High-Risk Pregnancy

treated as high risk without the label?

I'm feeling like my doctor is treating this pregnancy as high risk without actually telling me I'm high risk. I have two uteri and because of this has ordered ultrasounds at every appointment since our anatomy scan at 18 weeks. He says it's to monitor growth. He also said at our very first appointment that my anatomy will not pose any problems, that it's more common than you'd think, and it's totally possible to have a healthy baby and natural delivery. At my last visit (24 weeks) he changed all this! He said I'd more than likely need a C-section because of positioning and lack of room in the uterus. He also said that because of possible growth restriction we'll be checking her growth with an ultrasound at every visit. He went on to say I need to begin keeping an eye out for pre-term labor since it's more common with UD (uterine didelphys). It definitely stressed me out to suddenly be hearing this (especially after initially hearing differently). If a pregnancy is high risk, will the doctor explicitly say so? Is it common to be treated high risk without being labeled as high risk?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: treated as high risk without the label?

• CHI-06CHI-06 member
    My Doctor never said to me 'you are high risk' ...if you are expecting those exact words that just might never happen.  For me I got the referral to a Maternal Fetal Med Dr and a change in monitoring plans...more appts, more u/s, NST's.... she said things like 'we will just have to watch you more closely' and 'you are more prone to xyz'  ...stuff like that.  She never actually said 'you are high risk'
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • imageCHI-06:
    My Doctor never said to me 'you are high risk' ...if you are expecting those exact words that just might never happen.  For me I got the referral to a Maternal Fetal Med Dr and a change in monitoring plans...more appts, more u/s, NST's.... she said things like 'we will just have to watch you more closely' and 'you are more prone to xyz'  ...stuff like that.  She never actually said 'you are high risk'

This. Though I am just GD, so far less serious of a complication.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • My last pregnancy there was a high risk sticker on my folder. I asked the nurse why, and she said its because I had gastric bypass (which was almost 10 years ago already). I still have no idea why this makes me high risk for childbirth, but the sticker is still there, although now I probably have GD.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So sorry you might have to go through some of what the doctor told you.  I was wondering the same thing (about being high risk).  Though my problem is small.  I have had recurring UTI's since I hit 14 weeks.  I have been on antibiotics since then as well.  I know the risk of preterm labor is greater with antibiotics, but I have had no symptoms of labor or anything like that.  I will be on antibiotics for the remainder of the pregnancy and even if test negative for GBS I will still have them in my IV.

Not sure if this makes me high risk or not, the Dr. I know wanted to do an extra ultrasound because of all that is going on in my urinary tract, but nothing really seems out of place and she said she isn't worried, just a precaution.

• I also have UD with two cervixes and a vaginal septum.  With this pregnancy and my last I had to go for transvaginal ultrasounds every two weeks from 14 to 24 weeks to check for cervical shortening.  After that, I went/ am going for growth ultrasounds every 4 weeks to make sure the baby is still growing. So far this baby is measuring right on schedule.

DD1 was born at 38 weeks only because my BP spiked at the end and they were afraid it might be pre-e (it wasn't).  I was induced and was able to have a med-free vaginal delivery with no problem.  She weighed 6 lb 4 oz and was 20 inches long and is now a happy, healthy 17 months old. 

People with UD do have a higher chance of c-section just because their babies run out of room to flip at the end and often end up breech.  At my 28 week u/s my baby is head down and my OB doesn't think she'll be able to flip back to breech anymore. 

There is a great community board on babycenter for people with UD. 

Good luck!!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"