrimination on my skin color, which designates my race.  How exactly is that not racist?

Racism = prejudice + power

without power there can't exist systemic racism 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • How is a scholarship racist?  After all I don't play baseball so how would I get a baseball scholarship? Either you qualify for a scholarship or you don't.  

• imageyankeebaby2:
    imagecinema_goddess:
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imagecinema_goddess:
    imageyankeebaby2:

But would you concede that white people are the victims of racism, even if it's not institutional?

No, it wouldn't be racist because the power structure is framed as such that whites have all the power.

I love that you worked in walla (my personal favorite) but not getting seated at an asian restaurant as a result of your color is discriminatory not racist.   

How do you figure? They based their discrimination on my skin color, which designates my race.  How exactly is that not racist?

Racism = prejudice + power

without power there can't exist systemic racism 

But power doesn't have to equal "political power in the grand scheme of things".  The owners of the restaurant were prejudiced and held the power to keep us from dining there.

Systemic racism isn't the only kind of racism.  Institutional racism isn't the only kind of racism.  Racism can happen on a case-by-case basis. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imageyankeebaby2:

How is a scholarship racist?  After all I don't play baseball so how would I get a baseball scholarship? Either you qualify for a scholarship or you don't.  

I believe she was referring to race based scholarships.

Married my best friend 5.8.04 ~ Welcomed Liam 8.30.10 Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point. - C. S. Lewis <a href="http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr301/mesassa/?action=view
  • sweeti it's already implied we are poor when it's about hispanics.  I agree that it's a class issue.  The trailer park barefoot mountain dew drinking family is being ridiculed because they are poor.  

CG, you not being seated at a restaurant is not racist.  It's a private establishment and can refuse the right to serve anyone.  

When whites have been oppressed or marginalized then I would see them as victims of racism but  when we are discriminated against it costs us a job or a bank loan or a car loan, not a seat at an asian restaurant.

Speaking od sizeism how come on Bridesmaids they always have the bridesmaid that weighs the most in a  different dress than everyone else?   

• imageMelD1281:
    imageyankeebaby2:

How is a scholarship racist?  After all I don't play baseball so how would I get a baseball scholarship? Either you qualify for a scholarship or you don't.  

yes, I get that but if I applied for an asian scholarship paid for a an asian organization I would not qualify.  Ergo, I don't meet the requirements.   

• imagecinema_goddess:

This is exactly why I said what I did about white people and race.  If something happens to a white person that is blatently racist, it's swept under the rug and given the appelation of "discriminatory", not racist.  I was being judged on the basis of my skin color. 

And no, I don't have anything more "official".  I don't pay attention to that in advertising. 

Now if you want to talk about sizeism or sexism in advertising, I'm your woman. 

but how was that blatantly racist? you weren't served and you assume it was because you weren't asian. but what if you just looked like a cheapskate?

i used to wait tables and it was generally known that black women were terrible tippers. however, service people tended to be generous. now, this was waiter lore at the restaurant, but if it was objectively true, would it still be racist to not want to serve the black bachelorette party in favor of the black ups drivers?

• imageyankeebaby2:

sweeti it's already implied we are poor when it's about hispanics.  I agree that it's a class issue.  The trailer park barefoot mountain dew drinking family is being ridiculed because they are poor.  

CG, you not being seated at a restaurant is not racist.  It's a private establishment and can refuse the right to serve anyone.  

When whites have been oppressed or marginalized then I would see them as victims of racism but  when we are discriminated against it costs us a job or a bank loan or a car loan, not a seat at an asian restaurant.

Speaking od sizeism how come on Bridesmaids they always have the bridesmaid that weighs the most in a  different dress than everyone else?   

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, then, yankee.  I believe that racism does exist amongst all races and against all races.  It may not be systemic or prevent me from getting a car loan or whatever, but it is there.  I believe that blacks can be racists against asians, asians against blacks, etc. and so forth.  

I have no idea because I don't watch Bridesmaids, but it irritates me to no end when they have the "plus sized" episode of Say Yes to the Dress and they make the poor girls squeeeeeeze into these halter top/mermaid style dresses. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imagebstrangely:
    imagecinema_goddess:

This is exactly why I said what I did about white people and race.  If something happens to a white person that is blatently racist, it's swept under the rug and given the appelation of "discriminatory", not racist.  I was being judged on the basis of my skin color. 

