Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

14 month old whining/screaming

My 14 month old DS is constantly (all day long) whining or screaming in short bursts. It's generally in regards to something he wants, but hard to tell half the time. He does it all day long at home, in the stroller, or in the cart if we run errands. It's generally so bad we have to just go home! It's driving me insane, and don't think anything obvious is wrong. Is this just a phase??? Is there something I should be doing? We generally try to distract, ignore, and/or tell him no. It doesn't seem to be helping though.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 14 month old whining/screaming

• Options
    pdxjennpdxjenn member

First off.... you are pregnant again!?!? yay!

2nd... I feel ya. Oz has become a professional whiner. Diaper changes and wiping up after meals are the worst!

• Options

Hi Jenn! YES, and you absolutely have to do newborn pics for us (come December)!

Well glad to know we're not alone. I hate this phase!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    pdxjennpdxjenn member
    OMG I have 4 friends due in Dec now!
  • Options

imagepdxjenn:
    OMG I have 4 friends due in Dec now!

Too funny, I know it does feel like a lot of people are due around the holidays!! Haha, maybe you're next? :)

• Options
    my son Vic, 13 months does the same thing....I am at the end of my rope some days.  The other problem is, he will not let anyone else in. He wants me and only me.  If I give him to my husband or other son, he just screams and screams......Does it get better when he learns words and can tell me what he wants?  Please tell me this phase will end!!!!  Have you received any advice that has helped?
  • Options

I'm in the same boat, and it can drive me crazy, too. It seems like the whining is usually related to "I want something, and you either can't figure it out, or you won't let me have it."

If I'm in the room, he wants me. I think if I'm not home, he's fine (or at least not whining and trying to jump into my arms).

I haven't really found a great solution, yet. Sometimes, redirection works. Sometimes, the paci works. Sometimes, going for a walk or a car ride works. Sometimes, nothing works.

We've been working on learning more signs, and that seems to be a little helpful. He doesn't know a ton of signs, but the ones he knows (milk, water, more, eat, up, sleep) are helpful.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has a magic solution! Or at least if someone can verify for us that it is in fact a phase, and it will change at some point. I want to know I'm not raising a maniac! :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

FYI: I just found this link that has some very helpful info/advice.

https://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/worries/whining.html

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for your posts ladies, it sounds like all our kids have a major attachment to us (as moms) which may be part of it. My DS ONLY wants me, all the time! UGH! I'm going to check out that link.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"