Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

What's happening to my good sleeper (15 months)

For DS's whole little life I have been able to simply set him in his crib and walk out. Most nights he goes right to sleep. Some he goofs off for 10 minutes r so, but then just settles himself down and goes to sleep. I know I have been VERY lucky.

For the last week he whines/cries for 20-40 minutes after I leave. If I go in a pick him up it stops but then I cannot put him down without starting the process over again!!

I let him cry it out for 45 minutes the other night and it about killed me.

Do you think this is a phase?!?

Re: What's happening to my good sleeper (15 months)

• Options
    It could be separation anxiety. Does he show signs during the day?
  • Options
    pdxjennpdxjenn member
    He has become super clingly/snuggly. More days than not he gets upset when we drop off at daycare too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I bet it's part of the separation anxiety thing. I was just reading how this can peak around 14-15 months and is often more severe in boys. Does he sleep well once he goes down? If so, he's probably just worried about what he's missing out on! I think it will pass soon, and while it sucks, letting him cry might be the best bet. When Baron won't go down, we usually come back into his room in 10-15 minute intervals, lay him back down if he isn't, talk to him for a second, and then leave. If you have a kid that will let you, you can put a chair in his room and sit in it so he knows you're there, and then slowly move it further and further back until you don't have to sit with him any longer. He might be too young/not go for that, I know Baron would freak if we sat in his room like that.

It's not teeth, right?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD went through it, she just started STTN again, she's just 17 months, I don't know what happened around 15 months, seperation anxiety, molars, I was so happy when that phase was over! Good luck mamma!
    Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MsAlyssMsAlyss member

We're going through the same thing.  Trevor is 19 months old and has been a champion sleeper since about 4 months - crying maybe 5 times in the past 15 months - he usually just babbles himself to sleep within 10 minutes.  Tonight, and Sunday night he gave me such a hard time. Full on screaming.  I went in after 10 minutes, picked him up and he pretty much fell asleep instantly in my arms, but as soon as I tried to put him back in the crib the screaming started all over again. :( 

It was heartbreaking to listen to him cry.  Tonight it took almost 2 hours for him to finally fall asleep.  I hope it's just a phase!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Wow, I could have written your post myself!  In fact I'm usually just an occasional lurker but I came on here tonight to see if anyone else was having this same problem.  I have a 15-month-old son and he is SCREAMING at the top of his lungs when I put him down for naps/bedtime.  He used to be so good about just laying down and babbling until he fell asleep.  If he ever whined or cried, it was for 5 minutes max.  Just like you said, listening to him cry so hard for so long (last night it was on and off for an hour) is really getting to me.  

What the other posters said about separation anxiety makes sense, because he quiets immediately when I come into his room.  Today he cried for 30 minutes at naptime, and finally I went and got him.  He ended up falling asleep in my lap on the couch about 10 minutes later.  I just PRAY that this is a phase!   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"