And no, I don't have anything more "official".  I don't pay attention to that in advertising. 

Now if you want to talk about sizeism or sexism in advertising, I'm your woman. 

but how was that blatantly racist? you weren't served and you assume it was because you weren't asian. but what if you just looked like a cheapskate?

i used to wait tables and it was generally known that black women were terrible tippers. however, service people tended to be generous. now, this was waiter lore at the restaurant, but if it was objectively true, would it still be racist to not want to serve the black bachelorette party in favor of the black ups drivers?

Yes. 

ETA - to your first point.  I wouldn't have cared that much about it or thought about it if the family hadn't come in right after and been seated immediately. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageyankeebaby2:
    imageMelD1281:
    imageyankeebaby2:

yes, I get that but if I applied for an asian scholarship paid for a an asian organization I would not qualify.  Ergo, I don't meet the requirements.   

Yup, but some would argue that's racist since you can't control your race.

Can we get back to how the ad itself is actually racist?

Married my best friend 5.8.04 ~ Welcomed Liam 8.30.10 Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point. - C. S. Lewis <a href="http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr301/mesassa/?action=view
  • imageyankeebaby2:

sweeti it's already implied we are poor when it's about hispanics.  I agree that it's a class issue.  The trailer park barefoot mountain dew drinking family is being ridiculed because they are poor.  

Does this actually happen outside of Alabama?  I'm not trying to be snarky, it just seems like the federal govt and most states have all kinds of policies and bureaus in place to prevent that kind of thing.  I totally buy your argument for 1960, but I feel like we've come a long way except for the few whackjobs who still prance around in white hoods.

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• As a waitress, I categorized people based on their attitude walking in the door.  

I worked in a centralish location with a bunch of different type ethnicities.  

My BFF is an awesome chick with an attitude.  She happens to have a baby that isn't white.  Once, some random chick was all, "she won't even give me my money because she white."  I watched that happen.  

She tossed the money on the table and walked away.

I was so upset for her. 

I walked away.

What else do you want? 

Shot first, questions later.
  • When I worked at Disneyland a guy came up to me asked if I spoke Spanish, I told him not well and tried to help with what I learned in 4 years of high school Spanish. He laughed at me and in perfect English told me I'm too white to speaking Spanish. Was that a racist comment? I felt so. In high school a girl who was not white told me I fit the white mold perfectly. Did she say so in a positive manner? Heck no! Would Yankee kick my butt if I told her she fit the Hispanic mold? After she was done calling me a racist and linking my post elsewhere, probably would. Wink
  • imageALG29:
    When I worked at Disneyland a guy came up to me asked if I spoke Spanish, I told him not well and tried to help with what I learned in 4 years of high school Spanish. He laughed at me and in perfect English told me I'm too white to speaking Spanish. Was that a racist comment? I felt so. In high school a girl who was not white told me I fit the white mold perfectly. Did she say so in a positive manner? Heck no! Would Yankee kick my butt if I told her she fit the Hispanic mold? After she was done calling me a racist and linking my post elsewhere, probably would. Wink
    i think we've established that racism against whites is not particularly meaningful or common, even if it is hurtful. even though i think things have improved a great deal, there are still some disturbing and recent stories that show there is still racism against minorities. like, bigger than the dove ad and chocolate bars that look like models and whatnot. i'm amazed that *** like this still happens.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/feb/28/sherrod-racism-still-ails-south/?partner=RSS

https://articles.philly.com/2011-05-30/news/29599080_1_black-women-human-skulls-racism

we're not the only ones discussing this though. the comments on this article turn toward this subject as well.

https://www.theroot.com/buzz/white-people-face-worst-racism?wpisrc=obinsite

• so a white person being refused a seat in a restaurant is ok b/c restaurants can refuse service to anyone?

but if a non-white person was refused a seat i am 1000% certain that it would be considered racist and the whole "they can refuse service to anyone" bs would never even be mentioned as an argument.

makes TOTAL sense.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMasonismylove:
    They shouldn't have used her name without her consent.

This.  I don't think it is racist, but if she wasn't such a known b!tch then they wouldn't have used her name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"