April 2011 Moms

Those with LOs STTN

How do you do it? And go....
Hannah born 4/5/11
TTC #2 since 1/14
Miscarriage d/t blighted ovum 8/14

Re: Those with LOs STTN

• We haven't really done anything.. I guess we have somewhat of a routine, bottle around 9 or 9:30, change and in bed between 10 and 11 and even if she's wide awake she'll put herself to sleep within a half hour or so. She does fuss a bit usually between 6 and 6:30 but I don't even think she's awake when she does that because it's usually just a couple little noises I hear and then she's quiet again. I guess we're lucky that we have a baby who puts herself to sleep so easily lol!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSouthSideDrea:

I don't think you can make it happen before they are ready. Hen just started STTN a few times last week.  (though I have redefined the "through the night" part to include our new wake up time of 4:30)

I'm hoping the trend continues, but I'm not holding my breath.

this is us, around 10-10:30 until 4:30.  After 4:30 is usually his party time where he is wide awake and just wants to be held and played with so one of us gets up.  A couple of times he has gone back to bed after this feeding. 

Our routine is bath between 9-10 (depending on his last feeding as we don't have a schedule for that at all) then feeding after that and then rock a little and put him down.  He has been going to sleep pretty soon after the feeding and sleeping until around 4:30.  A couple of times he has woken up for a feeding at 1:30 and goes right back to sleep after that one.  

I think it just depends on the baby and there is only so much a parent can do honestly.

Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • Loading the player...
  • kgail11kgail11 member

DD only goes 3-3.5 hours at a stretch at night.. so I just wanted to say I am excited to see responses!!!

Though, I also agree that there's only SO much a parent can do. We do all the textbook things - white noise, slightly elevated PnP, swaddling, shh-ing, rocking, you name it - we do it. But she'll get there!! 

• I agree with Drea that you probably can't make it happen. All I can tell you is that at 6 weeks she started going down for the night at a more consistent time and staying asleep for longer stretches. I don't know if our routines help or not, but by the time she finishes that feeding, she is pretty much out like a light before I even put her down.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Two weeks ago, I finally remembered we have a Swaddleme. I put it on DD that night and she slept from 9 - 4. She did that for about a week and for the last week she's been sleeping until sometime between 6:30 - 7:30. We put her down anywhere between 9 and 10.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think there is some luck involved...

She's always fallen asleep around 10, It has just gotten longer as we have gone on. Gripe water has been incredibly helpful for any fussy nights. She sleeps so much better. And having a Swaddleme saves us. I also put down a heating pad in her crib most of the time, so when she lays down t it isn't too cold.

Good luck!

ETA: We sleep with a fan on as well

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD ~ 4/21/2011
    DD 2.0 ~ 12/30/2013

• I didn't realize how sensitive LO was to a routine, and accidentally created one without realizing it.  I figured it out one evening at my mom's when he was just crazy. 

We settle into the living room in the evening for family time.  He cluster feeds and sleeps in between.  At 11 ish, DH and I get ready for bed.  We get a clean diaper on him, swaddle, and nurse.  I put him down usually a bit drowsy, and he puts himself to sleep.  When he wakes up, I give him a couple minutes to determine if he's hungry, waking to pee (they don't go in their sleep), or just moving into a lighter sleep cycle.  If he's hungry, he will be persistent about it.  Either way, the earliest this happens is 4:30, but usually it's more like 6.  I get up, change him, nurse him sidelying, and we all go back to sleep until like 8.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • I've come to the conclusion that it's the schedule. Last night's was totally messed up. She had a bottle at 8:30 and fell asleep around 9:30 and was out cold so she didn't get another bottle before she went to bed. She was up at 4:30 to eat. She went back to sleep till 8 but the broken sleep is no where near as good as sleeping right through lol.
  • At her last bottle (usually around 9ish), I bring her upstairs and leave the lights in her room off.  I either give her a bath or wipe her down with a washcloth and change her into a sleeper.  Then I feed her while I play lullaby music.  After that, I put her in her sleep sack and read her a story.  After that, I rock her about 15 minutes until she is almost out cold and then put her down and she goes to sleep almost immediately.  She has been sleeping 10 until about 6:30 - 7:30 for about a week and a half now.
  • He's breastfed and usually sleeps 10:30pm to 6am, then again until 8:30am after his feeding. 

I found two things have been notable on the nights he sleeps through:

1)  We make the last feed of the night very mellow, in a dim room.  

2)   I've learned that just because he makes noises in the night, it doesn't mean that he needs to eat.  My little guy wakes up a few times a night and fusses to poop or talk, but then will go back to sleep.  He seems to have a distinctive louder cry when it's time to eat, and that's what I respond to.

• i think it is just luck.  and making sure they get enough calories during the day.  About 10 we put his night diaper and PJ's on.  Then go to our room, play a bit, lights out, BF and he is down by 11ish. Wakes around 5-5:30 to eat and then back to sleep until 7:30-8.
  • imagefreeerin:

He's breastfed and usually sleeps 10:30pm to 6am, then again until 8:30am after his feeding. 

I found two things have been notable on the nights he sleeps through:

1)  We make the last feed of the night very mellow, in a dim room.  

2)   I've learned that just because he makes noises in the night, it doesn't mean that he needs to eat.  My little guy wakes up a few times a night and fusses to poop or talk, but then will go back to sleep.  He seems to have a distinctive louder cry when it's time to eat, and that's what I respond to.

This! Baby girl will sometimes cry out a couple of times and when I look she's fast asleep still. I now wait to see if it continues and if it does I pick her up. Usually the real hungry cry is around 6 or 6:30.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"